Mothering Forum banner

Can't find support as homeschoolers!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ReignWesten 
#1 ·
Hi Friends!
We moved from the thumb of Michigan to the Downriver suburbs.
As soon as we moved I contacted all the local homeschooling groups. Only to be denied by every. single. one! It was so depressing!
Our youngest daughter has several life threatening food allergies and as soon I mentioned that I got vague emails saying things like " We feel for the safety of your child, but we are unable to accommodate your family.... Sorry we will pray for you' or various emails along those lines.
All the emails mentioned liability, and that we are "welcomed back" once she becomes more aware of her surroundings and can "defend herself".
Now here we are mid july and I have no idea what we will do this fall! My toddler with the FA is 2 followed by my 5 and 7 year old. I don't know anyone in the community and it's isolating...I have 3 fun loving girls and all they want is to make friends, I just want to make sure we can find an environment that will "welcome us" and all of our "issues".

#2 ·
WOW that is hard. I wish that people had more understanding!

I would go to parks, community events, an organization like girl scouts, basically anything that I could with different age children. See how that works out...I hope that you find something.

Hey! you could join us over in the unschooling form. We have a small group of like minded moms :nerd:

#3 ·
Wow! I haven't been on this site in years. I had to make a new login just to reply. I'm in the downriver area and wanted to say Hi! There are some FB groups for our area that you may want to join. They have mom meet ups, field trips, and park days for all the local kids. Just search downriver and home school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.