Thinking of homeschool, wondering if I can?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-31-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by my son's school situation...just wanted to get a little encouragement from other homeschooling mamas!  We are currently leaning toward homeschool, but having him attend PS for a couple hours a day to get his special ed services, "specials" like art & music, and a little peer interaction. 

He has dyslexia, dysgraphia, and ADHD...speech and motor delays, for which he gets therapy at school.  IEP is not going well - the classroom environment is just not right for him. After months of trying to get the school to pull their heads out of their @$$, I finally figured I could do a better job myself.  I know I can teach him better, and give him topics of interest to study in a way that works with his learning style.  The problem is, I have 2 other kiddos and one more on the way! 

How do you mamas do it?! I feel like I can hardly keep up with things as they are...with 3 kids running around, my house is a constantly disorganized mess, and I stink at structuring my time or sticking to a schedule. (guess my son comes by his ADHD naturally! LOL)  I just REALLY want to do the best I can for my kids, and I'm worried that my own shortcomings are going to be their downfall. Feeling really overloaded but wanting to be optimistic about this.

Any thoughts?

Mostly SAH mama bf.jpg with DS1, 8yo blahblah.gif  DS2, 5yobouncy.gif   DD1, 3yoenergy.gif& my awesome DH surf.gif  Waiting for DD2, due Aug 2014!  stork-girl.gif 
#2 of 34 Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3beasties View Post

How do you mamas do it?! I feel like I can hardly keep up with things as they are...with 3 kids running around, my house is a constantly disorganized mess, and I stink at structuring my time or sticking to a schedule. 

You are assuming things are different at our house? :wink 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 34 Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 PM

Yep. Sounds about right!
#4 of 34 Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

LOL - thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!! :Sheepish  I guess I somehow have this ideal of being a homeschooling mom (picture this in my little dream bubble): Kids who follow me in a cute little duckling line, pick up their toys when asked (the first time) and don't fight with each other...a mom who can turn baking cookies into a math & science lesson after a nice day of working on various projects they've chosen, and they've helped me clean the house, get the laundry done and folded, etc.  HA! Dream on, right?!

It is so frustrating to have DH come home and ask "What did you DO all day? The house looks exactly the same as it did this morning!"  I have told him before that if the house just looks the same, I consider it a "win"...without my intervention, it would certainly look like a tornado blew through the place.  He sometimes does - but then doesn't - understand how hard it is, and that there are just not enough hours in the day to do all the things I "should" be doing.

I'm constantly going out of my mind dealing with DS's school stuff, caring for all the kids, potty learning with a stubborn almost 3yo, trying to keep up with some of the mess, grocery shopping, meals, etc...not like I'm telling you mamas anything new!  But I guess I've been feeling like I am doing too much, and not doing any of it well enough, and it makes me wonder if homeschooling will be easier or not. Sigh. I suppose in all reality, it certainly can't be worse than dealing with the school and a stressed out kid! :wink

So how do I get started? Do I just set aside a certain time for learning, have DS pick a subject, and go with it? I figure he needs frequent breaks, so a little work, a little outside time, a little more work, a music break, etc. might work well for him.

Mostly SAH mama bf.jpg with DS1, 8yo blahblah.gif  DS2, 5yobouncy.gif   DD1, 3yoenergy.gif& my awesome DH surf.gif  Waiting for DD2, due Aug 2014!  stork-girl.gif 
#5 of 34 Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:

LOL - thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!! :Sheepish  I guess I somehow have this ideal of being a homeschooling mom (picture this in my little dream bubble): Kids who follow me in a cute little duckling line, pick up their toys when asked (the first time) and don't fight with each other...a mom who can turn baking cookies into a math & science lesson after a nice day of working on various projects they've chosen, and they've helped me clean the house, get the laundry done and folded, etc.  HA! Dream on, right?!

We have an entire curriculum, "Diplomacy or Sibling Retribution, Pathways to Consider", supplemented with a vigorous study in "Advanced Tactics: Namecalling, Threats, and the Eternal Cold Shoulder".  We are just beginning "Whispering Insults: An Introduction to Passive-Aggressive Models" with enthusiasm.  We've already advanced from the lower levels for the younger set:  "Snatching: Yes, You Can!" and "Biting: When Words Fail You", though I suspect we need a review.  Those were fun!

HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3beasties View Post

It is so frustrating to have DH come home and ask "What did you DO all day? The house looks exactly the same as it did this morning!"  

OK, not kidding, this truly sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my3beasties View Post

So how do I get started? Do I just set aside a certain time for learning, have DS pick a subject, and go with it? I figure he needs frequent breaks, so a little work, a little outside time, a little more work, a music break, etc. might work well for him.

What you start with might well be different from what you will be doing a year from now.  I think others might have better advice here, but I think the second idea would be a good place to start.  It would let him see the benefits of homeschooling right away.  It would allow you to start small in an area that already has his interest.  I would simply support his interests and see what tolerance he has for your participation:  he might be self-motivated and want to work alone after you help him set up, he might want close one-on-one assistance, or a combination of the two.  Learn how your son learns, find what his rhythms are, when he needs to move, etc.

Then, of course, when the new one arrives, I would stick with the less parent-intensive methods for a while.  Focus on being a family and don't think that you have to power through. Hopefully dh will see what a good situation this is for your son and will be supportive of less intensive (or no) homeschoolng for a while.

wookumus likes this.

#6 of 34 Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

We have an entire curriculum, "Diplomacy or Sibling Retribution, Pathways to Consider", supplemented with a vigorous study in "Advanced Tactics: Namecalling, Threats, and the Eternal Cold Shoulder".  We are just beginning "Whispering Insults: An Introduction to Passive-Aggressive Models" with enthusiasm.  We've already advanced from the lower levels for the younger set:  "Snatching: Yes, You Can!" and "Biting: When Words Fail You", though I suspect we need a review.  Those were fun!

HA!

What you start with might well be different from what you will be doing a year from now.  I think others might have better advice here, but I think the second idea would be a good place to start.  It would let him see the benefits of homeschooling right away.  It would allow you to start small in an area that already has his interest.  I would simply support his interests and see what tolerance he has for your participation:  he might be self-motivated and want to work alone after you help him set up, he might want close one-on-one assistance, or a combination of the two.  Learn how your son learns, find what his rhythms are, when he needs to move, etc.

Then, of course, when the new one arrives, I would stick with the less parent-intensive methods for a while.  Focus on being a family and don't think that you have to power through. Hopefully dh will see what a good situation this is for your son and will be supportive of less intensive (or no) homeschoolng for a while.

:lol Oh, SweetSilver, thank you - I love the way you think!!  We're currently studying "Yelling: Is the Loudest the Rightest?" and "Shoving, Scratching, and Pinching: When You Don't Get Your Way".  (The latter is a progression from "Sharing: When You Had It First".)  Also included are courses in "Ignoring Requests 101" and "Pregnancy Hormones: How to Tell When Mom Has Had Enough".

I like your idea about letting DS see the benefits of homeschooling right away - he's already so fed up with school, I know he would be thrilled to work on a science project instead of a bunch of mind-numbing worksheets. I think his needs for my participation will depend largely on the subject at hand, as he still needs quite a bit of support with reading & writing, but is like a sponge for absorbing information through videos/visual input and hands-on, experiential learning. 

I'll start small, one project at a time, and see how we can make things flow!  Then hopefully by the time the baby comes along, we'll have enough of a foundation and rhythm to it that he can take more initiative for a while. And if we end up taking it easy for a few weeks, so be it!!  DH agrees that a project-based homeschool "curriculum" would be better for him, and help him learn to focus on and follow through with one thing at a time.  I think once we get started, DH will see the benefits - and he'd love it even more if I take on homeschool projects with the little ones. I got them a bunch of Montessori materials & work rugs for Christmas, and if I can implement that to encourage their learning alongside big brother, it would be awesome. 

Starting to feel much more positive about this, and I think I can totally do it! :)

#7 of 34 Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:

:lol Oh, SweetSilver, thank you - I love the way you think!!  We're currently studying "Yelling: Is the Loudest the Rightest?" and "Shoving, Scratching, and Pinching: When You Don't Get Your Way".  (The latter is a progression from "Sharing: When You Had It First".)  Also included are courses in "Ignoring Requests 101" and "Pregnancy Hormones: How to Tell When Mom Has Had Enough".

I'm glad it's helpful.  My sense of humor has been cultivated through years of trial by fire.  Any person with less resilience in my place would have sent both my girls to school from the outset.

Quote:

Starting to feel much more positive about this, and I think I can totally do it! :)

:joy 

my3beasties likes this.

#8 of 34 Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

I hear ya! Without a sense of humor, I'd have been tossed in the looney bin long ago.  Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that humor and a shift in attitude can defuse many stressful situations.

Feeling good about this now - if I just remember to lighten up on myself, I can do it!

Interesting aside story: Last night while I was at work, DS's kindergarten teacher came in for dinner. She was an AWFUL teacher, mean-spirited and demanding perfection of the kids, which DS was not able to deliver. In spite of all my efforts to get him accommodations, she still did things like take away recess for not finishing his handwriting practice, and making him sit on the bench to finish - next to the kid who got benched for punching someone. He was a WRECK in her class, to the point that I pulled him out & switched schools. I couldn't stand her!!  So many parents complained, that she didn't teach there anymore - I think she "retired" early.  But here she was at the restaurant, happily sipping a glass of wine, chatting with me like I was her long-lost best friend, asking how DS is doing.  It made me realize that school doesn't just have a negative effect on children, but on adults as well!  She must have been burnt out teaching, and taking it out on the kids...but once she no longer had the school's expectations weighing on her, she turned into a happier person. We know how unhappy our kids can be in school, it was just a real eye-opener to see the same thing from a teacher. Made me even happier about deciding to homeschool him.

#9 of 34 Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by my son's school situation...just wanted to get a little encouragement from other homeschooling mamas!  We are currently leaning toward homeschool, but having him attend PS for a couple hours a day to get his special ed services, "specials" like art & music, and a little peer interaction. 

I just brought in my intent to home school in for my 6 year old son Jaden last week. He refuses to go to school, most days, desperately voicing a variety of anxieties surrounding conforming as instructed and feeling vulnerable while away from us. This is his second year of kindergarten, so it's not like we (myself and the support staff) haven't really tried to get him comfortable. It's just not his learning style.  I am hoping for a similar situation taking advantage of his IEP for services (he is classified as having developmental delay). Is anyone doing this? Jaden loves his friends and the specials. We love the school,too. But things are falling apart as the lessons become more challenging. He just will not give himself to learning there. His IEP specifically mentions social skills. How do I find out if that is an option for him?

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#10 of 34 Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri31 View Post

I just brought in my intent to home school in for my 6 year old son Jaden last week. He refuses to go to school, most days, desperately voicing a variety of anxieties surrounding conforming as instructed and feeling vulnerable while away from us. This is his second year of kindergarten, so it's not like we (myself and the support staff) haven't really tried to get him comfortable. It's just not his learning style.  I am hoping for a similar situation taking advantage of his IEP for services (he is classified as having developmental delay). Is anyone doing this? Jaden loves his friends and the specials. We love the school,too. But things are falling apart as the lessons become more challenging. He just will not give himself to learning there. His IEP specifically mentions social skills. How do I find out if that is an option for him?

I would call an IEP review meeting and talk to his classroom teacher & the principal, special ed department, etc. You can express your concerns, and discuss the option of attending partial days to receive specials instruction and special ed services. You will have to withdraw him from the school and they will consider him homeschooled, while still receiving special services through the district.  They are required by law to do provide a "free and appropriate education", and if you feel this is the best option for your child, they will accommodate it.  This is exactly what we're looking at doing right now!

My DS loves his friends, specials, speech & OT, but gets so overloaded with the classroom expectations...it's just too much to process for him.  I plan on homeschooling him for his core subjects (he needs immense help reading & writing due to various conditions), and he will attend school for 2-3 hours each morning to do specials & special ed. I feel like this will help him tremendously, so he still gets some peer interaction, but not so much classroom time that he's overwhelmed...and I can work with him using techniques that are actually effective for his learning style, which they are NOT utilizing at school in spite of my best efforts and multiple sources giving recommendations.

Hopefully your son's school can do the same - it might just be a great option for him!  Let me know how it turns out! :) 

#11 of 34 Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM

My younger sister has dyslexia and ADHD and we were both homeschooled. She went to a weekly tutor for dyslexia for a few years, and I think homeschooling really helped her get the individual attention she needed. Granted, I am seven years older than her and was mostly doing my own thing by that point, so that probably helped my mom, but I can tell you we had plenty of chaos in our house! Don't sweat it! :)

my3beasties likes this.

Me (25) & DH (28) - Married 10/20/12, Together since 2008

Waiting impatiently to TTC #1

namaste.gifhomeschool.gifnocirc.gif hippie.gif

#12 of 34 Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I did it! Yesterday, I filed the intent to homeschool with his principal - today is his last full day.  He starts homeschool on Monday - YAY! We'll have every Mon for field trips, a homeschool day with all the kids.  Then he'll attend school for specials Tues-Fri mornings for a little over 2 hours, and I'll spend an hour prior with him in the library reading. Afternoons will be spent on homeschool projects, experiential learning, educational videos with little quizzes after, Montessori-style "works" for the little ones while he does his projects, etc. I think this will be a good way to start, and it should be lots of fun!  Getting excited about it now, want to stay positive and come at this energetically. :)

#13 of 34 Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM

great thread, i read a few too many "perfect" hs blogs out there and figure there's no way i can do it by the end of the article.  not real life!  you guys describe real life, thank you!!

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#14 of 34 Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookumus View Post

great thread, i read a few too many "perfect" hs blogs out there and figure there's no way i can do it by the end of the article.  not real life!  you guys describe real life, thank you!!

That's what I had been feeling too! I'd read these articles and blogs, and feel like they're these Super Moms who have some kind of magic spell over their perfectly behaved kids, and they skip around the immaculate house singing songs, blissfully doing homeschool projects and botany lessons in their Martha Stewart-esque garden, while Snow White's bird friends chirp on their shoulders.  Maybe they're just painting a rosy picture, and their real life is much more like ours. :mischief

Now I feel like it's OK to have slightly organized chaos, to have household chores take a backseat, to continually work on positive interaction between siblings. Such a relief not to feel like I have to live up to some impossible standard!

#15 of 34 Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:

That's what I had been feeling too! I'd read these articles and blogs, and feel like they're these Super Moms who have some kind of magic spell over their perfectly behaved kids, and they skip around the immaculate house singing songs, blissfully doing homeschool projects and botany lessons in their Martha Stewart-esque garden, while Snow White's bird friends chirp on their shoulders.  Maybe they're just painting a rosy picture, and their real life is much more like ours. mischievous.gif

Now I feel like it's OK to have slightly organized chaos, to have household chores take a backseat, to continually work on positive interaction between siblings. Such a relief not to feel like I have to live up to some impossible standard!

Yup, the latter situation sums up our life. Although sometimes our chaos is not even slightly organized!
my3beasties likes this.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#16 of 34 Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM

It's not always the intention of the blogger.  You'll see what happens as you go.  Some days stand out as worth sharing with others.  You add several dozen of those posts, and it paints a certain picture that by itself does not reflect your reality.  

It's a bit like watching TV.  Your mind paints in what you think should be happening beyond the edges-- but instead you would really find lights and microphones, and maybe that scenery ends right past the picture frame.  Film production does this on purpose, takes advantage of that filling-in the brain wants to do, but I think most bloggers have no such intention.  

It would be nice if people would be willing to share the downsides as well as the upsides, to see how they cope because we all have them and they can be our biggest challenges.  The mundane, too, doesn't get enough coverage.  Sort of like the "making of" specials on DVDs.  Once the magic has been experienced, come on over and see how it really is.

my3beasties likes this.

#17 of 34 Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 AM

I never thought I could homeschool because frankly, I was a terrible SCHOOL mom! "Bring 50cents on Tuesday. Send close-toed shoes on Friday. Sign this. Donate to that. Be at this meeting and that party...."  I could hardly keep up!  Oh and I rarely had my kids to school on time. My son once said, "Mommy, you have to quit making me late to KINDER-GARTEN."

So you can imagine that taking the plunge to homeschool was a stretch. I am a fun and creative mom - but not an organized one.  I am a people person too, so I was worried about feeling trapped at home with 24/7 kid duty.

Anyway, I am starting my 3rd year of homeschooling and I am loving it. I know my kids better now than I ever did when they were in school. We have been participating in Classical Conversations, which has been a stabilizer for us. We are moving toward more of a Project Based Homeschooling method now, as the children are 12,10,8. I have my footing a little bit stronger, and this method seems to fit with my personality (and the lifestyle of our family).

The reason I started the ironically named blog homeschoolqueen.com is for people like us, who have the desire to take the step into homeschool, but are not sure they have the "skills" or "patience" to do it.  Just want to say YOU CAN DO IT! If I can, literally anyone can.  My husband doesn't like it when I say that, but it's true!  

my3beasties likes this.
#18 of 34 Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM

My blog is ironically named homeschoolqueen.com - with the intention of busting the myth that you have to be some kind of supermom to homeschool. WRONG ANSWER!  If I can do it, anyone can.

http://homeschoolqueen.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/off-with-her-head/

my3beasties likes this.
#19 of 34 Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I would call an IEP review meeting and talk to his classroom teacher & the principal, special ed department, etc. You can express your concerns, and discuss the option of attending partial days to receive specials instruction and special ed services. You will have to withdraw him from the school and they will consider him homeschooled, while still receiving special services through the district.  They are required by law to do provide a "free and appropriate education", and if you feel this is the best option for your child, they will accommodate it.  This is exactly what we're looking at doing right now!

My DS loves his friends, specials, speech & OT, but gets so overloaded with the classroom expectations...it's just too much to process for him.  I plan on homeschooling him for his core subjects (he needs immense help reading & writing due to various conditions), and he will attend school for 2-3 hours each morning to do specials & special ed. I feel like this will help him tremendously, so he still gets some peer interaction, but not so much classroom time that he's overwhelmed...and I can work with him using techniques that are actually effective for his learning style, which they are NOT utilizing at school in spite of my best efforts and multiple sources giving recommendations.

Hopefully your son's school can do the same - it might just be a great option for him!  Let me know how it turns out! :) 

I just heard back from the coordinator. They will do services,but it has to be scheduled as it was during the school year. Which is every day- which overly constrains OUR schedule. In which case, I think I will drop the the whole thing. No specials for non students. It was worth a shot. Hope everything is going smooth for you. :rainbow

#20 of 34 Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeschool Quee View Post

I never thought I could homeschool because frankly, I was a terrible SCHOOL mom! "Bring 50cents on Tuesday. Send close-toed shoes on Friday. Sign this. Donate to that. Be at this meeting and that party...."  I could hardly keep up!  Oh and I rarely had my kids to school on time. My son once said, "Mommy, you have to quit making me late to KINDER-GARTEN."

So you can imagine that taking the plunge to homeschool was a stretch. I am a fun and creative mom - but not an organized one.  I am a people person too, so I was worried about feeling trapped at home with 24/7 kid duty.

Anyway, I am starting my 3rd year of homeschooling and I am loving it. I know my kids better now than I ever did when they were in school. We have been participating in Classical Conversations, which has been a stabilizer for us. We are moving toward more of a Project Based Homeschooling method now, as the children are 12,10,8. I have my footing a little bit stronger, and this method seems to fit with my personality (and the lifestyle of our family).

The reason I started the ironically named blog homeschoolqueen.com is for people like us, who have the desire to take the step into homeschool, but are not sure they have the "skills" or "patience" to do it.  Just want to say YOU CAN DO IT! If I can, literally anyone can.  My husband doesn't like it when I say that, but it's true!  

Awesome!! I could probably write something like this myself in a few years! :wink I SUCK at being a school mom, but because my kids have all sorts of food intolerances I always get to coordinate class parties and such, so they can have "safe" snacks...and all the parents of other kids with allergies are SOOOO happy to have my help. But I'm late almost everywhere I go, can't seem to remember anything (like homework, Valentines cards, snow pants, you name it), and it's always some kind of juggling act to keep things together.

I am so excited about homeschool!  Yesterday was our first day, and we jumped right into Greek Mythology & how it influenced artists and authors centuries later, like when Shakespeare turned the tragic myth of Pyramus & Thisby on its ear in his comedy "A Midsummer Night's Dream". My son was CRACKING up, loved it!! There is no way public school would have covered something like that until probably 11th grade. I feel like this is going to be great for all of us.

Thanks for posting your blog - I will check it out! Might just wind up liking it so well, I'll get all the kids on board. :)

#21 of 34 Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just heard back from the coordinator. They will do services,but it has to be scheduled as it was during the school year. Which is every day- which overly constrains OUR schedule. In which case, I think I will drop the the whole thing. No specials for non students. It was worth a shot. Hope everything is going smooth for you. :rainbow

That's no fun - similar to what we're dealing with now. My schedule has just gotten nuts. DS2 to preschool from 8:30-12:30, and DS1 from 9:45-12. Really?! And they're making him do reading & spelling with the one teacher he hates...he was literally crying today when he found that out. So looking at the reality of the situation, I think we'll ditch the partial day idea after all and just do homeschool.  Hope you have good luck with your guy!  Maybe you could do some extracurricular activities with him to help with social skills?  The rec center in our town has a ton of fun programs, not too expensive.

#22 of 34 Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I am so excited about homeschool!  Yesterday was our first day, and we jumped right into Greek Mythology & how it influenced artists and authors centuries later, like when Shakespeare turned the tragic myth of Pyramus & Thisby on its ear in his comedy "A Midsummer Night's Dream". My son was CRACKING up, loved it!! There is no way public school would have covered something like that until probably 11th grade. I feel like this is going to be great for all of us.

If he likes the Greek Mythology and Shakespeare, I highly recommend Marcia William's books, though the format would appeal to some people more than others.  It make take him on some tangents, but that can be good!  She has 2 books on Shakespeare, several on Greek mythology, if you include the Odyssey and Iliad.  She also has books on Egyptian mythology, Chaucer, Robin Hood, all kinds of great volumes.  The Shakespeare books are great for adults as well, as they give the best synopsis of the plays I have seen.  My girls love the comic-book-style format, and I love the snippets of the original language.  Always wonderfully illustrated.

Also slightly on tangent to Greek/Roman myths, we also really loved Zoo in the Sky and others of that series on the stars and planets.  Christina Balit (illustrator) has her pictures gracing some of our favorite books of Greek myths--Heracles and others-- and from other cultures, such as her story of Ishtar.  DD1 started her reading adventures with the graphic novel "Perseus and Medusa", her favorite story which we read in many incarnations.

Finally, once we had a deep familiarity with Greek myth, I read Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief to her.

I couldn't help but recommend these to you.  We had our time immersed in Greek mythology, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  My oldest has always loved predators, the toothier the better, and she loved the monsters, especially the Chimera which Belleraphon fought on the back of Pegasus.

#23 of 34 Old 02-13-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh!! Thanks for sharing - I will definitely check these out! Taking notes to look for them on Monday when we do library day... notes2.gif

DS1 definitely loves monsters and predators - so does DS2. I was going to start with the Greek creation myths, so he gets an idea of who the "main players" are and some background, then skip around to the different heroes and nasty critters...like the Chimera, Medusa, the riddle of the Sphinx, etc. I think they'll all love the stories...I did! (My Yiayia - Greek grandma - was a high school English teacher, and I have the mythology book she taught from...I ate that thing up as a kid.)

We're also getting into writing short stories.  I realized school has made him terrified to write, when I asked him what the essential elements of a story are, and the first thing he said was "Punctuation? Spelling?" duh.gif  No, my dear boy!! Creativity! Character, setting, plot, theme! All of a sudden the light bulb went on, and it was like this weight was lifted. "You mean I can just be creative, and not worry about spelling and stuff until later?!" YES!!!  So he started with recounting a very vivid dream he had in short story form, and WOW this kid has an imagination, so visually descriptive! 

Score: Homeschool - 1000, School - Zip. :joy

#24 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Feeling so down today. I feel like I must be delusional, how can I school Jaden when I my attention and responsibilities are so scattered? The baby just wants to be cuddled, and I can't sit with her 10 seconds. She (21 months) and we are all struggling. I am not giving anyone what they need. I am loosing ground, it hasn't even been 3 weeks! Support, OMG please pray for me. I have never felt so naive. I am!

#25 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

tri, have you done any period of de-schooling? If he was having that many anxieties about school it would be especially helpful to get a break and just do life for a week or so. If you want to bring in seatwork do that after a break, and maybe it doesn't need to be the bulk of the day, just something to knock out really quick and move on to something more fun or productive. Many kids in countries and schools where they aren't given academics before age 7 catch up to those who are formally schooled early on very very quickly when it is introduced, so I wouldn't worry about falling behind at this point.

my3beasties likes this.
#26 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Thank you so much for the life line.tomato.gif Yes, Jaden has red lined with school big time. Deschooling for a few days sounds like a wise move, otherwise i am just backing him into the same desperate corner.I tell people we are homeschooling and instantly the expectation is that I have entered a race, and deserve a trail by fire. I have been so mad that I can't get the support I need from people. That no one has faith in me. But it is me that hasn't had faith today. I have not been supporting me, I have been looking at myself from the perspective of some "other" no wonder I can't feel good about what we are doing. I'm haven't been present. I need to be here in my own business :stillheart

my3beasties likes this.
#27 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Feeling so down today. I feel like I must be delusional, how can I school Jaden when I my attention and responsibilities are so scattered? The baby just wants to be cuddled, and I can't sit with her 10 seconds. She (21 months) and we are all struggling. I am not giving anyone what they need. I am loosing ground, it hasn't even been 3 weeks! Support, OMG please pray for me. I have never felt so naive. I am!

Remember - you have needs too!! The baby can be cuddled, Jaden's schooling can wait a bit, and you can take a break too. I agree with JamieCatheryn, take a period of de-schooling, and get some fresh perspective on things before coming back at it. Don't feel like you have to do X-Y-Z just because the school did - as I'm discovering, that's the beauty of homeschool! You can do anything he wants to do!

Try looking up some of the Montessori subjects, and make it fun!  Practical Life skills are fun things like: • Pouring & Transferring • Washing & Cleaning • Polishing • Manipulatives • Woodworking • Sewing & Weaving • Food Preparation • Yard & Garden  Check out this site for ideas: http://www.montessoriservices.com/

Practical Life lessons can be strapping on aprons and baking cookies while you have the baby in her Ergo carrier!  You can easily turn it into a math & baking science lesson: "How many of these 1/3 cup scoops will make 1 whole cup?" and "Which ball of cookie dough do you think will cook faster - the big one, or the little one? Why?"  Then have him help clean up - teaches responsibility and cleanliness, and gives him a sense of pride in helping, too.

You can look outside at the clouds, and look up online what types of clouds they are, and how they are formed.  Do an experiment with a closely-supervised pot of boiling water and a clear container, so he can see how steam condenses and forms clouds & then precipitation.  Kids LOVE real-life, experiential learning like this!

You don't have to be restrained to anything in particular, especially starting out. Nobody's grading you.  Make it fun - that's the whole point of learning! :)  Now, go make yourself a relaxing cup of tea, cuddle the baby & Jaden too, and talk about a fun project to try tomorrow. :Hug

#28 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's totally ok to give it a rest for awhile, especially since you pulled him out of a bad school situation. At that age (he's 6,right? I have a 5.5yo) letting them run around outside and then snuggling up with a book is a successful day of homeschooling!
My older dd was 7 when the next baby came along and, believe me, there were enough days like that where if I couldn't do it without a velcro toddler we just did the best we could and called it good. There were a LOT of those days and now,years later, it turned out fine!
#29 of 34 Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Wow, you guys are working way too hard at this! ;-)

Don't get me wrong: my house is rarely presentable and I have to-do lists everywhere that get neglected, but homeschooling is the easiest part of my life. Whenever I hear parents freaking out "can I do this?!" I think "Honey, you have no idea how simple it really is." 

I should say, it CAN be that simple if you want it to be. 

And SweetSilver, thanks for a great chuckle - very funny!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#30 of 34 Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM

Can I get some feedback? I attended Jaden's IEP meeting yesterday. Here is my situation. Jaden has sensory issues, he's never been diagnosed as actually having a classifiable disorder. He has been receiving special services PT OT and speech (which he resumed about 10 days ago) he used to have an aide, but was in a normal classroom setting. For the beginning of this school year he did well. They are in the first year of implementing core curriculum at our elementary school and are progressively integrating 1st grade work into the curriculum.He can do it, but for all of them it is a challenge. Add to this that his social skills are delayed/strained and I think that specifically his emotional reactions to people as he is integrating and developing relationships at school are causing him the most anxiety. So anyway we had Christmas break and he fell apart. He started refusing to go to school over several weeks.We decided to home school because his anxiety AT HOME was getting so uncomfortable. He is only 6 and I feel like he is still young and deserves to be heard when he says he feels threatened. OMG they really made me feel like I an ass. Like I should be some sort of expert. Should I steer clear of them in the future? He seems happy, and I am committed to keeping things grounded and fun at "mommy's school". We are just getting started, and here I am being bombarded with how wonderfully everything was going at school. Financially I don't know if we can home school indefinitely. I feel like I am alone on the moon.

Could someone just tell me I am not a huge screw up gloomy.gif 

Tags
Homeschooling , Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page