I just realized that I am homeschooling! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-06-2002, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always skipped this forum, because my son is in school.
But, he is not and will not be learning english there. I have always intended to teach him to read, but I never thought of that as "homeschooling". But, last week when I took out the workbooks, I realized that I AM homeschooling. My 5 year old is in school every day until 1pm, he is learning to read hebrew and studying jewish subjects. He is also learning to speak yiddish because that is the spoken language at school. He is picking up hebrew nicely as well. Eventualy I hope that all of my boys will be trilingual.

I did have a question for any of you who may know. Everything that I have read on raising kids with multiple languages seems to say that learning more languages does not make it harder for them, but a friend is telling me that I should stop doing english with him until he is reading hebrew well. What do you think?

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-06-2002, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations Belovedbird!!!!! It's nice coming to that realization
isn't it????
From everything I have heard...children can learn so many things
at one time. I say don't wait to teach English. They are like
sponges, let them soak it up!!!!!
#3 of 3 Old 07-06-2002, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so impressed that you can teach your child another language.

I would very much like to teach my children another language besides English. There are so many Spanish speaking people in this country now and even some in our family that I think it would be neat to teach them spanish.

As far as too much for your kids to handle three languages, I think it is another one of those things were you take it at your kids pace. If they feel confused or loose interest back off for a while then pick it up again later. Kids absorb so much just from seeing and being around it that many things they don't need formal teaching of.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page