testing homeschool routine-kids watching too much tv! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
testing homeschool routine-kids watching too much tv!

Im not your typical parent. I dont send my kids off to summer camp for the entire summer (i dont get it, i guess its for working parents, but people seem to think its so important). Instead, i look forward to summer vacation so i can finally begin to homeschool my kids, because thats what i 'd rather do deep down.

Right now, they are in school, my 9yo is being asked to medicate, but my 6yo is thriving there.

In any case, this last month since summer vacation started, i have enrolled them in classes, taken them on day trips, to playgrounds, and most interestingly, have instituted what we call 'study sessions'. Im not doing anything they do at school for now, i am concentrating on auditory learning because my oldest has some auditory processing issues, and i want to balance out our visually obsessed culture.

Its been amazing how much they can learn! Poems, even French poems, biology, history,...all from just using auditory means.

My point is though, the study sessions only last 45inutes, and the rest of the time, they are watching tv or the ipad-help!!! I feel like the worst mother ever. (we go out alot, but when not, that visual stuff is taking over)

What do homeschoolers do? Do you have kids work on their own projects on their own, or through workbooks? The study sessions we do are great, but intense.

Im interested to hear how things worked out for you in the beginning before you got a routine going, and how you decided on your routine.

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Sounds like a normal "school" day for us. We are TV-free, but we will watch a movie of play a video game during the day.

Last edited by Nazsmum; 07-31-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Im not your typical parent. I dont send my kids off to summer camp for the entire summer (i dont get it, i guess its for working parents, but people seem to think its so important). Instead, i look forward to summer vacation so i can finally begin to homeschool my kids, because thats what i 'd rather do deep down.

Right now, they are in school, my 9yo is being asked to medicate, but my 6yo is thriving there.

In any case, this last month since summer vacation started, i have enrolled them in classes, taken them on day trips, to playgrounds, and most interestingly, have instituted what we call 'study sessions'. Im not doing anything they do at school for now, i am concentrating on auditory learning because my oldest has some auditory processing issues, and i want to balance out our visually obsessed culture.

Its been amazing how much they can learn! Poems, even French poems, biology, history,...all from just using auditory means.

My point is though, the study sessions only last 45inutes, and the rest of the time, they are watching tv or the ipad-help!!! I feel like the worst mother ever. (we go out alot, but when not, that visual stuff is taking over)

What do homeschoolers do? Do you have kids work on their own projects on their own, or through workbooks? The study sessions we do are great, but intense.

Im interested to hear how things worked out for you in the beginning before you got a routine going, and how you decided on your routine.

Thanks in advance....
We don't have a routine, but we do limit screen time. Sometimes I ask the kids to work on a specific thing, or give them a choice of things. Sometimes I read to them or we do some educational activity. A lot of the time they're free to do what they want, but that doesn't include playing computer games or watching videos. We don't have TV. In their free time they might read, play outside together, pick and eat things from the garden, or whittle with pocket knives. My 11 year old DD likes to draw and make things. Projects she has going include making moccasins and making her own bows and arrows. My 8 year old DS would happily spend almost the whole day playing computer games and watching videos if he were allowed to. Since he's not allowed to, he reads a lot, practices on his skateboard, builds with Legos, and learns about programming on Khan Academy. Lately he's been having fun experimenting with making up his own cookie recipes (with some guidance from me.)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
We don't have much of a routine, and we do almost nothing that would be considered "study time." It would be a very unusual day indeed here if my kids did more than 45 minutes of curriculum-directed or parent-directed learning. It's mostly just self-directed stuff.

I think unfortunately this is one of those things that takes time to develop. Kids who are in school most of their lives don't get a lot of practice at directing their own activities, and when given unstructured time many of them tend to default to passive entertainment. My kids spend their unstructured time reading, doing gymnastics, bouncing on the trampoline, playing violin, drawing, doing yoga, baking, cleaning, crafting, riding bikes, going for hikes or runs, playing board games, chatting with each other, taking photos, cooking, reading some more. And watching videos: in our case it doesn't seem like we have a problem with screen time, at least not these days, and we don't have limits on it.

In the past when we decided as a family that we were veering towards too much screen time, we'd declare Screen-Free Days. A day a week, or something like that, helped us all get re-acquainted with the other things that we found pleasure in. I don't think it would have the same effect if it was a parental decree, but as a collaboratively-designed weekly ritual, we found it a good way to rediscover interests and share pleasures.

miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 AM
AAK

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
The TV is off during the day here. It is off by 9:00AM (therefore, if they wake early enough to watch something, they may) and it generally comes back on around 3 or 4 (when dh comes home). Sometimes, it will get turned on earlier-- like 2:00. We don't "school" the whole day. Depending on child and day, they spend anywhere from 45 min up to a few hours doing schoolwork. When they are done, they can play, read, build with legos (etc), do a project, create, go outside, walk the dogs, play games, lay around, etc. I do allow a bit of computer play during this time as well. During the school year, my youngest is excited for when the neighbor kids get home. She will race down to meet them.

All my girls do use some technology during school, but I didn't think that was what you were referring to. Sometimes we will watch a movie for an educational purpose and that happens whenever. I really get annoyed with the tv though--if it is on too much, I truly get aggitated. Therefore, we keep it off during the day. If we get on a bent where we find ourselved dependent on video entertainment, we will get rid of them for a week or two.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had a "no screens before lunch" policy in the past. It works quite well for us, and generally the kids didn't even ask to watch anything in the afternoon either (but if they did, they'd pick a show).
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing, Its great to read how other intentional people approach these things.
Right now we seem to be defaulting to 'screen time after lunch only'....i like the idea of screen free days. It is so much about remembering all the things you can do without screens, rather than vilifying screens completely.

The other day my 6yo said he wanted to know more about past presidents and inventors, so we incorporated that into our 'auditory learning' sessions, very basic, memorize a short list of inventors and their inventions, with a date attached, to clapping hands. (its training auditory and working memory)

I can see how doing this in the longer term, would allow for inspiration to follow particular projects, and that would solve the screen issue by itself to some extent, because there's nothing like waking up inspired to continue one's project.

Thats how i want them to feel. Its how I want to feel.

If we could sit down and brainstorm things of interest, and follow that in all different directions, it would be a satisfying learning experience....

How much have you found age makes a difference to how you approach things?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

How much have you found age makes a difference to how you approach things?
My girls are both far more malleable about trying out new things that I suggest, but also their ideas of what they want to do and how to pursue it is even more sharply in focus. They are taking on bigger but more realistic projects, pushing the boundaries of what they resisted a couple of years ago.

They are better at self-regulating themselves with the TV, for the most part (though we had a Brain Games marathon yesterday they were so in love with the show). They are also more adventurous (they would never have been interested in the show before!) We don't have "real" TV, only videos and what's free online.

I don't know if I'm approaching things differently, but they are sure different. I might be more likely to suggest something that I think is interesting. I have more to go on than "What do you want to learn?" I don't need to start from square one. I know that dd9 is writing a script for her Junior bridging event. We find ways to support and assist her. I hear dd7 complaining she has nothing to read, now she finished Life of Fred Butterflies and is awaiting Cats. I recommended Little House in the Big Woods. No, no, that's too big and hard. But I convince her to try it (amazingly) because it's been a very long time since we've looked at it together and she's become a reading machine in that time. She agrees to try it out.

Many things are different with that scenario. 1. She tells me about her frustration and what she is seeking 2. She can be convinced to give something a try even if she doesn't quite agree it will work out and 3. She's become confident in her new skills and is finding joy in using them and that makes everything easier.

She is enjoying the book, BTW.

Both girls are more confident about where they are headed, at least in the short term. They like to stay busy, thus the TV backup when energy, motivation and desire are not all in synch. Sometimes the TV energizes them, makes them curious. Sometimes it's just pure pap-- easy going down and bland and nothing special but mildly entertaining--and when it gets to be too much in that direction SURPRISE! They can be redirected for the most part.

It's only when they become codependent on each other that I still can't seem to make a dent, but they are actually starting to use the words and strategies I've given them, and there are words to match the emotion. Usually. There are more than enough punches, slaps, pushes and (!!) biting. Oh, but I digress.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM

Our day looks like this:
Wake up, get dressed, morning hygiene
Morning chore time
Breakfast
School. We begin with group lessons, then split off into individual/independent work. They take play breaks as needed.
Lunch
Nap/quiet time
Finish up lessons
Dinner
Evening chores/ baths
Tv/stories/whatever with dad
Bedtime

The only screens during the day are school related. We have lots of books and learning toys (puzzles, blocks, play dough, art supplies). They have access to books and games.
My oldest can earn one hour of video game time per day. The middle two can have up to one hour of computer time(mostly educational games/videos) every other day, after everyone is finished with all of their school work. They spend lots of time outside and lots of time playing, and still put in about 4hours a day on school work.

If I gave them free access to screens, they would do little else. As it is now, they don't ask. They have things to do.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We do no TV until late afternoon, and then it's on for 60-120 minutes, depending on what they're watching. My kids are young enough that they don't know that it could be an option any earlier.
OP: Your kids are all that much more the wiser, being older, but I wonder if you could incorporate what Miranda was suggesting, and sit down with them and come up with some screen boundaries together? I like that idea, and can imagine us doing something like that when our kids come to realize that the TV has an ON/OFF switch that works all hours of the day.
Mind you, we only have Netflix, so that's another thing. We need to hook it up to the television, which they can't do yet.
Do you have cable? You could get rid of that and see what happens?

Our day:
wake up
breakfast - they play and putter and read while I drink my coffee and read for a couple of hours
free play/work time until lunch (self-directed ... I'm available if they need me)
lunch
then out for any errands and park play time until about 4-5pm
screen time before dinner (in the summer, it's about an hour, maybe twice that in the dark months)
dinner
free play/work time until bedtime
bedtime: teeth, stories, bed

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:40 AM

We are sorta' unschool-y in that we don't have a "time for learning...." we learn all day!

Media wise, they have time in the morning after breakfast. They can use their Ipad/the family computer/watch a show for an hour (sometimes a little over, sometimes a little less...) than it's off. That's it We spend our days exploring outdoors, making crafts, going on adventures, reading, taking care of our animals etc. If we need to look something up on the computer (we found a snake and some mushrooms yesterday that needed identification) we absolutely will...but no passive media during the day. They are allowed to have more time if they choose after dinner, but we don't. Yesterday is an example -- after dinner my son was outside tracing leaves, and my daughter was hiding in the bushes with our cat looking for fairies...than they looked for fireflies, and by the time they were done it was baths + bed.

We may watch movies during a snowstorm/rainy day/we don't feel good. I'm not SUPER strict, I just don't want them to become zombies. When it's off, it's off. We may cover the television up with a colorful cloth (more so when they were younger) because it was just so damn big and tempting. I really think media can be addicting (even for me sometimes, hellooo Pinterest) and I want the kids outside/exploring/building etc. We do have plenty of reference books/Waldorf programs etc, but I take what I like from them and leave the rest.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I like your idea of allowing one hour of screen time, and the concept of passive/active screen time. I think the issue with screens is they serve so many different purposes, that each purpose needs to be thought out and given a category and time. Zone out versus research versus creative project versus communication versus mindless games versus educational games etc etc. To me its kind of daunting, and age specific.

Btw, we dont have cable, or tv, we do have videos and the internet.

I think the point someone raised about newly homeschooled/unschooled kids ( i guess theres a continuum there) are more apt to spend hours 'recovering' from school ... and we are still in that phase.

My 9yo tells me he hates math and hates writing, hates working through workbooks. He used to love all of it. Its really sad to see that loss of love. i know he would like it if he did it, but he says 'its only for school, why do i have to have homework in summer!'

I miss the way he used to be. He loved learning. I dont know how much of it is age, and how much of it is school.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.I look forward to hearing more :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
During our school days no TV or computer/games etc before 3pm or after 8pm (with a few school related exceptions)
weekends or holidys 10am-8pm they have acess but I try to limit over use. Mostly this is done just with keeping busy as with school afternoons as well. Many days this is easy were just doing other things they play with friends etc...
I'll admit though we do have many heavy media days in the summer break. It is horrible hot here and many days a lazy afternoon of movies and web surfing is enjoyed by all. IF it is super important then turn the media off it isn't needed.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, i agree the hot days present a challenge that isnt there in the fall. I feel inspired and creative once it gets a little cooler, but feel more like zoning out in the heat. I think its human nature.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can try enrolling your kids in some learning activity at some kids club in your area. They will learn a lot of new things and it will also help you while you homeschool them.

Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas
Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Those kind of clubs dont exist where i live. But my kids were enrolled in many classes.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great topic and discussion going on here! I have also wondered how I could limit my kids' screen time during the day (we don't own a TV, so the only screens they look at are on the IPAD and computer). We are relaxed in terms of homeschooling curriculum so my kids usually end their formal studies after an hour or two. During the rest of the day I'm sometimes disappointed to see them absorbed with the the computer and IPAD (we live in an apartment, so we don't have a yard and there are no neighborhood parks nearby for us to go to). I like the idea of "Screen free days" and will try it.
What I will say is that my kids are fortunately not too absorbed with the screens. When my daughter isn't on the computer, she's usually off reading on her own, writing in her diary, baking, or drawing. My son is a bit more addicted to the IPAD but since he can't use it all the time when other family members need it, he'll usually go play with his Legos or draw. He's not into reading or writing much, which I'm trying to change slowly by having him read during our bedtime story routine. I did notice that my kids like to watch a lot of Youtube videos, most of which are either a bit educational or just simply comedic. For example, my daughter likes to watch baking videos titled "Nerdy Nummies" in which you learn to bake cakes and cookies that resemble your favorite video game characters. And both my kids get a kick out watching "Venturian Tales", where they watch other people playing and making fun of the video games they play. I take a bit of comfort in knowing that they don't venture into too many unknown websites and I make sure to tell them to ask me whether or not they could visit a website they're not familiar with.

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
Old 10-22-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing. The ipad is our latest problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Our children are allowed to watch TV or play video games before 9am. At nine, we do breakfast, then do schoolwork until 11:30. There's chores and lunch, then outside play/reading/free play, followed by another hour or two of schoolwork.

We do have times during the day where they can play video games, watch a show from Netflix or play on the computer for 20-30 minutes, and I'm ok with that. Lately, we've been watching Once Upon a Time together when the new episode shows up on Hulu.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Just wanted to mention that my husband manged to download and print a bunch of worksheets for my son to work on when his "formal" lessons are done with me. The worksheets are simple and fun (crossword puzzles, connect-the-dots, etc). So hopefully he'll be a bit absorbed with those instead of just the IPAD!

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our basic daily Schedule First off we are a TV family. We have dishes smart pack and subscriptions to netflix and hulu plus we also own a Wii and DD 12 has a 3DS.

6-7am-9am up dressed and morning hygine and breakfast I do allow any media or electronic devices as long as the former are completed first..

9:00am-9:45 School block 1
9:45-10:15 recess mandatory outside time. These days they usually bike ride (no media)
10:15-11:00 School block 2
11-12:00pm Lunch media is allowed if I got good cooperation in the am and if all involved agree on the program.
12:00-12:45 School block 3
12:45-1:15 recess no media outside time encouraged if not then their is plenty of non media things to do...
1:15-2:00 school block 4
2:00-3:00 Free time (media allowed at full range as long as I had coperation)
3:00-4:00 Chores
4:00-7:00 Free time and dinner. Also allow pretty free range of media. None during meals and the kids tend to run off with friends during this time so it kinda self regulates.
7:00-8:30 independent school block (music practice independent reading and study time) bedtime for youngest
8:30-10pm free time individual media allowed till 9pm (main TV defaults to me and DH though)
10pm bedtime

For a time I did a ticket system for media time and we quickly return to it if I feel the rather generous times I give gets abused. My youngest pretty much follows this same pattern for TV watching but I'll on occasion put something on for her if I need to work with oldest and she needs some distraction. My oldest would rather sleep in till after 8am and uses her morning time just getting dressed and breakfast and rarely bothers using her morning time.. My youngest always wakes before 7am and asks to watch a show...
DD 12 would rather do her 3DS these days than watch TV when she gets the chance. Playing with friends wins over all though.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 11-09-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
contactmaya… how are things going for your 9yo now that the school year is in full swing? Are they still asking to medicate?
Old Today, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, but his dose is a quarter of the lowest dose the pill comes in. The doctor was surprised, but i said it seems to work. Also, he seems to function fine in certain subjects and not others. On the day where the problematic subjects are not offered (they rely heavily on auditory processing), he doesnt need the pill. So on that day, he doesnt take it.

Also, his has emerging strengths certain subjects that are very visually based (like Geography where he excels beyond anyone else in the class), and is making friends with new kids from 3rd grade since they are now combined with 4th grade. Both are causing his self esteem to improve dramatically.

So this year is much better for him.

Last edited by contactmaya; Today at 08:46 AM.

User Tag List