Homeschooling While Working - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By moominmamma

#1 of 7 Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Homeschooling While Working

There have been a number of new bills proposed to kick kids out of school with exemptions. If they pass the only option to educate my dd will be to home school.

My dd is currently in public school now (and doing well) about to enter second grade. She also needs a lot of socialization and peer pressure to force herself to learn but things like camps will be out of our reach if the new law passes.

So far the only thing I have found that doesn't require exemptions are some theater classes. Play groups haven't been a good option for us since they typically meet during work hours.

I was hoping I could get some ideas on how homeschooling could be done with divorced, working parents. It's not like I can stay home to teach my dd during work hours. Also school is being used for child care most of the year so I'm also trying to figure out ideas for affordable child care as i can't afford a nanny or f/t baby sitter.

Has anyone worked out a solution or have ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Homeschool during nights and weekends. HOnestly HS takes much less time than traditional school. If you join a homeschool group you might be able to find a family to provide daycare for DD and take her to those field trips etc.

Also start a park day on weekends, just because its not happening now, doesnt mean it can't happen!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks Zebra! Unfortunately the homeschooling groups and co-ops in my state would still require an exemption if the bill passes. My only choice is a 'single home' or 'multi-home' home school.
#4 of 7 Old 04-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Homeschooling groups don't have to be formal groups that homeschool together- they can just be people who all chat to each other about their kids' homeschooling experience (and if they need an "exemption" for that- yikes). You can still see if there are any other parents in the area who homeschool who'd be willing to watch your daughter while you work. Or even homeschool-supportive SAH parents. If you can't afford any money for childcare, you can find other ways of barter. There are definitely options, but you have to make them for yourself.

By the way- what do you mean by exemptions? I just haven't heard it in this context before.

1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Yes, our homeschool group is an email list made up of a bunch of people who know each other and sometimes get together at a park, or to sign their kids up for daytime swim lessons or whatever.

Also curious what "exemptions" are...

Miranda
sillysapling likes this.

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
#6 of 7 Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
@zoeyzoo - I don't know about other homeschooler, but I love to have another kid with us. I'm sure that I'm not the only one
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If OP is in California, there was an amendment made that sais homeschoolers will not be under the mandate, not sure if that's what is being said but sounds like it...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page