Mothering Forum banner

Second grade subjects

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  homeschoolingmama 
#1 ·
I'm finally motivated to start getting my second-grader's curriculum together. Like last year, I'm just going to piece it together by picking and choosing after my research. What subjects do you guys cover for second grade? I always try to cover all of them, whether it's taking field trips for science activities, taking an art class, etc. We don't have a regimented schedule, but I do mix book work along with a more free-flowing learning approach as well.

I'm getting stumped, however, on a few things:

Here's what we have so far:

1. Language arts (Sing, Spell, Read and Write) - covers spelling, reading, grammar and comprehension, with a supplemental writing program (Daily Trait Writing) and supplemental language arts (Language Smarts)

2. Core math program (Right Start) along with supplementals (Life of Fred and Mathematical Reasoning)

3. History (Story of the World Volume I)

4. Geography (Daily Geography)

5. Science (interactive science) and weekly co-op class

Am I missing anything? Does it look like I'm covering pretty well all the bases?

We aren't crazy about Story of the World, Interactive Science, and our geography first grade book is almost done and although I liked it, I'm open to other suggestions. Also, I'd like a good social studies program if anyone has suggestions.

There's so much out there it becomes overwhelming!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't tend to think in terms of subjects but in terms of achieving balanced lives and balanced learning. In addition to academics, my kids' homeschooling plan always includes ways of addressing personal development (life skills, responsibility, independence, introspection, executive function skills, etc.), community involvement (volunteer activities, clubs, meet-ups), wellness (nutrition, fitness, sports, general health), creativity (which might include two or more of music, art, photography, digital media, creative writing, theatre, etc.) and time in the natural world (which is often part and parcel of community involvement, fitness and life skills). We also usually at least consider the inclusion of some second-language learning.

Miranda

#4 ·
second grade was our first year to homeschool. (after a semester of K12) Because of the transation and finding our footing we stuck to the basics.
MCP for math
Catholic heritage Language arts and handwriting
catholic heritage religion
That was basically it.. I started reading to her from the first story of the World for history though we did little else. For science we mostly just checked out library books and did stuff from National geographic on line.
I enrolled her in Gynastics and she started taking piano lessons as well

#6 ·
We use books but are flexible with how we use them

We have 6 children. My older 3 have a bit extra (12, 11 and 9)

We do Right Start math for 5 of them daily.
Spelling for 5 of them. I got lists off of the internet for their age and I just ask them the same list daily for a wk. By Friday they know the words.
History and Geography we tie in together and just have fun with all of our children. We read books and find the places on our map. We discuss oceans, provinces, countries and just have fun with it.
For World History we are doing SOTW now. We aren't doing all of the activities though. I read a chapter a day and we play a game with the questions. I ask and they rush to raise their hands to show they know the answer. It is all in fun. We discuss things a lot. Not a lot of seat work.
We do Sonlight science 4 days a wk. This involves reading a book 3 days and the other day we do an experiment that is laid out for us.
We don't use reading programs. I sit with the one learning to read and listen and help out.
We don't do grammar until older. We use Grammar Ace. My 3 older ones are doing this book together and won't need anything else until high school.

So for my gr. 2 age it is:
Math
Spelling
Discussing history and geography
science as a family
SOTW as a family

So basically seat work is the math. I prefer talking with them and enjoying the knowledge. When they are older I have them do a bit more seat work but not a lot more. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.