Mothering Forum banner

Introverted, Low Energy Mom

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  joandsarah77 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I thought I'd write here about something I've been struggling with lately, just to see if anyone has anything they can add or recommend to me.

So, I have two kids-- a girl, almost 4 years old, and a boy, who just turned one year old. Both have been incredibly "high needs" kids who rarely sleep and are always on the go, either emotionally physically or otherwise. The sleep thing is really killer for me because it affects my energy level and emotions during the day, and I'm already an introverted low energy type as it is. Basically, after a night like last night (baby was up too many times to count, at least twice an hour, then up for the day at FOUR in the morning), I have little energy to "go go go" or "do do do".

I *can* and do delight in the little homemaking things. Cooking, keeping mostly up with housework, snuggling my kids, reading, etc.

But we don't "do" much the way some families seem to. And we live rurally, far from big city amenities. Our once-weekly outing is to the library, and maybe once every week or two we go to our small children's museum. Grocery shopping, too. The odd playgroup. And that's IT. That's all I can handle.

But in regards to homeschooling and keeping my kids home with me, there is that eternal "socialization" question. And the question of "is reading a lot and playing together and doing chores together" enough? I'm not high energy. We simply do not do Pinteresty things. We do basics very well. I expect my kids to be bored at times, and to find creative ways to fill time (not a whole lot of screen time). I still need to nap with the baby every day because he won't sleep without me there.

Does this sound like a recipe for a successful homeschool? Am I dooming my kids to failure? Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi All,

I thought I'd write here about something I've been struggling with lately, just to see if anyone has anything they can add or recommend to me.

So, I have two kids-- a girl, almost 4 years old, and a boy, who just turned one year old. Both have been incredibly "high needs" kids who rarely sleep and are always on the go, either emotionally physically or otherwise. The sleep thing is really killer for me because it affects my energy level and emotions during the day, and I'm already an introverted low energy type as it is. Basically, after a night like last night (baby was up too many times to count, at least twice an hour, then up for the day at FOUR in the morning), I have little energy to "go go go" or "do do do".

I *can* and do delight in the little homemaking things. Cooking, keeping mostly up with housework, snuggling my kids, reading, etc.

But we don't "do" much the way some families seem to. And we live rurally, far from big city amenities. Our once-weekly outing is to the library, and maybe once every week or two we go to our small children's museum. Grocery shopping, too. The odd playgroup. And that's IT. That's all I can handle.

But in regards to homeschooling and keeping my kids home with me, there is that eternal "socialization" question. And the question of "is reading a lot and playing together and doing chores together" enough? I'm not high energy. We simply do not do Pinteresty things. We do basics very well. I expect my kids to be bored at times, and to find creative ways to fill time (not a whole lot of screen time). I still need to nap with the baby every day because he won't sleep without me there.

Does this sound like a recipe for a successful homeschool? Am I dooming my kids to failure? Thoughts?
And really, part of my question is that I struggle with perceived comparison and worry that I am not "enough" now, iykwim. I've just barely got a handle on my HN kids and keeping our home as peaceful as possible, despite a husband who works very long hours with few days off. I'm far from family and doing it on my own. My kids are bright and engaged. So, yeah, sometimes we have pajama days. Most days I nap with the baby. We don't send our kids to this and that preschool or activity. We are very much At Home the majority of the time, doing not terribly interesting things. Reading, writing, cooking, playing with simple toys, chores.

For a lot of moms I know, that's not enough. I should be sending my daughter to school, we should be logged onto Pinterest doing All the Things, planning trips, attending moms groups, etc.

I worry that I'm too low energy and chill. That there's not a constant opportunity to "socialize" and do All the Activities. That I'm too okay with letting the kids be bored at home.

#3 ·
you have small children and that hoes with being low energy...

my suggestion: maybe having some.friends with kids coming over would spare you from driving somewhere and you could enjoy some mom to mom talks..I personally feel that having other mothers around me with the same situation helps me to not feel alone.. It is hard to be a parent, we are constantly questionning our acting etc...

#4 ·
agree

Finding like minded friends with kids was very helpful for me. And for us, going out was a necessity not an option. I find I need to get some exercise and fresh air otherwise I go bat___crazy (and I end up getting headachy). Also my son was super intense and it was actually less work just to let him play in the park then trying to cope with him bouncing off the walls inside our home, unless of course it was minus 20 out or I was sick or had a migraine. I'd guess with a baby you're still exhausted, not wanting to do a lot is understandable. Having other kids visiting can lighten the load in some ways because it takes some of the focus off of you to entertain, plus it's good for kids to have playmates their age. I don't know any "Pinterest" moms but people should do what they do because they enjoy it, why hate creativity?

#5 ·
I think you'll do fine as homeschoolers! Constant socialization is impractical and unnecessary. Seriously, the worry about socialization for homeschooled kids is so irrelevant these days, I feel. You're introverted and your kids might be too, not even craving that much socialization. Honestly, I think more people need to encourage independent, solitary time. Kids need to get bored and figure out what to do with it! As your kids grow, your routines will change.. maybe they'll get involved in activities, girl/boy scouts, church group, homeschool group, who knows! You'll also possibly get more sleep and energy as time passes, so life could really look different 2 years from now! Your oldest isn't required to be schooled yet, so I would just chill out and see what life brings when they're more at that age. :) (pinterest is seriously great for homeschooling though!)

#8 ·
Yes, reading, playing and doing chores together is enough. Right now you are in a season of little sleep, snuggles and little ones, this too shall pass. Once your baby is older and sleeping through then look to do some more things. Don't compare yourself to others, its a deadly trap whichever end of the scale you happen to be on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.