Mothering Forum banner

Pioneer UNit/theme for obsessed 5 year old

497 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  party_of_seven 
#1 ·
Hi All,
So my daughter, 41/2 is obseessed with pioneer life.
We have read a lot of books, went to our local musuem, wash clothes in a basin in the back already.
She is totally eager to do more things with it.

Do you have any ideas?
thanks
brenda

#2 ·
My now 8 year old went through this fascination. Try reading the Little House on the Prairie books. Little house also have several books out like the Little HOuse cook book, Little house craft books. Try your library we found tons of pioneer type books. Craft books activity books etc.
I enjoyed this exploration. Lots of fun

#3 ·
That is so cool! What fun! How about making corn husk dolls? It is sooooooo easy. I did it with my 3 yo the other night.
Or making a simple log cabin doll house.
Making plant dyes and dyeing some natural wool? I'd stay away from pokeberry since it's so poisonous but yellowroot or walnut would be fun.
Bathing in the basin on Saturday night
after filling it one pail at a time.
Ooh! Go hear some live fiddle!
Square dance!

#4 ·
Dd chose a pioneer theme birthday party last year! I made her a dress and bonnet. We made sock dolls, made butter from cream, played some pioneer games. There are lots of resources available.

#5 ·
Thanks all.
We all enjoyed the LIttle House series. (and will be reading them again) Just last night on my library searches, I realized they had campanion books- she will be happy.
Plus, found some reasonable stuff on frontieer house website.

I really want to make the butter. I have found memories of that as a child.

Where does one get fresh wool?
Or the cornhusk dolls- havent seen those at the craft store.

We just went thru the socks, so dolls would be great fun.

thanks all
brenda

#6 ·
Last summer my 5yo and I did a lot of study about pioneers.

We did a lot of the stuff already mentioned. I also bought the Pioneer House video set....that was really cool...well worth it imo. We have enough land that we decided to raise our own chickens. We started with 27. Once they got big enough dh and I did the work of butchering them and putting them in the freezer. (the kids were cool with that) We still have 6 hens who are laying now. Its like a perpetual egg hunt around here...lol. They kids love collecting the eggs everyday and feeding the chickens. We also started a huge garden that we all work together in, and we have done some canning too.

We also cooked in our dutch oven outside, and we made hand dipped candles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.