Homeschooling and High School... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So today my oldest (15, and a high school freshman) asked today about going back to home schooling (she was previously for part of 6th grade, and she choose to go back for the start of 7th). 

I'll admit - the idea of home schooling a high school student scares the heck out of me. Also, her father would be the one schooling her around this time, as I am a full time practical nursing student (and while he's also a college student, he's doing all his classes online this semester). He told her he would think about it, if she can get all her grades to passing (she is currently failing a couple of classes, because she never turns in homework). She wants to HS because of "drama" at school (and i suspect some bullying as well, as her previous bully that we pulled her out for before is now in classes with her again).  

So, I guess what i'm posting about is to hear that HSing a high school student isn't terrible, can be successful, and we aren't crazy for considering it

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#2 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, Kris, I don't know if I can be much help, but here is my situation. My 2nd grader and K girls have always been homeschooled, but I have an 18 year old who went all the way through the public school system. She is a very bright, socially intelligent, fun-loving girl. However, she became so beaten down by the pressure at school that she suffered from some major learned helplessness. It will probably be a long time until she is ready for a four-year university- not from a lack of intelligence and moxie, but from the negative associations and bad habits that she learned in high school. What I'm saying is this: If your daughter is motivated to homeschool, that's great! She may or may not get through calculus, but she can take that in college, if she wants. What she cannot "catch up" on is her view of learning institutions. If she feels learning is wrapped up in bullying and lack of security and social/academic pressure, she will not have a chance to unlearn that for many years to come.

Something to think about. I wish someone had said this to me several years ago (and incidentally, to my parents, many years ago!).

Either way, you sound like you love and support her and so she is a very lucky girl. Best of luck and many good wishes!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.
#3 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I'm not sure how much specific help I can be but I did want to encourage you. We've homeschooled our kids up until they decided to attend school around 10th grade; my eldest reverted to homeschooling for 12th. She was practical, mature and decisive about what her needs were and why she needed a change in her education to make them work. In her case she moved far away from home at 17 and homeschooled entirely on her own so that she could get the music training she wanted. Because the choice was entirely driven by her, she was diligent and responsible. A younger teen would typically need more support, but may not need much more direct teaching.

My middle two kids are still in high school, but they're at a high school where for several subjects like math and sciences they get almost no direct teaching: it's all self-paced independent work. They can learn more than 95% of the content without adult help. If they don't understand something at a first pass, they re-read, they puzzle over the sample problems, they go on-line and look for additional help. Eventually they may need to ask for clarification or an alternate explanation. The main role the school performs, other than the obvious business of providing the textbooks and online courseware, is to assist with structuring their work: setting goals, checkpoints and deadlines. It's the same when homeschooling teens. The parent's role is primarily to help procure appropriate resources and facilitate appropriate structure. 

To give an example of how a parent can oversee high school homeschooling even when they don't have personal subject-matter expertise... My ds17 is taking a senior Computer Programming course this semester as a "homeschooling credit." His school doesn't have the expertise to teach the course --- and neither do I. But he and I did some research and found a good open courseware college course complete with lectures, handouts, software and assignments. We networked within our community until we found someone with enough familiarity with java programming to act as a mentor: to look over ds's assignments and give us some feedback about how thoroughly he has mastered the material. This guy is happy to do it for free, but we offered him a small honorarium. I helped ds lay out a timetable for assignment completion, and we were off and running. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Homeschooling , Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page