Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By moominmamma

#1 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Foreign Language: How and When?

Hi mamas. I plan on HS DD when she turns 6-- two years from now. However, it recently occurred to me she is in the prime time for foreign language instruction.

When did you start? What program? DVD, computer, actuall lessons? I studied French for 4 years and the only thing I have to show for it is an undying devotion to cheese and wine.
#2 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started homeschooling my kids when they were halfway through 2nd and 5th grade. So I dove right in with the foreign languages. We do Italian and American Sign Language (I know ASL isn't technically a foreign language, but I think it's a beneficial skill for them to learn, so I categorize it under foreign language.)

We use lifeprint.com for our sign language and DuoLingo for the Italian. I just learned about a site called memrise that supposedly is really great for helping you to learn a foreign language, but I haven't yet tested it out myself.
#3 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmama View Post
I know ASL isn't technically a foreign language
Many countries have more than one language in common use, and most I think talk about Second Language Learning rather than "foreign" language. I'm in Canada, where most Anglo kids study French, and it's not a foreign language here: it's one of our country's two official languages. ASL also fits easily under the umbrella of Second Language learning, while also not being foreign.

Miranda
AAK likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We also use lifeprint.com for ASL, and we love it!
#5 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I might not fit what you're looking for, since I don't homeschool, but I have kids raised with two languages. You definitely could start now. You can get kids' books in the other language you want, as well as cartoons or anything else that might interest them. They will pick up things just from the repeated exposure.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for all the feedback! I may start with the Signing Time videos.... not sure yet. I need to look into your suggestions first. This sounds awful, but I'm looking for a language-based babysitter for my 4 YO while my baby naps. I need to exercise, and I'd rather have my 4YO watch something beneficial rather than watching my Physique 57 DVD. I'll move into more sophisticated foreign language later, but if I can lay some groundwork down now, that'd be swell.
#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Then again, watching adults stay healthy and active and take time for themselves is a pretty solid learning experience.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page