website suggestions for supplies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
website suggestions for supplies

I want to start buying work books and supplies for the kids to start homeschooling in August/September. Can anyone recommend some good sites that offer a variety of curriculum and different books?
Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Rainbow Resources is one of the longest running ones, and I still like them.

I order a lot from Oak Meadow and Chinaberry too. For math, I get the best prices from Amazon.

peace,
teastaigh
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've had great luck on ebay and craigslist. Prices are usually cheap enough that if we try it and it doesn't work for us I can just resell.
Don't forget the library!
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Zaner-Bloser has good materials for language arts. We also use an online program called 'time for learning' and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to utilize the computer. Allot of people like saxton math. Amazon has good prices on saxton, just be sure you pay close attention to what you're getting. You need a teacher guide and students books. We also ordered some stuff from National Geographic that has been great for map skills and geography. I've also picked up stuff here and there. I have not used Oak Meadow, but I've looked over their selection. It looks like they have a great curriculum and programs
Good luck on your homeschooling journey
#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you have a list of things, it sometimes works in your favor to use Rainbow Resource because you can get free shipping. For my oldest, I use Amazon a lot now because she is using high school level texts and they are often available used (and least expensive) on amazon. I get my science from REAL Science odyssey (Pandia Press) and I order that directly from them when they have a sale. They just had one (30% off) and they usually have one at the beginning of the school year.

Homeschool buyers co-op sometimes has great deals; I usually check it out before I place my order elsewhere just in case they are having a special.

Homeschool classifieds is ok. Usually people try to get too much for their stuff, but the prices usually include shipping and if you know how much you would pay elsewhere, you can be a savvy shopper and get it done there.

Barnes and Noble offers homeschoolers free educator cards. This gets you a 20% discount on most things.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Talking books for cheap

Before I ever buy anything I look for the book and then I search for the specific book on one of the sites that you can buy super cheap...books for pennies, used books cheap and similar sites and can get awesome deals for literally pennies.

The are also sites you can download from that are run by teachers and they put out some great stuff. Www.teacherspayteachers.com , there is an eBay store called Academics Store that has record keeping aids and stuff.

Www.rainbowresource.com - great spot. Www.teacherspayteachers.com. www.homeschoolbookdept.com , www.Maria'smath.com , Www.thebackpack.com , www.usedtextbooksonlime.com , www.usedtextbooksonlime.com , www.homeschoolclassifieds.com , www.theswap.com

Those are some good places to get started. You can also go onto many of the websites that have free teacher resources that you an print out. I also use the app Pintrest. You can find some awesome ideas there and then there are tons of links to follow...it can get overwhelming. .almost more than you can use. I would honestly start with pintrest and go from there. You might find one stop shopping that's free.

Have fun!!!
#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have most of the books I want to start with all picked out and just need to deal hunt now! I had heard of the Rainbow site and found they had good prices. I will check out some of the other sites mentioned and thanks for the tip at Barnes and Noble, that's good to know

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page