Oak Meadow Curriculum..... Anyone use it?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-02-2002, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been homeschooling for about 5 months. I feel like I have NO IDEA what I am doing! So I was thinking about getting a curriculum. But I am not sure what. Have been using work books, which my DD seems to like. But I feel like stuff is missing.
I saw the add for Oak Meadow in Mothering mag. Has anyone used it? Is it good if you have. I really don't have alot of money to spend, it appears to be pricey. But I am willing to pay for it if it is good.

Thanks for the info!

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 9 Old 07-02-2002, 04:45 PM

There's a thread on Oak Meadow further on down this page (you might want to search for the term Oak Meadow to find related threads). Also, over in Alternative Education there's a thread on Homeschooling w/Waldorf Philosophy in which folks discuss Oak Meadow.

Another place to check is www.waldorfresources.org/ where you can find consumer reviews of various Waldorf educational packages and books like Oak Meadow, Live Ed, Golden Beetle, Waldorf Without Walls.
#3 of 9 Old 07-02-2002, 08:04 PM

We have 3 girls and this is our 2nd year using Oak Meadow and we LOVE IT! It nutures the soul while learning for both you and the child. Yes it's worth the money! It's also a great guidline with the freedom to do some unschooling. I have looked at many others and if your looking for something to embrace the child and you get it!
#4 of 9 Old 07-02-2002, 10:22 PM

mamaofthree,

Have you noticed that Linda In Arizona lives in Tucson too?
#5 of 9 Old 07-03-2002, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I read the thread... A LOT TO READ! But very informative!

HEATHER

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#6 of 9 Old 07-09-2002, 01:41 AM

Oak Meadow is well-rounded and easy to follow. I chose it partly because I'm overwhelmed and don't have a lot of planning time. I chose it partly to balance my very academically oriented son who reads lots of encyclopedias and works all the time of his own choice. I chose it partly because it includes much of what I felt to either be missing in my own life as well as what I loved in my life and wanted to accentuate. Hey, I'm homeschooling too!

I like it, but we augment a lot. Our son enjoys very deep self-directed unit studies and experiments and huge projects. Oak Meadow is well planned and helps me especially when I'm struggling to balance the needs of our family and worry about short-changing someone.

I purchase it in the spring when it's on sale. You can also get it used often on ebay or waldorf resources. Also, if you're really pinched for cash, their web site has such detailed overviews that I've used those on my own (the free stuff) when I didn't want to spend the money.

I don't purchase the consultant package. I do spend extra money on other teachers though (piano, Japanese). I wouldn't be
able to afford that if we sent our children to the Waldorf school
in town.

For those who follow Waldorf education, Oak Meadow is often
criticized for not being pure enough - e.g. for succumbing to the main stream by introducing some academic concepts earlier. Many of these critics prefer Live Ed or Golden Beetle or using the Steiner College resources.

I'm more of a pick-and-choose person. I like the beauty of Waldorf, but it's not totally my son as he's so driven and has been reading and writing from an early age. Also, my husband naturally teaches our children more academically than Waldorf would.
#7 of 9 Old 07-23-2002, 02:26 AM

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses Oak Meadow with an older child. Ds is 9, but academically above his grade level (translation: he gets bored with busy work, rote work and memorization, doesn't need any help to remember every single thing he's read or heard in the last 5 years, including things that I hadn't thought he'd noticed, for better or worse, LOL) and is beyond the "fact-gathering" stage, into the analytical stage. I like the idea of Oak Meadow, but the grade 3 I looked at last year, and the grade 4 this year didn't look challenging enough. I was thinking of buying a higher grade level, but want to know if it gets more "challenging" in the later years. I know that Waldorf emphasized holding off on academics till later, at what grade do more academic and analytic kinds of things get introduced?

TIA
Ali
#8 of 9 Old 07-23-2002, 02:04 PM

Mamaofthree,

I've recently purchased the preschol package (on sale!) and I am so pleased. However, i discovered (too late) that I needn't have purchased the whole thing since the preschool supplies i'd already owned (paints, brushes, paper, music tape, and beeswax coloring blocks.) Oh well, gifts for others altough the paintbrushes they sent were beautiful!

The heart of Learning and Learning process are so filled with insight and gently written spiritual/parenting guidance that I'd have paid twice as much to get them if I'd had to. They have really helped me in a slump time in my perenting growth.

I've no experience with the curriculum for older children though.

Good luck

p.s. They have a money back 30 day trial guarantee so maybe you could just try it1
#9 of 9 Old 07-24-2002, 03:21 PM

I started the Oak Meadow thread a while back. Since then I ordered the 5th grade package for ds (on sale) and got the 1st grade package for dd from ebay. From what I've seen so far I am very impressed! The teacher manuals/Heart of Learning are amazing! They are exactly what I've been searching for. I think I'm also going to order the pre school package for my younger ds so he will keep busy while I work with the older ones. I don't usually do things like that as I'm sure he could color or something but it's less than $100 and I think he'll really like it.

Good luck!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page