How much is this going to cost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-02-2002, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh and I are both very interested in HSing, but I need to get a feel for how much we can expect to fork out, from low end to high end of the scale. Not that it's going to deter us, but it's nice to have a rough draft, kwim? If there are links to other posts, I'd welcome them.

I suppose through APing that we've been "unschooling", though that's not really been our aim, it's a nice side-effect. Our dd is 21 mos and a real firecracker with a good brain. I LOVE to watch her "connect the dots" as I call it. What a treasure!

I am also interested to know, if anyone can direct me to links, what the requirements are in GA for hs'ers. Is it a paperwork nightmare? (I'm not the MOST organized person in the known universe, so....)

I know there's some groups here, and am investigating that as well, but sometimes folks don't care for a phone call at midnight.

TIA!
#2 of 12 Old 07-02-2002, 06:50 PM

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=GA
that link is to the state law, it requires more then my state IL, but not so much that it would overwhelm anyone

http://www.ghea.org/
the georgia home educator page (Christian)

http://www.homeschoolmedia.net/regis...l?locale=15288
the georgia page of the homeschool social register, I would look here for a family the says they are eclectic, relaxed, unschooling etc.. and just email asking them if you could have some ideas on which homeschool groups might fit your needs and family. Also you can find out if there is someone in your school district homeschooling to ask about how friendly the super is to hsers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query...&submit=Search
join a few of these email group lists to lurk and read about the things going on in the day to day life of other folks hsing there, you can set up a seperate email address for free on yahoo. Many moms use the lists to share ideas on local field trips, conferences/conventions upcoming, as a watch dog for harrassment by local officials, and just for moral support. You can search the archives at any time of day or night too
I reccomend getting the catalogues from Rainbow Resources and Elijah company to see what folks pay for curriculum, there are some reviews there as well. There are also websites devouted to frugal living and some of the moms that put them up are hsing and share wonderful tips on saving money.
I wish you the best of luck!!
Mary
http://www.dbmen.com (my homeschool bookmarks)
#3 of 12 Old 07-02-2002, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! knock my socks off, will ya?!
I LOVE the web. (hugging my laptop)

One thing I forgot to ask everyone, which maybe I should start another thread altogether, is what have you found to be the biggest hurdle in your hsing endeavors?
#4 of 12 Old 07-02-2002, 10:09 PM

Here is a website that has links for everything!

http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschooling/

Quote:
One thing I forgot to ask everyone, which maybe I should start another thread altogether, is what have you found to be the biggest hurdle in your hsing endeavors?
Other people
#5 of 12 Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 PM

I thought it would be my kids attitudes, my own work ethic, the cost of me at home, figureing out how to comply with the law etc.. that would the hardest part of homeschooling. I was wrong, it was other's attitudes towards our family. Bear in mind that I nurse my 2 plus years old kids in public, don't spank, don't get a sitter if we can help it, we co-sleep, and all other kinds of shocking things but for many of our extended family and neighbors, our homeschooling was the 'end all horror of horrors' sealing the fact that the kids were not going to grow up normal.
#6 of 12 Old 07-03-2002, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alixzara
...what have you found to be the biggest hurdle in your hsing endeavors?
By far, the biggest hurdle has been getting the idea of "school" out of my head. When we first started, we began with texts and workbooks and a schedule and desk. It didn't last long at all because I quickly realized that I was just duplicating what had been in the classroom. Although our style has changed drastically in the past two years, I still have to fight thoughts of what the children "should" know at such-and-such an age. Deschooling myself is the most difficult task.

As to costs, it is amazing how much a public school can cost! (There is a thread here about that, but I don't know how to link--look around, I believe it's a recent thread.) You still need to send supplies to school, and of course have supplies at home for homework and projects. There is the cost of backpacks, lunch boxes, school lunches (or convenience-packs for bag lunches) field trip costs, fund raiser costs (don't underestimate this one!) Money spent on class parties, gifts for teachers, etc. It really adds up.

Here's another link for you: http://www.nhen.org/leginfo/detail.a...teCode=Georgia

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#7 of 12 Old 07-03-2002, 01:15 PM

At the low end, you can homeschool for the cost of paper and art supplies as long as you have a good library. On the other end, you can spend hundreds each year on curriculum, classes, music lessons, etc. We are somewhere in the middle. I try to focus our spending on things that both kids can use over and over. We've bought children's encyclopedias, math manipulatives, etc. The little curriculum we use is very inexpensive (Singapore Math for $30 for first grade, Explode the Code phonics books at $5 each).

For me, the best thing about homeschooling is being with my kids all the time. My biggest hurdle is.....

being with my kids all the time.
#8 of 12 Old 07-03-2002, 08:20 PM
kel

We're unschoolers, so we don't use a curriculum, workbooks or any of that sort of stuff, and I'm sure that keeps costs down. But honestly, I think the bottom line is that people will spend what they can afford. The main things we use on a daily basis are: the library, office paper my dh brings home (printed on one side), pens, pastels, clay, the garden, the wading pool, the kitchen, and weekend hikes. In the winter I usually enroll the kids in some art classes, and some enrichment classes through the homeschooling assoc. in our city... I guess I'd say it would average out to maybe $35. a month total for a 7 yr. old and 3 yr. old.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#9 of 12 Old 07-03-2002, 08:23 PM
kel

We're unschoolers, so we don't use a curriculum, workbooks or any of that sort of stuff, and I'm sure that keeps costs down. But honestly, I think the bottom line is that people will spend what they can afford. The main things we use on a daily basis are: the library, office paper my dh brings home (printed on one side), pens, pastels, clay, the garden, the wading pool, the kitchen, and weekend hikes. In the winter I usually enroll the kids in some art classes, and some enrichment classes through the homeschooling assoc. in our city... I guess I'd say it would average out to maybe $40. a month total for a 7 yr. old and 3 yr. old.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#10 of 12 Old 07-03-2002, 10:31 PM

another thing....

It is very hard for me to say what we spend on homeschooling because the line between life and homeschooling is very blurred. My kids like taking classes (dance, pottery, swimming etc.). They would take some if they went to school, but not as many. We would still have lots of art supplies around if they went to school, but I think that with them being gone so much of the time, things would last longer. A lot of things are like that -- memberships to zoo and museums, books, and so on.
#11 of 12 Old 08-08-2002, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is 22 months and we're going to homeschool too.

We just bought some Crayola paint, brushes, and construction paper. Total: $10 (This stuff should last at least a couple of months.

I got notebooks on sale at the grocery store. 5 spiral bound notebooks. Total: $1

A year long student membership at our local art museum. Total: $22.

If I see anything else for this year, we'll ask the collection of grandparents to make it a Christmas or birthday present.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 12 Old 08-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Banned

alixzara .... Hi neighbor, I'm in Canton too. You didn't happen to go to the Expo this week/weekend? If not try to go tomorrow (Sat 8/10/02) It is at the Galleria (cobb parkway and 285). Admission is 11 at the door. Southeast homeschool expo . the free classes are wonderful.
Have you been to any of the local stores? The Tree House in Downtown Canton is good especially for history/government and art. Home school University on Hwy 5 (south of the dairy queen, north of Butterworth Rd) is a great store. Both stores offer classes.
Have you checked out any of the groups? There are many to choose from around here depending on your beliefs and you teaching style. LLG is great. There is a link on their site for GA laws. Really all you need to do is call (or go by) the school system office downtown and pick up a free packet of info. It has all the forms you need to fill out. They will then send you your monthly attendence reports. GA is a pretty easy state to HS in. You must have them tested every 3 yrs. You can do this at home (through a testing company that deal with homeschools), through a group, or at Holly springs Elementary in the spring when the county gives the test.

Ok back ot the subject of cost ... Well you can spend from next to nothing up to several thousands of dollars. So far this yr I have spent about 1500 for grades K and 8. This includes a private school that will keep records for the 8th grader, Spanish software for both, Math manipulatives, text books and an art video program, just to mention a few thing. The only other money I could see spendign this year is for Hooked on Phonics and then the monies for field trips to local educaitonal attractions.

Please feel free to e mail me. I can help you find a group in this area that is right for you. I know of several Christian groups, nonreligious groups, and a wonderful Pagan group.

Quote:
Either
Getting my nerve up to pull DS out of school at the end of 6th grade (1+ yr ago)
or
Standing up to friends and family that think the only career DS will have is asking would you like fries with that? since he can't possibly learn anything at home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page