wondering...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

I am a single mom getting ready to begin graduate school in the fall. I have a first and second grader.  I'm feeling really enthusiastic about taking the plunge into homeschooling next year.  I think we would begin this summer in order to establish a routine before my own school begins.  I would love to hear stories, ideas or support around homeschooling single moms, especially if you were in school yourself at the time.  I would love to hear people's favorite curriculum choices.  I am currently a teacher in a waldorf inspired preschool and I am drawn to waldorf but am open to other schooling as well.  Talk to me!!

#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi boogalu ... coming into your thread to give it a wee bump!
My situation is not similar to yours, but I can say that there are many single parents homeschooling in our homeschool/unschool community. And one friend of mine was in school doing her masters for several years at the same time.
I hope others chime in with some insight from the trenches, as it were.
Do you think you'll use a curriculum? Or something looser? If I were going to school myself, I think I'd like to give my family as much slack as possible, so I doubt I'd do a curriculum or even a set 'school' time for desk work.
I think I'd focus on project based homelearning, which -- I'm happy to admit -- is what we're doing at our house.
Whatever makes it easier on you, mama!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hi! I'm a single homeschooling mom to my 6-year-old (1st grade) and 3-year-old (though I don't do anything formal with him yet). I'm not in school, but I do work full time nights and weekends and some daytime hours(from home), so I know a bit about  the time management issues :)  I think it's a great idea to work out your routine first, it honestly took us months to adjust this year to the new schedule!

Whether you choose a strict curriculum or a more relaxed method depends a lot on your personality.  I wanted/needed planned out lessons this year because I was in the midst of figuring out custody and didn't want ex to be able to claim we weren't doing enough, so we went with a public charter.  It works well for that purpose, in that it keeps track of everything very closely, but it is definitely too regimented for us in general.  It is nice to just be able to have planned out lessons, but it is frustrating to feel like we can't pause and explore anything more in depth since we have to finish things in a certain time frame. 

I'm hoping to go back to homeschooling on our own next year.  I will still likely purchase some curriculum so that I don't have tons of preplanning that needs to be done-I can pick up a new lesson when needed, but still have the flexibility to change things around to best suit us and our schedule. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks mamas! this is great advice.  I'm attracted to buying a curriculum simply because it seems easier in a way, I won't need to worry about planning for each day. But then again, I'm not good at sticking to plans when the kids are drawn into deeper study of some areas….@greenemami what do you do with the kids while you are working?

I am definitely going to look into project based learning! thank you

#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 AM

Subscribing. I'm not a single mom, but I'm in graduate school and seriously thinking about homeschooling my littles. I love the project idea, and I'm interested in hearing about families where the primary homeschool facilitator is in school full-time. I think the big thing is going to be the record-keeping, though that may work seamlessly with you since you need a certain level of organization for your own personal school work. Unschooling and project-style stuff seems like it would be a seamless way to get quality time as a family *and* have the ability to count as "schooling," especially in the early elementary grades.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page