Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Learning at Home and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/)
-   -   Oak Meadow high school question? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/1399929-oak-meadow-high-school-question.html)

AAK 04-02-2014 05:33 PM

Hi, I am thinking about using a literature course from Oak Meadow this next year.  I wouldn't have my dd enroll, but I was toying with the idea of buying their syllabus for the Intro to Literature & Composition course.  I would get the other books from the library (the ones I don't already have).  

Has anyone used this?  Can you give me pros/cons?

Amy

Fortune Teller 04-10-2014 08:42 PM

I'm thinking of the same thing, even thinking of enrolling her in the Lit course officially.  Can't offer any real answers to your question I guess.  Just popping in to say 'Me too!' :)

AAK 04-10-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

I'm thinking of the same thing, even thinking of enrolling her in the Lit course officially.  Can't offer any real answers to your question I guess.  Just popping in to say 'Me too!' :)

Well I found a used copy online and bought it.  I hope it works for us.  Let me know if you decide to try it.  I will post again with my first impressions when my copy arrives.  

Amy

Fortune Teller 04-11-2014 02:04 PM

Cool! smile.gif

AAK 04-19-2014 01:14 PM

Here are my first impressions:

I like it!  A few years ago it would have been too much structure, but I think that it fits the bill for where we are right now.  Previously, my dd would read a lot and we would discuss the book later.  Occassionally, I would ask her to write a review or a book report.  Lately though, it doesn't feel like it is enough.  I also think that she quickly reads through the book without trying to dive into it at all.  She isn't reading critically or deeply.  That is fine when she is reading for pleasure, but I wanted her to be able to read at an academic level as well.  

This program has a syllabus (for the student) and a teacher's guide.  However, it is meant for the student to be able to do this independently.  It takes the student through several novels, a play, and some poems.  Each lesson is meant to take a week.  When working on a book, the lesson will begin with some vocabulary, assigned reading, some quick answer questions, and some critical thinking questions.  Sometimes there is an extension project too--these seem to be more 'fun'.  At the end of each book, there is an essay to write.  At the end of the play, the student can choose between writing a paper or acting our a scene.  

I like how the questions guide the student to think deeper about the book.  I like how the author of the program explains things.  I do think there is more than I need.  For example: there are usually 5-6 critical answer questions.  I don't think we need THAT many.  I might adjust it.  

Additionally, this program uses a book called, "The Least You Should Know About English".  Some of the lessons refer to this book.  I haven't decided if I will get this book or not.  It would be easy to just skip these lessons.  However, the book gets pretty good reviews and it might be nice for my dd to have a reference for English Grammar and a bit of grammar review throughout the year.  I am leaning towards getting it.  

Well, I hope that helps you Fortune Teller.  I might have a new opinion after we use it, but for now I think it will be a good fit for my dd at this time.  

Amy

Fortune Teller 04-21-2014 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing!  It helps immensely.  It sounds like just what we need too.  Do you think the teacher's guide is good enough so I won't have to read the books myself?  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to read, but I'm homeschooling 3 kids and just not sure if I will have the time to read everything my high school kid does.  That was why I was considering enrolling her for this course- So she could be 'graded' by someone who actually knows the material.  Maybe with the teacher's guide I wouldn't have to do that?  What do you think?

AAK 04-22-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

Thanks for sharing!  It helps immensely.  It sounds like just what we need too.  Do you think the teacher's guide is good enough so I won't have to read the books myself?  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to read, but I'm homeschooling 3 kids and just not sure if I will have the time to read everything my high school kid does.  That was why I was considering enrolling her for this course- So she could be 'graded' by someone who actually knows the material.  Maybe with the teacher's guide I wouldn't have to do that?  What do you think?

I think the teacher's guide would be enough.  It gives you all the answers for everything.  The only thing you would need to grade on your own would be the essays.  However, I don't think that should be a problem.  The questions lead you through a basic understanding of the book.  I really will be looking for how my dd uses support in her writing, along with organizational skills.  I am not going to worry too much about what point she is trying to make so long as she actually makes one.  

Amy

Fortune Teller 04-24-2014 02:49 PM

Good to know. Thanks! smile.gif