Fall Northeast US DIY history/foliage road trip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fall Northeast US DIY history/foliage road trip

I live in Maryland and would like to plan a week-long road trip this fall to take my mom (who lives in Oregon) and kids up into the northeastern states to see the fall foliage. This has been on my mom’s bucket list for years, and she’s gotten to an age that it will only happen if I make it happen. Since the cost of a package tour is prohibitive (and my dad and/or friends that might have accompanied her have passed away), I thought we could do it ourselves, making some stops along the way to visit sites that would be of educational interest for my kids who will be homeschooled starting this year. We're joining a Classical Conversations community and the history emphasis this year is US History, so I think this trip could fit nicely with what we'll be doing in school.

I want to head up into Vermont and Hew Hampshire, and understand that Rte. 7 in Vermont and 112 in NH are good destinations in the fall. But between Maryland and there, I'd like to plan two or three day long stops at places where my kids could learn about some of the many important historical events in this part of the US. The obvious choices are probably Philadelphia, New York and Boston, but I'm not sure if we are up for that pace, traffic etc.

Would there be a more rural route that would also include stops at sites of historical importance? The only one that's popping into my mind is Gettysburg, but since that's only a couple of hours from where we live anyway, we can go there anytime.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Oh. I should add that I know that there is spectacular fall foliage to be seen right here in Maryland and also in PA and VA, but this is a mom bucket list thing. She wants to do the northeastern states.
#3 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Hi there

Hi there, we live in vermont! A few places around here of historical interest are hildene (Lincoln family home, in Manchester vt, it is open to tours...) the bennington monument, a monument to the battle of bennington. Also, there is the battlefield at hubbardton vt, which often does re-enactments. There is Merck forest and farmland center, in vt...a working farm where they have campsites, they often have events like sheepherding trials and maple sugaring demonstrations....all of these have websites too, I believe! Have fun! -Lisa Williams
#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
NJ has some great places to visit. Don't count us out.

Thomas Edison's workshop http://www.nps.gov/edis/index.htm
Jockey Hollow http://www.nps.gov/morr/index.htm
NJ museums http://www.nj.gov/nj/things/museums/
#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM

We are also doing a trip this fall when my husband goes up for business. We will be in Boston for a day or two and also going to Old Sturbridge Village one day. I haven't decided how far up the coast we're going since we probably won't be there the whole week. I'll be watching this thread!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#6 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 AM

If you are interested in Boston area history, but want to avoid the city itself, perhaps you would like to visit Concord, MA. It's an important American Revolution site, and a significant literary site as well. You can enjoy the fall foliage while visiting Walden Pond. You might want to get there on a weekday if you can, as it can get busy on autumn weekends.
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am originally from the Boston area and went to school in Concord - that has some great historic sites - Walden Pond, various battlefields, and an historic graveyard or two. There's also a museum that's fun. I also second the recommendation of Sturbridge Village - that place is awesome. In Connecticut there's Mystic Seaport which has a museum and old ships to tour, and if you're hugging the coast, Plimouth Plantation (In Plymouth, MA) is another really fun and educational stop.
Right now I live in Bucks County, which is north of Philly, and there's Washington Crossing Historic park (where Washington crossed the Delaware during the Revolutionary War), and in our little town there are some great off the beaten path museums, including one that is a collection of pre-industrial era objects, so it focuses on the late 1800's. My stepdaughter loved that place when she was 5-9 or so. And it gives some amazing insight into how things have changed in the last 100 years or so. That's the Mercer Museum in Doylestown, PA.
Have fun!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page