Minecraft homeschool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Anyone have any experience with (or knowledge of) this homeschooling site that uses Minecraft as its spine? http://minecrafthomeschool.com/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 19 Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had never heard about it, but it looks like something my nine-year-old would love.
#3 of 19 Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids would love this.  I wish it had more examples of the "assignments" and "quizzes".

~~~Jennifer~~~

Mama and stepmama to DSS1 (16), DSS2 (12), DSS3 in heaven, DD1 (9), DSS4 (8), DS1 (7), DD2 (1) and DS2 due spring 2014!

#4 of 19 Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Someone shared this review with me:  https://www.facebook.com/TheLibertarianHomeschooler/posts/10152010464474424

rockportmama likes this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM

I am glad you posted this question because I had never heard of Minecraft homeschool  before.  I have emailed them and I am considering having the children attend the camp in the summer.  That will give us a feel for whether or not it might be a good fit for us.  The classes are only 5ish weeks long, so we will probably join one in the Fall.

#6 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I know my kids would be thrilled with this but what do they consider "out of game" assignments, and how would you be "linked up" (for lack of a better term) for them to do the in-game part. Like xbox live??? IDK how I feel about xbox live... I also don't know if that's actually anything like what is used here

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#7 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM

You need to use the PC version of Minecraft.
#8 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM

If I can afford it, I want to sign DS for the next intro class.
#9 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Wow!  Thanks so much for sharing the link, OP!  I had no idea there was such a thing as Minecraft homeschool.  I know the age range on these say 5-15 and my son is 12.  We're going to try one and see if he likes it.  

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#10 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM

My son is doing the Castles and Cannons now and it's been great. The out of game assignments are videos to watch on various aspects of the time period, ranging from half an hour to an hour. He then has to take a ten question quiz that covers the out of game learning. Then he is allowed to go in and work on the assignment for the week, which involves building structures that are historically accurate and also creative. They are on teams and must work together to accomplish their weekly goals. The server is secure and the game play is moderated with logs reviewed daily and there is usually a "game master" available online to answer questions. (Game masters are older kids who have been selected for the position). Hope that helps!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#11 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post

My son is doing the Castles and Cannons now and it's been great. The out of game assignments are videos to watch on various aspects of the time period, ranging from half an hour to an hour. He then has to take a ten question quiz that covers the out of game learning. Then he is allowed to go in and work on the assignment for the week, which involves building structures that are historically accurate and also creative. They are on teams and must work together to accomplish their weekly goals. The server is secure and the game play is moderated with logs reviewed daily and there is usually a "game master" available online to answer questions. (Game masters are older kids who have been selected for the position). Hope that helps!
Thanks for the information. How old is your son?
#12 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM

He is 9 and doing the lite version.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#13 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Thanks!
#14 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Ok that is more enlightening. Is there different subjects? I'm thinking, what about math, reading, etc...?

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#15 of 19 Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 PM

I have a couple friends whose kids have loved it. We're signed up for the next session. 

#16 of 19 Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM

This is very interesting! All of my kids love the game... I will to look into this further.

Edit: I just purchased two lite classes for my two older boys. If they like it, then I will purchase the advanced and graded versions, in all topics.

I will also use these two classes, to grasp an idea of whether my little girls would enjoy the challenges, or not.

treehugger.gif   earth.gif whale.gif  
#17 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

My son started his minecraft homeschool class this week. He is studying the 7 wonders of the ancient world. This week's lesson is about Greek architecture. He watched a slide show and a video. Next he went into minecraft to build a house using Greek architecture. When he's done with that he has to help the group re-create the Parthenon. If we email in photos of a local example of Greek architecture he gets an in-game bonus. This is the video he had to watch:

This is the 5 week class schedule:
CURRENT WEEK > Week 1 - Wonders Overview & Greek Architecture 
Week 2 – More About Wonders & Ostia Antica
Week 3 -Obelisk & Wonders
Week 4 – Colosseum & Wonder Build + Nemi Ships
Week 5 - War Machines & Wonders

If anyone is interested, here is the agenda for their summer camp:

#18 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and someone said there's also this group www.whenyouriseup.com.

They may be a Christian group, I'm not sure. I don't know much about them but they're supposed to have some interesting class titles.

#19 of 19 Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Has anyone tried this one and homeschoolwithminecraft classes?  We just did the first class last week (I didn't get to pay much attention to what they were doing...dh was overseeing), and I'm wondering how they compare... we're doing the Magic Tree House:  A Knight at Dawn class now.  I'd love to do a castle and cannons class next. (we're doing the midieval thing here currently)..

http://www.homeschoolwithminecraft.com/services.html

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page