New Requirements in Maine for filing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-25-2002, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh - I just finished my Maine application to HS DS. We have to show a curriculum or syllabus now with resources/texts listed. It took me two hours to do that. I usually do have a plan in my head that evolves over the year and have been happy with that...now I had to put it down on paper. 6 pages in the word processor and I kept my laundry list to a minimum too!

I wonder if anyone else has got whammied with this unexpectedly? Obviously, we don't keep in real close contact with our HS group or we would have known about this in advance?

If anyone wants to see our 7th grade syllabus give me a holler. It has six sections comprised of didactic material, Independent Reading, Community Involvement, Formal Instruction Outside the Home, Ongoing Hobbies, and Life Experiences (as if those could be planned - haha).

Sarah
was in shock but am now over it, sort of
#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2002, 08:40 PM

"Operate a home school as a non-approved private school that teaches at least two unrelated students" seems to be your option 2 besides all the paperwork and having to get approval. Can you join forces with another hs family to becaome a nonapproved school? That is what I would do, if I had another family I could totally trust that unschooled or was relaxed. The really crappy part is the legislation about transferring the credits back into the public school system. Hopefully next year the amendment to the legislation will be revoked by the work the HSLDA attorneys are doing.
Here in IL there are many hs parents asleep at the wheel, enjoying the freedoms and hopefully they will wake up to cast a vote in the Govenor's election coming up. I wish you the best through the next school year!
Mary
#3 of 4 Old 06-26-2002, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'd rather fill out the paperwork (I don't mind too very much since I do the plan in my head anyway!) than team up...there are several families around here who have teamed up but it's not my cup of tea. I am a work-at-home mom and have a huge age spread in my children's ages....well not real huge but 10 years...and value our privacy and freedom immensely. What surprises me is that I do belong to a 'group' that has a newsletter...no mention of this change was made in the newsletter or on our email listing...additionally, no hint was given by the education department at all...just an insert with this year's application. Geesh! Here is Maine we do have a lot of freedom...but I don't think that the relationship between the ed dept and the HS is at all an adverserial one. First off in our town, everyone is too very aware of how much $ each HS child saves the school budget LOL.

Sarah
#4 of 4 Old 06-28-2002, 06:13 PM

I am worried about the daytime curfew laws that are passing. Hsers would have to show proof 'satisfactory' that they are actually homeschooled. Just passed here in La Salle I guess. I have an older big kid 13 years old and I hate to have him walk over to the Y and get hassled by the truant officer. Really ticks me off. We have a lot of freedom, but it seems to be just a long long leash. KWIM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page