Question about Miquon Math and Cuisenaire Rods.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently using Singapore Math for Dd who is doing 2nd grade math......

I would like to supplement it with Miquon and the rods....

Question...as I look through Rainbow Resources, I am wondering if I should order the whole grade 1- grade 3 Miquon? And which set of rods would be enough? They list so many choices...I am currently looking at the "No Frills" Rods. Or would the Introduction to Cuisinaire Rods be better? And then, wooden or plastic???? I personally love wooden everything....but if the rods are bright colors, dd(and ds) would be more likely to play with them. Dd once told me to stop buying wooden things as they aren't "pretty". Practically speaking, I would assume that the plastic rods would be easier to keep clean(thinking of ds ).

Thanks for any advice!

mp
#2 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 02:51 PM

I have the rods. It looks like your son is my son's age. I love wooden stuff, but I ended up buying the plastic rods that link together. I figure that, since he loves building things, that linking rods would appeal to him. By playing with them, he may learn some maths foundation stuff.

I don't know about the Miquon workbooks.
#3 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM

I bought the whole set and plastic rods from www.timberdoodle.com

I would go ahead and order the set if it isn't a financial strain..even if you don't stick with the program, you can keep them around for supplementing/playing...
We went through them pretty quick with ds, so I was glad to have the whole set.

I can't speak for the rods--like I said we just got the plastic ones...they are nice to just dump and wash when they need it, and seeing how our little one gnaws wood to death, I think I'm kind of glad I got plastic. We have wood blocks--but those are thicker, I don't have to worry about him breaking the wood off in his mouth, kwim?

BTW, there is a miquon math yahoo support group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/miquon-key/

They are super helpful and really nice

hth

Lauren

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#4 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Dar

Cuisenaire Rods don't link together, whether they're wood or plastic. Maybe you have unifix cubes? For Miquon, you really need Cuisenaire Rods. And actually, the wood ones are almost as bright as the plastic ones, and they feel much nicer. I love the rods, we've always had big sets just to play with, but for Miquon the small set would be plenty.

If you're already using Singapore, though, it might be really hard to add Miquon. Singapore is a pretty traditional curriculum, and Miquon is not - it's very holistic and organic, and children are exposed to concepts in first grade that most curriculums don't incorporate until much later - but it's in such a concrete way that it works. It's really a whole different way of thinking about math, and numbers, and how they work. I really love Miquon, if that's not obvious.

If you just want to supplement with some rod activities, the Super Source series has some books on Cuisenaire activities that are really quite good, and also some with pattern blocks.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 06:09 PM

We have the wooden rods, and they're VERY nice. Very bright, and have a nice feel. Seem pretty sturdy, too (although I'll admit becoming disenchanted with the entire Cuisenaire concept, so we don't use them as much). FWIW, dh works in the plastic industry and has requested that we buy wood whenever possible because it just feels nicer in hand.

Also, it seems that many people do the Miquon/Singapore combo. I think it's the appeal of mixing rightbrained math with leftbrained.
#6 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the wooden rods and I like them a lot. The colors are bright, not dull at all.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Cuisenaire Rods don't link together, whether they're wood or plastic. Maybe you have unifix cubes? For Miquon, you really need Cuisenaire Rods. And actually, the wood ones are almost as bright as the plastic ones, and they feel much nicer. I love the rods, we've always had big sets just to play with, but for Miquon the small set would be plenty.
They make connecting ones now, but I don't know how new they are. We have an intro set of 74 that connect. I don't know if it's Ok to post a link, but this is the picture from the mfg homepage:
http://www.etacuisenaire.com/cuisena...enairerods.jsp

They are so cool! This way, my son can "build houses" like he does and then notice that certain color combos are equal to others.
#8 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the connecting ones and want them. they would be so helpful to my dd who easily gets distracted and thrown off when her rods are acting up and being naughtly (won't stay put) they also have some that connect and have marks on them so you can count how many the rod represents something that woul dhave been really helpful when we started out.

Another thing youmay want to get is a rod track. it is a glorified number line that you can set your rds in and find the answers. my kids have really enjoyed the miquon stuff since we got them. I would recommend getting the whole set since they go in such a crazy order. you can always skip around to where you need to be.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Dar

Oh! They do have connecting rods. I learned something new.

I don't think I like them, though. Maybe it's being a math-head, but the original rods were so much more aesthetically pleasing, and solid, and the new ones don't have the same symmetry anymore. They're actually not right, because the little connectors make it so they're not exactly multiples if 1 square centimeter.

I do like the rod track, though.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 03:04 AM

I like the wooden rods, and I think that the plastic ones slide too much. I love the rod track, and hve all kinds of other accesories too. Addicted, might be the word.

My son always used Miquoan until around third grade.... he worked through every book we had. I also used the fractions, puzzles and cubes- geometry set also. We were using Saxon Math as well by 4th grade. He was in Algebra by the 6th grade which I contribute to Miquoan, since they are doing Algebra from the beginning with the rods without knowing it.

What is the Singapore?
#11 of 11 Old 07-23-2004, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!!!

Lauren-I bookmarked the Miquon yahoo site-THANKS!!!!

Dar- I hear what you are saying about the contrast of Singapore and Miquon....but that is exactly why I am interested in it for dd. She is a strangely well-rounded child....her problem solving skills are amazing. At an early age of 6 yo, she was putting together 200 piece puzzles-umm....by herself. I have found it odd that she can do that kind of visual activity so well since really, her strength is in auditory learning. And in the newest catalog of RAinbow Resources, they actually say that the 2 programs compliment each other. There is info on this at www.singmath.com. I am hoping it will not be a waste of $$$$$.

I agree Dar- while it seems like the connecting rods would be appealing to our dc, dh and I agree that the "exact" size equaling 1 cm is very important. I'll leave Legos to do the building stuff.

Lilyka-Your description of the rods acting naughty for Madeline cracked me up!!! I awill take your advice and get the rod track.

SSOOOOOOOOOO.......I am going to order the wooden intro set with the track, and order Grades 1-3 Miquon.

fougrtkidos- www.singaporemath.com

THanks again!!

Blessings,
mp

GO LANCE!!!!!6666666666666666666666666666666666666666 66666666666666

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page