Homeschooling siblings???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2002, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just begun my unschooling journey with my boys. (4 and 2)
Any suggestions you can give in dealing with the younger one
while working with the older one and vice versa???:
I try to do everything with both of them regardless of the activity but
sometimes the younger one just "gets in the way" while the older one
gets very frustrated b/c he not getting the quality time that he wants to
complete his task???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-07-2002, 02:51 AM

Sometimes you can "tone down" what you are doing and give the little guy his own to work with (ie a board version book, a puzzle that corresponds, ect) or just his own "work to do" When we do school, I have a tray with all of ds's work, I also put out a tray with stuff for dd to do- beads to string, paper and crayons to color, fine motor work like using tongs to put small objects into an ice cube tray, etc) Another thing that sometiems helps is to get the little one set up with an enjoyable toy (for my dd this is often a dollhouse) before starting with the older one. You also may want to get some special school time toys for him to use just when you are working with the older one. I also allow my dd to sit in my lap while I work with ds. It's not easy, but it sure keeps the peace sometimes.
#3 of 7 Old 07-10-2002, 12:19 AM

Time will help. Another year and it will be MUCH easier. Naptimes are good one on one times with older ones.
#4 of 7 Old 07-10-2002, 12:29 AM

Let's see...junk food, TV, threats? Just kidding! I have it a bit easier b/c my kids have siblings to stay entertained by. I do let them do things like painting and arts/crafts. I try to pay the younger ones lots of attention while my son is doing his "independent" work. That way when I need to sit down with him they are more likely to play alone for a while! Also, I often put a toy up for a week or two and pull it out at a crucial time.

Good luck!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 7 Old 07-10-2002, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We keep cheap half used workbooks and coloring books around for her to do "work" in as well as special pencils just for her.

Her favorite is math. She lines up the rods (if you use manipulatives just buy extra, they get lost anyway), counts one, do, dee, do dee, jump (which she is convinced is part of counting) and then writes her answer. It is so cute. We asl ohave some activites that she does along with her sister. All reading is done together. And that is about all we do for school. We also got her a geoboard, and some puzzles, mempry games (she loves anything with cards) and just anything that looks like school. So she feels she is a part of what is going on. She doesn't nap so dd and I never have time to do school by ourselves. Can't wait to see how this plays out with the new baby. At least she should take naps for a while.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2002, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always have "work" for my youngest too. She has coloring pages and "writing" pages she works on. She also loves playing with the math manipulatives. (We use legos as counting blocks/unifix cubes). My DH bought each a school desk at an auction last year ($5 for both). They each have their own spot where they work. This helps a lot too. Little sister feels like big sister. Take advantage of the want to be big like sibling stage.

Michelle
mom to Beth, 5 and Sam, 2
http://www.mamafed.com
http://www.nurtured.com
#7 of 7 Old 01-17-2003, 05:22 PM

Little one, 20 months, busies himself at the sink with measuering spoons, cups, pitchers, etc for hours at a time, or has his own "school books" to do while we work. He is content todowhat ever big brother is doing ( or looks similar, meaning that instead of regualr coloring books, I buy the Golden books, preschool or kindergartenbooks that have letters and numbers in it and he thinks he is doing schoolw ork along with us!!)

Best of luck, it is a difficult task to keep little one occupied!! It does get better with time.

Susan
EOD wife
MOM to Zac and LUke

User Tag List