Best Source for Curriculum and Homeschooling Resources? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2002, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the best source for non-bible based curriculum and resources for homeschooling? I am wanting to purchase many books and other items for an eclectic, non-bible based (at least for the most part) homescholing program. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2002, 06:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for- we use a book called The Well Trained Mind to help us plan which curriculum to use for what, but one of my favorite sites for purchasing is Rainbow Resource (huge selection, great prices). They do carry Christian materials, but also a lot of secular.
http://rainbowresource.com/
Old 06-10-2002, 08:44 PM

You might want to take a look at Rebecca Rupp's Complete Home Learning Sourcebook. It's a huge book packed with suggestions of curriculae, books, magazines, games, programs, computer programs, etc. etc. including information on where to purchase them. I found it at the library and kept checking it out until I had to buy my own copy. I'm not recommending Amazon.com, but you can read more about it on their site here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...799510-8820938

Also, if you go to Home Education Magazine's site, http://www.home-ed-magazine.com/, and click on Resources, you'll find a lot.

And I like this catalog:
http://www.fun-books.com/
Old 06-11-2002, 01:44 PM

It seems that most of the catalogs are Christian-based, so I just try to get several opinions on materials before I buy them. I just came across www.resourcefulhomeschooler.com which does not seem Christian and has nice descriptions of all their stuff, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet so I can't tell you anything about customer service, etc.

My big suggestion is to start out slowly. Give yourself a budget and stick to it. There's a lot of stuff that sounds great out there, but you'll never use it all. I spent about $160 on a foreign language program and about $100 on other stuff (including art supplies) and my mom kicked in about $100 in books and materials --- we now have enough for about 3 years of homeschooling - and I felt I was being pretty frugal and restrained!!! It helps keep things under control and in perspective if you have a dedicated homeschooling bookshelf where all the stuff is kept. That helped me, anyway, to realize that I didn't need to keep buying new things!
Old 06-12-2002, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone has already mentioned Rainbow resources. I also like www.lovetolearn.com (It is Christian but it isn't a Bible based cirriculum just a resource of good stuff that most people would find unobjectionable) and I got my math stuff from www.mommyschool.com for a steal. I am not sure about the rest of thier stuff but they certainly had the best price.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-12-2002, 05:07 AM

here's one I heard of here and have loved...
www.vegsource.com/homeschool.
Just purchased a used curriculum through the site

User Tag List