Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Learning at Home and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/)
-   -   Foreign Language: How and When? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/50-learning-home-beyond/1426073-foreign-language-how-when.html)

DuchessTergie 06-24-2014 12:04 PM

Foreign Language: How and When?

Hi mamas. I plan on HS DD when she turns 6-- two years from now. However, it recently occurred to me she is in the prime time for foreign language instruction.

When did you start? What program? DVD, computer, actuall lessons? I studied French for 4 years and the only thing I have to show for it is an undying devotion to cheese and wine. :)

smartmama 06-24-2014 06:27 PM

I started homeschooling my kids when they were halfway through 2nd and 5th grade. So I dove right in with the foreign languages. We do Italian and American Sign Language (I know ASL isn't technically a foreign language, but I think it's a beneficial skill for them to learn, so I categorize it under foreign language.)

We use lifeprint.com for our sign language and DuoLingo for the Italian. I just learned about a site called memrise that supposedly is really great for helping you to learn a foreign language, but I haven't yet tested it out myself.

moominmamma 06-24-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartmama (Post 17726393)
I know ASL isn't technically a foreign language

Many countries have more than one language in common use, and most I think talk about Second Language Learning rather than "foreign" language. I'm in Canada, where most Anglo kids study French, and it's not a foreign language here: it's one of our country's two official languages. ASL also fits easily under the umbrella of Second Language learning, while also not being foreign.

Miranda

my3legacies 06-24-2014 11:56 PM

We also use lifeprint.com for ASL, and we love it!

zannster 06-26-2014 03:48 PM

I might not fit what you're looking for, since I don't homeschool, but I have kids raised with two languages. You definitely could start now. You can get kids' books in the other language you want, as well as cartoons or anything else that might interest them. They will pick up things just from the repeated exposure.

DuchessTergie 06-30-2014 10:41 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I may start with the Signing Time videos.... not sure yet. I need to look into your suggestions first. This sounds awful, but I'm looking for a language-based babysitter for my 4 YO while my baby naps. I need to exercise, and I'd rather have my 4YO watch something beneficial rather than watching my Physique 57 DVD. :) I'll move into more sophisticated foreign language later, but if I can lay some groundwork down now, that'd be swell.

moominmamma 06-30-2014 12:42 PM

Then again, watching adults stay healthy and active and take time for themselves is a pretty solid learning experience. :)

Miranda