how to find speech therapy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS just turned 5. Technically he is homeschooling for preschool. His stuttering problem has been getting worse and I would like to get him in speech therapy. DH said that he stuttered until 1st grade. I asked him if he ever had speech therapy. He said no. But then he proceeds to tell me he did go off on his own 2x a week to play games with a different teacher ..yada yada. I'm like "that was speech and therapy". Apparently he didn't even know he got therapy.

Anyway...how do I get DS in therapy? Could he get it through the school he would go to? Would it be a problem that he is still technically a preschool age? Who would I contact?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I think this is the sort of thing that will depend on what country and province/state you're in. Is he preschool aged? And will he be going to school after this year? I know how this would play out where I live (where he's KG age by our cutoff) but I doubt you're where I am.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My son is 13 yrs old and has been in speech since age 20 months. At first, he received speech services at our house, through the county. When he was three, he received services at his preschool. Then he received services at his public school. He is homeschooled now, but still receives services at his old school. Speech services are free for all qualifying children until age 18 where we live. I would start with the local preschool and find out how you can get an evaluation and where you would have to go.
#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

We live in Indiana. And no, he won't be going to school next year. He is preschool age now, since he just turned 5 this month. We plan on continuing to homeschooling him next year as well.
#5 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

He is preschool age now, since he just turned 5 this month. 

Yeah, I get that he just turned 5, but where I live the cutoff is the end of December, so in places like mine he'd be considered school-age. Thanks for confirming. I agree with starting with inquiries via a local preschool, or if there's an early intervention program near you, that would be another good place to enquire.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 6 Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 AM

In Wisconsin, one has the legal right to call the elementary school that is in their 'zone" or close to their home and request services.  My 4 year old is in speech now and is not school age until next year because his birthday is after Sept. 1st.

To get him (and 3 siblings) speech I called our local elementary school and spoke with the principal who got us rolling :)

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page