Accredited, affordable HS curriculum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

First of all, I should mention that English is not our kids' native language. We are Romanians and we live in Romania but we try talking in English to our kids. I would like to find a curriculum that can help my 6 years old to read and write in English but there are so many and I have no idea which are the best and also accredited. We need a mixed curriculum as my DD is advanced in science and good at Maths but of course, she needs a begginer level for English.

Please give me some advice as HS in Romania is very rare and actually "illegal".

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
#2 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

well, you are asking the WRONG question (trust me I know what I am talking about here - here I sit next to a big stack of books! :wink) - 

your question should be - HOW do I get stuff!!! oh, it's out there--- getting it to you is the question(S)! 

I know this is really not the correct spot for this but I really hope someone has an good answer to my question!

Finding is one issue, getting it to Romania is what I have found to be the hard problem - there are things on Ebay & Amazon but few will ship to Romania and the COST - ah! :( it's not bad to buy things and many items can be found nearly new

Can someone help with that? I have looked into DSL (no center in my area, I don't even have a UPS store- just drops) UPS also hasn't been great as far as the web site goes - you get so far and it tells you to call and that has not worked will with Christmas and the wait time…….and USPS isn't helping me! My local USPS knows how to ship Global Priority and that's it! but I have gone on line and see it can be sent other ways - the problem is my local USPS isn't helpful when it comes to understanding the VAT and other charges - what is the best way to ship and what makes it the easiest if you send a mix package (be it media mail (books, papers) and ALSO a gift in the same package) I have also looked into bulk shipping to Romania (I see there is a place in Florida) but I am in the North East of the US and I am also not planning to ship 50+lbs! either - so if anyone knows how to do ----PLEASE help here!

IMO - books, book and more books!! are what is needed but the best way to ship these weighty items is what needs to be figured out!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What if you bought a kindle?  My kids love reading on ours.  You can get tons of great reading material for free, and once you paid the crazy shipping once to get it to you, everything else is downloadable.

I don't know about accredited, but maybe there is an online English learning program?  Or, perhaps you can find something to print off.  I hear easypeasyhomeschool.com has a super simple, all online, and free curriculum.  It is for native English speakers, but learning in English would surely be a good start?

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page