In search of buddhist curriculum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there! I'am a buddhist-ish mom of two that's looking to start a new curriculum based on Buddhism but am having trouble finding it. I was hoping to finding a curriculum a fellow mommy has had success with smile.gif
My kids are in beginning elementary.
Thanks so much
Nikki:o
#2 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I don't really understand. Hum , how would you expect it to be different than any other curriculum?
Would math or science have a different motivation? I could see reading humm
If you find anything I would really be interested.
Anyone else have advice or ideas?
#3 of 3 Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know Christianity has a lot of curriculum for homeschooling but I personal think that lifestyle or religious training really comes from a religious center in town, parents and family. I have some book ideas anyway, I think you could just add your own books and meditation/yoga, whatever times to any curriculum.  I teach at a buddhist inspired preschool and here are some ideas from what we add to our curriculum...

-we practice empathy with each other. we check in on friends who are sad or who have gotten hurt

-we honor emotions, we don't try to distract a child who is sad or mad or happy or hyper, we just sit with them and describe what they are feeling and really emphasize that it's ok to just allow the feeling to come and then allow it to go

-we talk about how everything we do in our day is a 'practice'. cleaning up our bowls after snack, caring for our toys, placing our feet on the ground

-We fill a mason jar with water, glitter and glycerine, when we feel angry or when we just need to feel quite, we shake up the jar, telling it our angry thoughts, and then we sit and watch the glitter settle, just like our angry thoughts have settled... (From the book Moody Cow Meditates)

-We bless the earth and our food before snack, then we 'make the silence', consisting of ringing a gong and listen silently until the sound fades away then we ring it again and bow to ourselves and to our freinds

-we talk about respect for all living things, when there are squirrels in the yard we make feeders for them, if worms are on the sidewalk we place them somewhere safe, a buck comes to visit and we watch it move through the yard and send it love

Books

-Thich nhat hahn "planting seeds, practicing mindfulness with children", he has another book that comes with a dvd that is about mindful movements for children. both are great!

-Tibetan tales for little buddhas, i forget who this is by

-moody cow meditates, kerry maclean, i think she has a new book coming out soon

-Ahn's anger, and steps and stones by gail silver

-ram dass and several of the big teacher's have meditations that can be practiced by families

-and there are tons of yoga for kids books. kids are so movement oriented that sometimes their meditation times may need to be based in some sort of movement like yoga

good luck!

tracyamber likes this.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page