Lack of support for special needs son at ps, I want to hs. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lack of support for special needs son at ps, I want to hs.

I am scared I won't be able to. I suffer from depression. I am not very organized. But, I do want to homeschool my son. He had ADHD and is not getting the proper support at school. He is smart! Smarter than most children his own age. The school expects nothing out of him. He doesn't even need to do any work. He has no home work. He is in grade 5. It is homeschooling or a private christain school that costs 300 a month plus the register fee of 125. I know my son. I know he needs to be challenged. I know he can do the work. Is it in heard of for other home schooling moms to get together and teach together?? I want to be a part of some sort of group.
#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corysmilk View Post
I am scared I won't be able to. I suffer from depression. I am not very organized. But, I do want to homeschool my son. He had ADHD and is not getting the proper support at school. He is smart! Smarter than most children his own age. The school expects nothing out of him. He doesn't even need to do any work. He has no home work. He is in grade 5. It is homeschooling or a private christain school that costs 300 a month plus the register fee of 125. I know my son. I know he needs to be challenged. I know he can do the work. Is it in heard of for other home schooling moms to get together and teach together?? I want to be a part of some sort of group.
Our area has a number of co-ops where students can learn (I am not a member of any of them). There are also homeschool classes we pay for. There's also a list that is sent out every month, detailing all the homeschool oppportunities in the area. I would suggest finding a local homeschool group in your area (I used yahoogroups to find people in my area. Meetup in another option) to see what's out there. As you begin to get more entrenched in homeschooling, you meet more people and more opportunities open up to you.
I am not organized. I do not suffer from depression as much as I have "blue days" occasionally. However, I am in online college and I work from home part time and I have some health issues so that all keeps me busy sometimes and makes it hard to find time to formally homeschool. I use predone curriculum and have a written planner and a basket of his homeschool materials in my kitchen. I take a few minutes to write a couple weeks in advance. I ask him to submit all his work in google drive to me so I can't lose it somewhere. I can also comment directly on google drive and he can respond. Our system works for us right now and I will continue this next year.

Good luck! It sounds like you are a great mom who is looking at the various options out there to provide the right educational choice for for your son!

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would try to find a group and see if it will fit your needs. I find most homeschool families open to helping each other.
#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used to think I could never homeschool too. I work 45 hrs a week outside the home and had a newborn when we started 2 yrs ago. So now I have a toddler that gets into EVERYTHING and wants my attention too. It IS challenging, but it is the best decision we have ever made. My boys get one on one help and work at their own pace. If they need more time to learn a topic, that's totally fine. If they excel at a topic, they can move forward faster. We have so much family time now and actually have sit down dinners where we can talk and enjoy each other's company without having to rush because they have 4-6 hrs a night in homework. My boys were 5th and 7th grades when we started. Now we are done for the whole day in 6 hrs or less. No homework because its all done during the day. We can learn what we want and how we want. We can go on as many field trips as we want (and can afford). There are two homeschool groups in my area, one of which has co ops. I also suffer from depression. You can do this. My boys can work independently in most things now, so that is a tremendous help. Your son is old enough that he can do many things independently or with little supervision too. If he can't sit still for long periods, so can break up the day however works best for him. There are endless possibilities with homeschool. Do whatever works best for your family.
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would look into getting him some kind of curriculum he can do himself, so that he can just go and "do school" even on days when you're not up to "teaching" him. A computer-based program may be a good choice.

I've found my local HS group to be great for socializing and for enrichment activities, but not for a reliable, ongoing curriculum.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think it would depend on the state laws if you can form a group and teach each other's kids; where I am it's not legal for core subjects so the co-ops we belong to are enrichment or social focused. That's not to say people don't do it anyway, though, and your state might be different.

I'll second finding him a curriculum he can do on his own if need be, at least to start. It probably won't take as long as you think. Dd12 takes 2 or 3 hours at most to finish a fairly demanding program. So much time in a school day is crowd control and waiting around, eliminate that and it doesn't take 8 hour to "do school".

Best of luck to you both!

If at all possible try to find another family to switch off with to get alone time. One of my friends suffers from depression and we have an agreement that if she's having a bad day I'll pick her son up to spend the day with us, in return she takes my girls for day trips on good days since I have to stick close to home due to elder care stuff. If you could get a group together to swap, even better.
#7 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good,Your son is old enough that he can do many things independently or with little supervision too. If he can't sit still for long periods, so can break up the day however works best for him. There are endless possibilities with homeschool. Do whatever works best for your family.thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page