Peace, Diversity, Social Justice Homeschool Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peace, Diversity, Social Justice Homeschool Ideas

We're officially starting homeschooling with our 6 year old next month.

My husband taught early elementary school for 15 years, so we've got a good handle on the basics.

We live in downeast Maine and despite regular trips to Portland and Boston, we both feel like our kids would benefit from extra education in diversity and culture. We also want to include a good dose of learning in peace studies and social/economic justice.

Montessori seems to incorporate a lot of this naturally. We've also looked at purchasing the Global Village curriculum.

Thoughts from you wise homeschoolin' mamas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What if you took something in your home and traced its origin - what is made of, who made it, where, how, working conditions, energy consumption, etc.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
What a great idea, Rumi. Thanks!
#4 of 5 Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There is something called Peace Education that is being implemented in some schools overseas. It's curriculum focuses on conflict resolution and diversity. The documentary I watched concerning it took place in Ireland, where they were bringing this to the children on both sides of the conflict there. It was amazing.

Anyways, I checked their website and found they do sell curriculum books based on grade level: http://store.peaceeducation.org

ETA- I'm not sure how applicable this curriculum would be in a homeschooling environment. Based on the documentary, it only showed how this worked in large classroom settings (that I remember). But it might be worth checking out- It might be able to be adapted to a home setting as well.
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My older kid is almost 11, and my youngest 6 (both homeschooled).

My older kid is fantastic about understanding social justice issues. Both out in the neighborhood and when playing games online, he's fearless about calling people out when they say or do something sexist, racist, homophobic, etc.

I really think all you have to do is talk to your child a LOT, not be ashamed of talking about bigotry, give them access to Wikipedia (while teaching them the art of vetting wiki sources), and we also went over Zinn's "A People's History", as well.
Amazon Amazon

You'll be fine. Raising moral kids has proven a lot easier than many other aspects of homeschooling (like higher math, lol).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page