New to homeschooling, overwhelmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to homeschooling, overwhelmed

Hi! We have joined a homeschool co-op with several of our neighbors and friends. While the parents take turns teaching each day, it is up to the individual child's parents to provide the academic work for their child. I'm really overwhelmed with the amount of homeschooling resources I've found online and I'm having a hard time picking through it all. I'd really like to find some great workbook/textbook type things that my 7yo daughter can do herself during quiet "folder time" at school, and we can go over it all at the end of the week at home. She is extremely bright and learns very easily. Any suggestions of where I could find something like this?

Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hm, so each child will probably have different materials and the adult teaching that day will help if needed? How big is the group?
#3 of 7 Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Maybe this?
Amazon Amazon
#4 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would have been too stressed out to do something like this when I was home schooling my oldest two. I home schooled in order to get away from doing things like others do it or schooling along with other people. I did join a co-op for a couple years and we all loved it but it was different, it was one day a week for 4 hours in the morning and they had classes the kids could choose to take in art, PE, science, home ec, etc....just fun and relaxing stuff. I've never heard of this kind of co-op that you are describing. That would just would have added to the stress in my life.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
honestly that sounds like a nightmare. Folder time just sounds like "busy work" time which tends to not really teach.. How long of a time is this? Something like what an above poster linked could be an idea.. Or can she just read?

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 7 Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wonder if all the kids have different curriculum/textbooks is the parent/teacher just there for supervision? Otherwise I don't get how the parent is supposed to keep up with each kid's different curriculum. Rainbow Resource Center has a TON of homeschooling workbooks/curriculum. It was overwhelming actually, but I price checked and they had the cheapest prices for everything I ended up buying.

Every homeschooler has a different type of method/way they like to homeschool so what I'm going to offer might not work for you. So take what you like, and leave the rest! There is a book called The Well-Trained Mind that offers advice on which curriculum to choose for your child's age level. It's considered "classical homeschooling." Anyways the author has a website with forums. The forums have given me a wealth of knowledge and advice on homeschooling. They have lots of feedback on curriculum, and it's nice to hear what has worked for different types of children. Also there's a mother that posts reviews on lots of curriculum she has done with her daughter (who I think is around your daughter's age), her website is called satorismiles. Those have been the most helpful websites I've found. Let us know if you find something that works for you, I would love to hear about it!
#7 of 7 Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Count me as someone else who is unfamiliar with the co-op format you're describing. Am I correct that "folder time" is basically like Study Hall for Homeschoolers? In that each child shows up with bookwork, and does it on their own with a supervising adult? And the remaining portion of the day is spent on parent-directed learning in various subjects? How much time are you looking at each day for this independent directed learning? My kids' high school has been using a similar model and for teens it works well for about two thirds the students. The rest don't have the motivation or the necessary skills of self-direction and they just don't stay on task. At younger ages I think the independent time would need to be very short to work well: 20 minutes twice a day at most, with some sort of significant physical activity preceding it, and even that might be a stretch.

Anyway I would look at the big picture of the rest of your dd's education and use that to fill in any gaps you see, work on skills at her particular level, or provide enrichment for things she's keen on. For instance, if you think she could use some encouragement reading, or would benefit from learning about a particular period in history, have her take a suitable book to read during that time. If she wants to learn cursive, use that time for a handwriting workbook or copy-work. If you feel her math skills are shaky, find a math workbook program to use then. Or maybe she has an interest that she'd like to pursue (drawing mandalas using geometry skills, music theory learning, learning world geography, calligraphy, eg.) during folder time.

You don't have to come up with a comprehensive year-long plan that will provide for all her academic needs, just some ideas to try for now. Adjust, set aside, replace, toss in the garbage, try something new -- it will all be easy to change as time goes along, and that's one of the big benefits of homeschooling. Once you identify particular areas you'd like to use that time to focus on, there are probably people here who would have good suggestions for appropriate materials. It would help to know how much time is devoted to "folder time," and what the format of those sessions is like. "Academic work for a 7-year-old" is really too open-ended for me to offer any meaningful suggestions.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page