Homeschooler's Back to School Supply List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is an offshoot to the crazy list of school supplies we see floating around.

Here is our homeschool "back to school", or "back to the couch" list:

*a couch or comfy chair

*waffles for the first day

*lots of colored pencils, markers. paints, crayons, no names on any of them.

*assorted picture books about the sky, spiders, birds, whatever your favorite subjects are.

*more books...chapter books to be read all day as desired.

*books on tape...and a tape recorder.

*membership to the science museum.

*a few fun performances lined up for the fall.

Please add your own supplies to the above list

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#2 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Awwwh, sounds like heaven! I can't wait till I can officially be homeschooling my one year old. Of course I consider ever day a learning experience! But just a little longer till I can make my own list of comfy chairs and chapter books!
#3 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 04:42 PM

My 5 yo actually LOVES the whole school idea, so we are shopping BACK TO SCHOOL SALES (and yes, all things must come from back to school sales, I emphasized that as part of the rules) for a pencil box and supplies for it: pencils, colored pencils 8 pack of CRAYOLA crayons(he is as bad as the teachers around here. They MUST be Crayolas!), a pink pearl eraser(for luck, just like Mr Quimby gave ramona), a tiny penicl sharpener, etc.
We have bought tons of paper and crayons, and lots of board games
#4 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 PM

*a fish bowl, lizard terranium, and an ant farm

*a brand spankin' new library card due to the wear and tear on the old one from last year

*a lunch bag, for all the times we'll eat our lunch in the backyard, at the park, on a field trip, in the car...

*binoculars, telescope, magnifying glass, periscope and sunglasses for the times when life is more exciting looking through a different lense.

Anything else?
#5 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How about:

a children's recipe book and a well stocked kitchen

a state parks pass, sunscreen, bug repellant,water shoes and old towels

an outdoor clothesline for hanging drying art projects, wet swim suits, or old sheets - I mean theater curtains!
#6 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 05:15 PM

State Park Pass

We have some great state parks here in TX
That reminds me I need to see what date this month I need to renew mine! Thanks Ann Marie!
#7 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Shhh! I like back to school sales as much as anyone! I can't resist .78 cent markers, pretty pencils for a dime, whether I need 'em, or not, I stock up!

Ooh, ooh, the binoculars and periscope...and FIELD GUIDES. those are the first things I packed for our vacation this year!

I will try to be better in the kitchen, too, that is a good reminder

#8 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
State Park Pass

We have some great state parks here in TX
That reminds me I need to see what date this month I need to renew mine! Thanks Ann Marie!

Don't we! This is the first year I have purchased one and it is great! Village Creek State Park (Lumberton) is only 15 min. away and now I feel like we can run over there any old time, even if we only have an hour. Plus, we've been letterboxing and they are all over the state parks.
#9 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 PM

if we're dreamin' can I add high speed internet?
My 11yo dd wants more baking supplies and her own mixer on a stand.
#10 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 PM

Plus, we've been letterboxing and they are all over the state parks."

What is this? it sounds interesting??

Have you been to INKS LAKE yet? It is awesome..
#11 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 PM

Letterboxing is SO FUN. It's like treasure hunting for free. Check out letterboxing.org for more info and clues. Here's the basics:

Letterboxes are small watertight kits (usually rubbermaid type box) containing a rubber stamp and a pad of paper. The boxes are squirreled away in public places, but not in plain view. Letterboxers have their own stamps and pads that they carry with them (just go get one or carve your own in an eraser). On the website are clues or instructions for finding hundreds of boxes all over the continent. When you find the letterbox you are seeking, you "stamp in" leaving your own stamp in the box's pad of paper and collect a stamp from the box for your own notebook.

It may sound weird, but here is why I like it:

It really is like treasure hunting ("go 40 paces to the giant pine tree surrounded by fallen logs") and my dd really gets a charge out of finding the box herself - major confidence builder.

It is rich with learning opportunities from art to geography to math to science...

Makes great excuse for pitstops when you are travelling!

I think it is so cool that there is no overarching organization regulating this, it is just random individuals who want to help each other have fun and explore.

Haven't been to Inks Lake, but it sure looks good in my guide!
#12 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 07:15 PM

going to go check the link tomorrow and learn more!
#13 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Lets see whats my back to school list:

Of course new library card (cuz well mine is worn down)
lots of crayons, pencils, and markers
craft stuff (dd loves art)
more printer paper so dd can print off worksheets she likes to do
tourism guide for the town i live in

I have more but im sick...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#14 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 09:41 PM

my partner in crime feels under the weather

cheer up
the air mattress is still waiting for you and dd...

get well soon
#15 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 PM

awww schucks... i feel the love...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#16 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ann Marie - that is the coolest thing I have ever read!! we are going to the state park for a homeshcool camping trip tomarrow. I am off to that sight to see fi we can find one. I am so pumped (I am such a nerd :LOL)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#17 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 10:55 PM

A CAR!!!!

We have been a one car family for well over a year. There is no public transportation here. Dh works weird hours and almost always has the car- Just getting to the grocery store is a major project for me. Now we are getting a second car and I get to drive the van. I am forseeing lots of trips to the park, the library, dance class, playgroup........(the grocery store.lol)
#18 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 11:12 PM

Hmm, I fully agree with the above supplies you have all listed above. We stock up on the supplies like paper, glue, ink, paint, etc all year as we need it but there are some really nice prices out right now so we will be taking advantage of that for sure.

So here are some of our supplies we will be using/getting:
~picnic basket
~world map/US map.. we need new ones badly
~DSL connection! Yay no more tying up the phone to feed our net addiction lol.
~sewing machine sometime soon
~new printer for the pc.. not sure how soon, but hopefully in the next couple months

Smiles

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#19 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 PM

I just placed an order for new "pro homeschooling" tshirts. They always go on sale for $5.99 in August through September.

Dreaming of the Amish, long table for our ever growing family to eat and color and such on.

We just read through our DK 101 Science experiment book tonight. The kids picked out some fun things to do so I have to get supplies for that.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#20 of 37 Old 08-18-2004, 11:48 PM

*hot chocolate supplies for rainy days
*bug barn
*potting soil
*clear plastic bottles (to watch roots grow!!)
*cheapo camera for a photography unit
#21 of 37 Old 08-20-2004, 04:01 PM

I need a printing pratice notebook for my 5 yo DD, and a cursive writing book for my 7 yo DS. I need to drag DH to Barnes and Noble. Also I have to buy DD's dance uniform.
#22 of 37 Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 PM

I love school supply shopping time!!!
Dd is thrilled that she learned how to write small enough for wide rule notebook paper, so she wants one for everything...reading lists, words she learns (or needs to look up if she's stuck without a dictionary).
New magazine subscriptions...National Geographic Kids and Highlights.
Glue sticks (because I'm a mean mother who hates to peel dried liquid glue off of everything)
Rolls of butcher paper

And if we're dreaming, a laminator!!!!!
#23 of 37 Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 PM

We use Calvert and I have to say that while it seems a waste to get the new supplies every year it does add to the excitement and freshness when that huge box arrives with a whole year's worth of work plus pencils, colored pencils, crayons, watercolors, protractor, compass, ruler, stacks of composition paper and plain paper, etc. It may be grossly material, and our own art supplies at home are professional quality, but it does make the readiness sort of complete. When I worked at a Waldorf school it was the same way. The teachers of grade school students insisted they have new art supplies every year, and it seemed excessive, but there's something to starting fresh like that. I love the sales because the schools start so incredibly early here in the South and we don't start til September, so we stock up on pink erasers and sharpeners and that sort of thing.
#24 of 37 Old 08-21-2004, 10:18 PM

where's chamomile tea, or a really good blender, and strawberry margarita mix??? LOL

am I the only mom here that thinks that is VIP for evenings after LONG hs days
#25 of 37 Old 08-21-2004, 11:22 PM

LOL, im with you there Vanna's Mom! I have no objections to a a mudslide or a strawberry daquiri.. or even a bottle ****** Gen draft. It's like I always ask myself: "What would Jimmy Buffet do?"

Smiles, Un

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#26 of 37 Old 08-21-2004, 11:29 PM

I'm on board for that! I miss my occasional glass of wine or mixed drink when I'm pg. It may be what I miss most :LOL

My oriental trading stuff came today. What a fun time that was. I organized it all into rubbermaids and labeled them. They're all ready to go now. The kids will be tearing into them tomorrow, I'm sure!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#27 of 37 Old 08-22-2004, 12:03 PM

Maybe a top shelf you can keep the strawberry

Dh teased me yesterday. I had to go to Target to get some underthings for ds#2 and I ended up finding some binders marked down, a combo dry erase/corkboard for DD ( which he told dd she needed a corkboard before she could put stuff up) and a dry erase board for neighbor who has lung and throat cancer and is having a hard time speaking.

DH says "you tell me you just need to get him underthings and now you are in the school supplies" ( teasing voice)

I can't help it lol
#28 of 37 Old 08-22-2004, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, we're dreaming? Here's my list...
- a good world map and a sheet of clear plastic so we can keep it on the dining room table

- an additional room for a playroom (I dream big!)

- lots of quality art supplies- stockmar watercolors, watercolor paper, wool felt, big cushy thick fingerknitting yarn, wooden doll forms and extra bright chalk for our chalkboard

- more shelves for our books!

- a Lutheran Christian ed curriculum- I'm Catholic, dh is a Lutheran pastor, and the kids are Lutheran, but we've been "doing" Image of God, a Catholic curriculum, because dh was too lazy to find one, which was the only thing I asked him to do!

- a wooden swingset/playhouse outside for "physical education"

- tools and supplies for fireplace cooking

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#29 of 37 Old 08-22-2004, 01:32 PM

oh CL I was in target yesterday too LOL I bought that electric silver pencil sharpener
and I went in there for dog food
shiny and every one is the house is drawn to it, even the neighbor girl brought her pencils over to zip, I highly reccomend sharpening pencils over and over to de-stress

annettemarie, you can try WELS Church schools curriculum which is Luther's catechism
Northwestern Publishing house Milwakee Wis edited by C. Gausewitz and for younger ones they use from Concordia Publishing house- One Hundred Bible Stories. Both of which you could prob get cheap on ebay hth Mary
#30 of 37 Old 08-22-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

:LOL Mary.

I forgot to add coffee.......nothing like the smell of morning coffee to get ya going! A little wine at night never hurt either

We were in the school supplies aisle awhile ago, and some kids and parents were fighting over which notebooks to buy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page