Help finding good books/websites to teach grammar to 3rd grader - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm looking for a good English grammar curriculum for my son, who'll be in 3rd grade next year. If anyone knows of any good books please let me know. Also if there are any good websites out there for this, I'd love to know too. Thanks!

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Hi,

We have used Voyages in English (Loyola Press) since second grade, and really like it.

It has 2 parts, the first half of the book is grammar, the second half focuses on writing projects (with some possibilities for oral presentation as well). It seems to work very well to do a chapter in the first half, and then a section in the second half, and so on, throughout the book. I have never bought the teacher's edition, only the student workbook, which includes very thorough lessons and explanations. Most of the time my son works through the grammar section completely on his own, reading/studying the lesson, and then doing some of the exercises. The only thing I do is mark which exercises I want him to do. I hardly ever have him do all the exercises, as there are a ton! We do the writing projects together, but again, the exercises in preparation for the writing he can do on his own. As he is getting older, he also needs less and less of my input for the writing projects. He's in 4th grade, although chronologically "should" be in 3rd.

The only downside is the price, they are not cheap, around $65 or so I think the last one was (4th grade). But I haven't found anything that we like better. Also, there is no spelling included per se, although they learn some spelling with any good grammar and writing curriculum.

Here is a link to the publisher's website with the curriculum. http://www.loyolapress.com/voyages-in-english-writing-and-grammar-program.htm  They have lots of samples to get a good idea of what it's like too.

Good luck finding something you like.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We really like "Easy Grammar" for our kids.  No pictures, nothing fancy, but it is inexpensive and only takes 10-15 minutes a day.  It only covers grammar & mechanics (not composition or literature).  

http://www.easygrammar.com

You can also buy it at rainbow resource.  I never found a need for the teacher's guide.  I only get the student workbook. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much! I'll be sure to look into your recommendations soon. Thanks again :)

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 AM

I used a whole curriculum (Enki) for grades K-2, which I found to be wonderful. Kind of like slow food: time-consuming but so nourishing and delicious. I haven't used the third grade curriculum but I know there is one: enkieducation.org.

I also found "An English Manual for the Elementary School," by Dorothy Harrer, to be useful. Grade 3 starts on page 15. It's a Waldorf book.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for these recommendations Julie Clark!

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources
User Tag List