Raising an International Gourmet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I read these two blog posts this past weekend and thought this was a great idea:

http://hautemealz.com/2012/05/09/tips-for-raising-an-international-gourmet/

I wish my all-girls college prep high school would have taught me some of this; I hope to at least learn more so I can teach these skills to my children:

http://hautemealz.com/2013/01/16/the-problem-with-farm-to-table/

fruitfulmomma likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
We did something similar to this as a co-op learning experience with another family. The kids called it Kitchen Club and I think the structure of a biweekly meet-up in one family's kitchen or the other's, and the social nature of the exercise helped make it feel special and enjoyable as the months rolled by. Each family would research the country of the week ahead of time and arrive with two recipes -- one a main-dish savoury and one a snack, appy or dessert -- and the necessary ingredients. We'd talk informally about what we'd learned about the country, and sometimes the older kids would do some more online research as the morning progressed. Occasionally there would be a craft or decoration that fit in well.

All morning we'd putter, prep, cook and bake in various task-oriented clusters. And then we'd enjoy a mid-day feast, sampling all the dishes and usually an appropriate beverage as well. The kids ranged in age from about 4 to 14 and it worked pretty darn well. They chose the countries and for the most part the recipes as well. The biweekly schedule gave us time to procure some of the more obscure ingredients.

If you have a kitchen/dining area large enough to accommodate a few people working together I highly recommend collaborating with another family or two. My kids (now aged 11 to 20) are all pretty awesome adventurous chefs. Their skills and interests were definitely given a huge jump-start at Kitchen Club. And my picky eaters became much more adventurous in their tastes.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you seen the Global Table Adventure blog? 

Here: http://globaltableadventure.com/countries-ive-cooked/

Enjoy :)

#4 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thank you, Emaye. I hadn't seen that.

moominmama, thanks for that idea. The homeschool families we know are too far away (part of why they're homeschooling is they live too far away to go to the Catholic school here) and the school families are too busy, and another family we know...the mother is too busy. So it's just me and my two oldest for now.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#5 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We do the global thing here.  It is part of our "cultural studies" :-)  We pick a country, learn about it, and cook a meal.  It is always fun. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page