"Educational" minecraft servers to join? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One of my kids loves minecraft and has had chances to play it at a friends house where there is an extra laptop...The mom thought she had heard of "servers" where other homeschoolers or maybe educators have created worlds with architecture that goes along with ancient history or some such? Or just with groups of other kids that could basically be counted on to be nice? Anyways, if anyone has any info on how to join homeschool-related servers, that would be awesome! You could post or pm me if you want, thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not sure about free homeschool servers although I am sure there are some.  You could contact Minecraft Homeschool http://minecrafthomeschool.com I am sure they'd know a lot about different things available.  These guys also offer paid classes if you and your kid are interested.

#3 of 9 Old 12-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post

Not sure about free homeschool servers although I am sure there are some.  You could contact Minecraft Homeschool http://minecrafthomeschool.com I am sure they'd know a lot about different things available.  These guys also offer paid classes if you and your kid are interested.

We're doing the holiday server of the one linked above.  It SHOULD have been good in theory but it's not really working out that way and I'm not sure if that's because it's not one of their regular classes and/or because we didn't pay the extra $5 for it to be a "graded" thing.

I find my son gets on there and plays with other kids, but I didn't get any communication about what he's supposed to be doing each week and so he's not been doing any research to contribute meaningfully to the environment.  For example: one week they should've been working on "The Forbidden City" and adding things related to ancient China.  That would mean they need to find out what BELONGS in a city in ancient China... right?  But so far as I can see, nothing holds my kid accountable for doing that.  Does that make sense?  And *I* cannot hold him accountable because I don't know what the goal is for the week.

I do intend to e-mail them about this before signing him up again, though.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#4 of 9 Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Could someone give me a quick description of minecraft? My DS was exposed to it over the holidays.
#5 of 9 Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

Could someone give me a quick description of minecraft? My DS was exposed to it over the holidays.

It's a video game where the person playing mines and harvests various items like iron ore, wood, wool (shears sheep for it), etc.  Then they use the items that they harvested to create other things (i.e. iron ore = shears for the wool).  My 6 year old hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet, but my 45-year-old husband loves it duh.gif

Mom to 2 boys, Ian (6) and Duncan (4)

HR goddess and Soapmaker - check my profile for a link to my lovely soap blog!

#6 of 9 Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool. Sounds better than the games my boyfriend plays. ;-)
#7 of 9 Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There's also a TON of building and creating things.  So a kid who likes architecture or Legos could be in their glory.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#8 of 9 Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Hello,

I am a k-12 teacher who has been running a Minecraft in the classroom pilot for the last two years. Here is the blog accounting our work: www.craft-academy.com

I recently launched an educational server custom made for the classroom setting that can be subscribed to on a month-to-month basis.

- No violence

- No foul language

- Private plots for making projects

- Fun mini games

- Safe and Secure private server

http://educrafting.enjin.com

Come take a look!

#9 of 9 Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Another great homeschool server is Skrafty - they have homeschool classes as well as an open server for the kids to play.  

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page