An important video: "This Mother Tore Off Labels And Nurtured Her Son’s Hidden Genius" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A lot of you may be familiar with her book, but I wasn't - I just saw this, and it's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's not that it's all new - many of us toss around these ideas, but here's someone who got an idea and ran with it, carrying her son through what could have been a catastrophic time. I think it's important information for any parent or person relating with children:

"A breakthrough of monumental proportions" the interviewer said. Well said. She was told her autistic son would never talk again, but Instead of focusing on Jacob’s limitations, Kristine nurtured his interests, but now at that age of 15, he's on track to win a Nobel Prize for his work in theoretical physics. 

She had been told to just give up and look into who might take care of him as an adult - but she wasn't buying it. She saw that encouraging and supporting what interested him instead of bombarding him with things was what lit him up and brought him back into communication.  She's done the same with her other children. He's exceptionally articulate for anyone his age, and seems like a delightful person to spend time with. Please pass this around if it moves you the way it did me - this is important stuff to get out there.  :)  Lillian

http://themotherlist.com/mother-tore-label-nurtured-sons-hidden-genius/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you-- I found this quite inspiring.  My son is not autistic, by any means, but like his father (my husband)...highly intelligent and intense...this made me really remember to celebrate him!

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling
User Tag List