Homeschoolers please help me! New baby and homeschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I homeschool my 4 and 7 year old and I am currently 28 (29 in two days) weeks pregnant and give birth in Feb. I will have tons of help coming my way for about a month when the baby is born. But was there anything you did to prepare yourself?

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM

I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a newborn. I homeschool the six year old only; the three year old doesn't go to school, but we don't do any formal work, either. Adding the third child really didn't slow us down much. We get a lot done while he nurses or I wear him bouncing on a ball. If I had a high needs or colicky baby, this addition might had challenged us more, but maybe you'll get lucky like me!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a newborn. I homeschool the six year old only; the three year old doesn't go to school, but we don't do any formal work, either. Adding the third child really didn't slow us down much. We get a lot done while he nurses or I wear him bouncing on a ball. If I had a high needs or colicky baby, this addition might had challenged us more, but maybe you'll get lucky like me!

:yeah

This is my experience too. I also am only doing school with my 6 yo (1rst grade) and my 3 yo just kind of tags along or entertains herself, and the baby nurses or sleeps while we do school. Even if the baby or 3 yo are particluarly fussy that day, we can easily table it and try again another time.I would plan on taking a couple of weeks to focus on yourself and the babe and recovering before you jump back into school. Giving myself that time made the transition less stressful.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM

I have a 7 year old, a 6 year old, a 4 year old, and a newborn, and I have to say, it has been a little more of a challenge than I anticipated but not much.  I am a little more tired than I remember being and I find that (of course) as long as I have thought the morning through, it goes pretty smoothly.  The baby usually takes one really long nap in the morning and that is when I get most of the work done with the older two.  And then there are those days that I have a fssy baby and I have to throw my hands up in the air and go to the park or for a walk in the woods!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! So basically...take breaks and roll with the punches?

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 AM

It's actually not too crazy until the baby starts moving.  Then - use naptime well. :)

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM

I think that is a great attitude.

I home school my 9 and  4 year old.

A new baby will also offer a whole new set of learning experiences for both your older children. 

One idea to give you a little time(maybe to be able to go to the bathroom with just one little person), I had my older son practice reading to his younger sister and it also created a tradition.

Happy Birthing!

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List