Montessori vs. homeschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-22-2002, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading alot lately about homeschooling, and know several people that do homeschool. But frankly, I don't really see any differences between the two other than actually going to a school vs. staying at home to learn.

Montessori offers EVERYTHING that attracts families to homeschooling. Personally, I was afraid that I would fail at being a teacher to my children. I already have enough pressure making sure I do everything right to bring them into adulthood successfully. If they grew up stupid and uneducated, that would be my fault, too. So I chose Montessori. I love it.

I think homeschoolers are wonderful people, and I believe that their children turn out educated, happy and well-rounded. I was just afraid that I could not do it.

So...I am missing something. I am very comfortable with my decision, and have no intentions on changing my mind, I'm just wanted a better understanding I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 07-22-2002, 09:55 PM

"Montessori offers EVERYTHING that attracts families to homeschooling."

Well, no.
For us, homeschooling offers freedom from peer-pressure and cliches, freedom from bullies, freedom from curriculum, freedom from testing, freedom from school schedules. All of which makes for a less stressful life.

It offers our family more time together, which allows us to know our children better and for the children to be closer to one another. It allows the children to pursue their own interests at their own pace. Their learning is self-directed and independent.

This is really just the tip of the iceberg, as I'd have to write a book to explain how very different homeschooling is from other schooling. Actually, I see it less as "schooling" and more as a life-style.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 30 Old 07-22-2002, 10:47 PM

mommy22,

I'm not really sure if I understood your post or not. It sounds liek you have found the best choice for your family, and that is great, but when it comes to family lifestyles and education I don't think there can ever one best choice for everyone.

Besides the thigns that Joan has mentioned, homeschooling offers us a choice in schedules (taking time off when we need to, not necessarily just because it's July, or sleeping in late because we need to and still not missing schoolwork), offers us 12 months to complete 9 months of work, to pursue interests every waking hour of the day if we choose, etc.

My daughter was in a Montessori preschool, and while I liekd the school, one thing that bothered me was that Montessori really doesn't encourage imaginative play, doesn't use fairy tales, etc. I felt that was a big part of childhood that was missing from the theory.
#4 of 30 Old 07-23-2002, 02:14 AM

Everything? Not by a long shot, not for my family. The 6 months ds spent in a Montessori kindergarden were by far worse than the 2 years he spent in public school. Each school is different, and it all depends on the staff, I'm glad you found a school you could trust and that works for you, but the one we tried (recommended by dozens of other parents) was so competitive, rigid, socially stratified and academically accelarated (kids were required to be writing in paragraphs by the end of K!) that my son was suicidal by March. I deeply wish I'd just sent him to ps if I was going to send him to school at all that year. We're still working out issues from that school, 3 years later, sigh.

If you want to hs in a Montessori style, then I guess you could possibly argue that there is no difference, though the simple math of 1 teacher to 15-20 kids (the school ds went to had a 1 to 8 ratio, but usually one teacher worked with 1-2 kids for short periods while another worked with the larger group. They rarely had the 1 to 8 ratio in practice) compared to 1 parent who would never be dealing with that many kids.

Montessori is still a school-style educational philosophy, and for hsers who object to a school setting of any sort, it doesn't really matter how "not quite schoolish" a school is, it's still a school. Montessori and other alternative philosophies are still dependent on the real people who teach and participate in the schools, and are subject to being distorted for the needs and goals of those people. In our case, the school had become a somewhat "prestigious" preschool (what an obscene thought that is!) and the parents involved pushed school administrators for more success, more skills, more visible bragging rights, while actively competing with other parents in birthday parties, goodie bags, and the like. While I volunteered almost daily at the school, most other parents didn't even pick up or drop off their child, and if they did, they spent most of their time at the school on their cell phones.

I knew the end was near when the school director complimented me on the fact that I could remember the names of the children, since she never could, and I could understand the 2 year olds (they took kids from 2.5 years) when no one else could. Considering the fact that she'd been doing the same job for a dozen years, and I'd been there for 3-4 hours a week for only a few months, I was pretty horrified. She even had trouble remembering the names of kids who'd been at the school for 3-4 years! There were only 50 kids in the entire program!

For some kids, like my son, no school-style works or is usefull for him. He has Tourette's (and this was NOT dealt with in any constructive manner by Montessori, they simply tried to "re-train" him of his "bad habits" behind my back), he's a gifted student, a bit of a loner, prefers to spend a large amount of time by himself reading, experimenting and exploring, and enjoys the company of his family, all of which marked him as a freak in a school setting. I'm glad that you found something that works for you, but don't presume that this applies to anyone else's situation.

Ali
#5 of 30 Old 07-23-2002, 09:44 PM

I, too, think well-done Montessori is great. Good for you for finding a good Montessori program. (Lotusmama, we used to live near a school like the one you mention...are you in Delaware by any chance?)

However, homeschooling isn't so much an educational choice as a lifestyle choice.
#6 of 30 Old 07-23-2002, 09:59 PM

I agree with the homeschooling advantages listed above. Also, it offers us freedom from homework, I don't have to take all of my kids out the door at 8 am to get one of them to school, for us, it's a lot less stress and alot cheaper. I agree that it's a personal choice and a way of life. It's certainly not for everyone, nothing is. But is has worked wonders for us!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 30 Old 07-23-2002, 10:29 PM

I agree that homeschooling and Montessori are differant in many ways. I chose not to homeschool because I work and because I felt it wouldn't be a good choice for me personally. My ds goes to a Montessori school and loves it. I agree that there is some structure, but it sure seems worlds better to me than public school. My son has not had any problems with bullies and the peer pressure so far has been minimal, or favorable. It all depends on the specific school, as not all Montessori programs, or anything else for that matter, are not created equal. I do think that for many moms, homeschooling is a great alternative. If it does not seem right for you, I would encourage you to learn more about your local Montessori school. Good luck!!
#8 of 30 Old 07-24-2002, 09:59 AM

My 5 year old and 3 year old are registered for Montessori in the Fall. My 5 year old went last year and we liked the school. I am feeling like I could teach him from home for 2.5 hours a day and she doesn't really need to go to school at 3 years old anyway. Then he can take violin lessons (he has asked to take them) and play football or soccer if he wants too, because he won't be spending 5 hours in school everyday and she can take ballet (she has asked) and ice skating lessons. I am still on the fence but am really leaning towards not sending them and trying homeschooling. I am trying to build my confidence that I can do it. I think with the money saved (tuition will be over $6000.00 for the year for the two of them), we can use that money for the extra activities like music lessons, etc. I'm still trying to convince myself that I can teach my children at home........
#9 of 30 Old 07-24-2002, 10:17 AM

Mamamax3 - It took me way too long to build the confidence of being able to homeschool. Once I took the leap I was so happy! If it's what you want to do, then give it a try. I try to take it year by year. Nothing is set in stone. I have saved so much money in tuition and I bought boxed curriculum this year for my 1st Grader and 5th Grader. Anyway, I know it's OT, I just wanted to give you a boost.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#10 of 30 Old 07-24-2002, 12:05 PM

Queen Gwen

I'm in Manitoba, but from what I've heard from other places in the country, this is a problem that Montessori schools are subject to frequently. Here in Canada, because there are still many fairly affordable private schools, mostly Christian, the parents who send their kids to Montessori have largely an academic bend, and put a lot of pressure on the schools to have visible results, ie: kids reading and writing very young.

I've learned the hard way that you have to take a really hard look at any school and spend at least a week in the classroom itself before you really know what it's like.

Ali
#11 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 12:38 AM

One difference is the $400.00 a month tutition bill. Plenty of people go through the Montessori schools and come out stupid and uneducated

Parental confidence does not equal a successful homeschooling effort or a smashing time at private school. It is parental involvement that seems to be key and the child's attitude.: that may help more.
And regardless of where your children are learning away or at home ~~YOU are the first and primary teacher always~~ and have been since their birth.
I believe the mom's sense of worth and self esteem plays a huge part in how their children learn to become 'successful'.
Please post again,
Mary
#12 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mary,

I agree 100% that parental involvement is key to success at "school", wether that is at home or away.

I also agree that parents are the child's first educator, and I take that role seriously.

My self confidence is extremely high, I just don't think I have what it takes to homeschool. I pride myself on knowing who I am and my limits. And I believe that my self-confindence rubs off on my children.

Loving your school environment is also important. Those children that do well at homeschooling obviously love it and vice versa. If a parent can find the situation that best suits the family, home or away, half the battle is done.

I spent years looking at all different kinds of schools in this area, and 'good' schools are hard to come by. I researched homeschool, and soul searched myself, and decided that it was not what was best for us.

I consider myself among the fortunate that we have found a school that works.

Tuition is surely a consideration...it has to be. Again, we are very lucky. Our Montessori is chartered, so there is no cost to us.

My position on homeschooling is go for it!!! I love the idea! And I know from my research that well homeschooled children grow into beautiful adults.

My children love their school, have no stress, no "homework", and have only 1 standardized test per year (requirment of the charter). They progress at their own speed, are grouped with other children in different "grades", work indepently, and work on what they choose (for the most part). Report cards have no grades on them. They are more of a progress report....what the child has mastered, new material introduced, what he is currently working on, etc.

I look up to parents that can successfully homeschool their children. But as terrific a mom I am, I just know that it would not have worked for us. So I felt that Montessori was the next best thing. I was mainly wondering if other homeschooling parents ever considered it as an alternative, or having their children go to Montessori when the homescooling "ends"? I also wanted others to know that they didn't have to "settle" for public school, or shell out a ton of money for private school (which alot of the time is no better than public school). If the homeschooling situation is not working, or needs to chage, Montessori, in my opinion, is the next best thing.

Hope you are well, mommy22
#13 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 03:16 AM

We're homeschooling (unschooling) for all the reasons other have listed above, and more.

In answer to your question though, if we had to send our children to school, there would be a lot of considerations. The most important consideration to me would be that my children feel safe and cared for. I guess student/faculty ratio and the overall feeling of the school fall under that. Other considerations, and by no means necessarily in this order, the curriculum, the facilities, the campus, the diversity of the faculty and student body, the cost, the location, and more. I suppose, depending on where I lived, a Montessori school could be the one, but I'll tell you that in this area, if I had to send my children to school, with many schools to choose from including both Montessori and Waldorf, my decision would probably be between the local public school, a "free" school (founded by John Taylor Gatto and similar to the Sudbury schools) that's not so close, and a warm and wonderful sounding private school that happens to be Sufi-oriented.

I am really glad your local Montessori school is working for you and your family, and I know it works for a lot of families. I also know homeschooling using Montessori methods works for a lot of families. However, for me, all the Montessori schools I have had any familiarity with (here and where I lived before) have not fit what I would want as well as some other schools. And none of those schools fit what I want half so well as unschooling does. I am absolutely thrilled that I do not have to send my children to school and that I get to stay home with them, and they are thrilled as well.

I think comparing Montessori to homeschooling is like comparing apples and oranges.

[edited for typos]
#14 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 08:45 AM

mommy22--I'm glad that you're happy with your decision. There are many homeschooling/unschooling books out there (and sites as well) that detail the philosophy behind self-directed learning.
Any book by John Holt, the unschooling.com website, or The Unschooling Handbook would be good starting places.

Your original post basically stated that, to your understanding, there was no difference between Montessori and homeschooling. It sounded, to me, like you were seeking to understand why people chose homeschooling over Montessori. Your second post sounded as if you were simply trying to inform people that Montessori was an option. I'm not sure which of these you intended, but apparently all of us who responded read your post in the same way.

I'm not trying to change your mind about the choices you've made for your children. However, a Montessori classroom is really nothing like homeschooling. Especially for those of us with an unschooling "bent" no classroom setting will be comparable to what our children are currently doing.

While I think it's admirable for Montessori to say that children are allowed to develop at their own rate, and to follow their own interests, this is limited in a classroom. It's limited by what's available in the classroom, and by time constraints and by what the teacher deems appropriate for the student(s). It's also dictated, to some extent, by the state, as each state has guidelines concerning what a student should learn and when they should learn it.

It is important to our family that our children lead their own learning, that they learn in their own way, in their own time and that they can choose from the whole world of opportunites. It's also important to us that they learn from the "real world" and that they not be in a structured, contrived setting (like a classroom in a school.) Our family time is also very important to us--my children's ages are such that they would be separated from each other for the vast majority of each day, even in a Montessori setting.

Again, I'm not trying to sway your decision and I'm glad that your children are happy in their school. It really is a mistake though to think that Montessori and homeschooling are the same thing. I hope this thread continues--it could have interesting developments.

#15 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 06:05 PM

As a teacher and a parent, I would never claim that Montessori and homeschooling are the same, but this topic struck me with its personal timeliness--our boys have gone to a Montessori parent coop this year while I had to work (dh finishing his doctorate)...but now that I will be homeschooling them for one year, I have realized that I think Montessori was like the best "prep" for hs I could have wanted. I can understand, mommy22, what you meant about Montessori being like hs in that its focus is life skills and relevant learning. I think my boys will not miss preschool at all when they stay home this fall because they never felt like preschool was any different than many of the things they did at home--baking, cleaning, books, puzzles, nature outings, sewing, art, making food and presenting it--all things you do at home and know are learning moments. I thought Montessori felt like the most natural choice when I had to work.
Interestingly I raved about this Montessori preschool before my boys started last year to my sister, who has four at home, and patiently listened and then said, "Sounds like what we do at home!" (Except she did then show her oldest dd how to make coffee!)
Oh, and at our school, which was quite strict Montessori, they still had great fantasy play outside every day--usually at the "fallen-down-tree"!
#16 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Some of the most dramatic differences include the claim Maria Montessori made regarding the value of her 'didactic apparatus' and the 'normalization' that occurs when children are institutionalised and conditioned to use her materials in ways that she found appropriate, introduced in a set schedule (like the great lessons.)
I think that it can be confusing, even to the parent of a child in traditional Montessori schools, when you feel that your child's learning is child led when actually there are a variety of sequences that must occur, that this is so VERY different from most homeschooling and different from unschooling as well.

IMHO--A child spending the day in a Montessori classroom
will have a very different education and experience then a child taught at home using Maria's materials and her method of instruction. And the vast majority of people homeschooling do not use Montessori materials or method , I know that frustration, I have had to hunt online for the last 8 years to find my group of parents doing Natural Structure at home. I do not think a child that has been homeschooled through his first 6 years would even be accepted at the majority of Montessori schools, and a child that has be 'normalised' will require intense detoxification to be able to school at home without that kind of set-up carefully arranged classroom environment. That is just my simple opinion, but based on my observations, we have homeschooled and used Montessori schools as well as public school. I agree it is like comparing apples and oranges.

If you are looking for more info on Montessori or groups of parents online that are homeschooling using the Montessori method I have a webpage with some info you may find helpful~

http://www.dbmen.com/MSinfo.htm
I wish you luck!
Mary
#17 of 30 Old 07-25-2002, 10:28 PM

When I posted I didn't intend to imply that I have low self esteem, or no confidence.....what I meant was that I didn't know if I could do it and keep my sanity. I am considering, "do I have the emotional stamina to handle three children under 5years old AND homeschool them."

I admire parents who homeschool their children, but am wondering, is it something that would work for my family.

Our Montessori school is wonderful and if I don't homeschool them, then to me, it is the next best thing.

We are still on the fence, it seems like everyday we change our mind.
#18 of 30 Old 07-26-2002, 10:49 AM

Mamax3, I'm not trying to convince you to do one over the other, but since you are on the fence, I recommend that you look into unschooling. Unschooling will take you no more energy than it takes for you to parent your 3 children. Some good places to go for information are unschooling.com and the Unschooling Handbook.
#19 of 30 Old 07-26-2002, 11:03 AM

Great site, hydrangea! Thanks. I checked it out immediately.
#20 of 30 Old 07-26-2002, 02:10 PM
kel

Quote:
I was mainly wondering if other homeschooling parents ever considered it as an alternative, or having their children go to Montessori when the homeschooling "ends"? I also wanted others to know that they didn't have to "settle" for public school, or shell out a ton of money for private school. If the homeschooling situation is not working, or needs to change, Montessori, in my opinion, is the next best thing.
I don't want to be rude, but I have a bit of a problem with the way that sounds. For one thing, for many people, including myself, homeschooling is not going to "end". It sort of bothers me that so many people assume that homeschooling is such a temporary thing, rather than the lifestyle choice that it is for so many of us.

On that note, why would I want or need to consider Montessori as an alternative to homeschooling when I chose to do what I am doing, and my kids love it and are thriving? Like another mama said, that sounds like going up to someone happily eating a tofu dog and saying, "Have you ever considered steak as an alternative?"

Like everyone else here, I'm glad that you're happy with your choice of schooling!, but it seems more appropriate to be raving about it on the alternative schooling board. Most of the people here are not interested in alternatives to homeschooling, and if they were they could go over to the alternative schooling board themselves. Personally, I feel that the homeschooling board is a place for homeschoolers to go for *support*, and for people who are genuinely interested in the possibility of homeschooling to learn more about it. I don't go over to the public or alternative schooling boards and ask people to defend their decisions, and it frustrates me when people come to this board, often under the guise of curiousity, and expect homeschoolers to defend their's.

I hope that doesn't sound rude - just trying to respond honestly.

-Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#21 of 30 Old 07-26-2002, 02:11 PM
kel

Whoa! Sorry about the crazy looking post!!!

Nevermind, I fixed it! -Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#22 of 30 Old 07-26-2002, 06:26 PM

Kelly--not to be rude either, but for some people the homeschooling does have to end or be delayed due to family circumstances. Like me, I would have rather kept my boys home this past year, but I had to work, and thus for our family Montessori was a good alternative to what we really wanted to be doing. Sometimes things aren't exactly as we want them when we want them. That is why I wrote it was timely for me and maybe it is timely for others who are trying to decide between hs and Montessori. I hope those of you who already hs will also give those of us who are new or trying to get there support as well. If someone sounds doubtful, give us your best advice or salespitch!! I feel sold on hs already but am interested in all others' experiences.

And for us there will be an "end" as homeschooling after age 7 is illegal in Sweden except for extreme cases.
#23 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 12:11 AM
kel

amsvensk-

I'm not saying that everyone homeschools forever - what I am saying is that for many, many people homeschooling, and especially unschooling, is a life choice - completely seperate from school. It just seems that a lot of people who DON'T homeschool assume that it is something that is done for a while when the kids are young, that it's a temporary thing. But for most anyone who is home/unschooling because they *just don't believe in compulsory schooling* it is far from temporary. I just don't like the assumption that I'm going to "grow out of this crazy phase" or something. That may not be what Mommy22 meant, but I have come across that from a lot of non-homeschoolers.

I think that certain aspects of Montessori are great, and I agree that its wonderful that it's available for people who don't want to homeschool, or who can't as in your case. I'm not attacking you. I'm sure there are homeschoolers here who use Montessori methods in their curriculum, or whose kids have been to Montessori schools before, or perhaps will in the future. I was just pointing out that this is a homeschooling board, and that I feel it should be a place of support for homeschooling - not a place where homeschoolers constantly have to defend homeschooling to people who don't believe in it. If a homeschooler at some point puts their child into a Montessori program for whatever reason, thats what the alternative education boards are for - so they can get information about Montessori, Waldorf, charter schools, etc. That's just my opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing the differences btwn. Montessori and homeschooling, its just the whole - tell me exactly how homeschooling is better - that I feel is unneccessary.

Kelly

#24 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

I almost regret posting a thread here. I really was just curious about the differences, trying to get a little education for myself, and the replys have been quite hostile.

I am not downing homeschool, I think it's GREAT. I just really wanted to know what the differences were. Thanks to some of the nicer reply's, I now have a much better understanding.

I understand that hs does not always 'end'. I simply know that there are times where life throws a curve, and sometimes we SAHM have to go back to work.

I can now also see how hs is indeed a lifestyle. I had never thought of it that way before.

Thanks to those of you that enlightened me, and exuse me to those who think I am in the wrong post. Since I had a legit hs question, I assumed this would be the place to post it.

I think I will stay in the alternative ed section, and other sections where the conversation is definetly much more pleasant.
#25 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 10:35 AM
kel

Mommy22 -

I'll respond once more and then leave it at that. I honestly was not trying to sound rude, I think the debate between homeschooling and school schooling is just one of those topics that people are very touchy about - on BOTH "sides". I don't know if I am the sole person you felt was being hostile or not.

The thing is, as homeschoolers, like anyone else who is not in the mainstream, many of us are constantly asked to defend our decision, or it is assumed that it's a temporary choice, or that our kids really want to go to school and we're making them stay home because of our own bad PS experiences, etc. etc. I just feel like the homeschooling boards here shouldn't be yet another place where we have to defend ourselves - which is what I felt like your posts were asking for more or less. Was I wrong? If so I apologize for any hard feelings.

Kelly

#26 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 12:54 PM

It's funny, but I've been thinking about how reserved and calm the responses on this thread have been.

I realize that one's tone on a bulletin board cannot always be heard correctly, but in all fairness, mommy22, I think people simply rose to the challenge of your initial post. You made a statement that there was no difference between Montessori and homeschooling and basically asked homeschoolers to explain why they didn't choose Montessori like you did. Even the title of your post was challenging ("vs" certainly implies battle.)

I'm surprised that the responses were not stronger.

#27 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 01:49 PM

I'd like to say that I restrained myself in earlier post. I was offended by the statement "Montessori offers EVERYTHING that attracts families to homeschooling." That is stated as a fact and not even prefaced by "I feel" or "I believe." As a matter of fact, in my opinion, Montessori offers nothing that attracts my family to homeschooling. And I don't think that I as a homeschooler would be the only one to be offended by that. What about people who consciously choose other schools other than Montessori for their children? As a matter of fact, some of what I know about Montessori's education philosophy does interest me, but it's this attitude that I have seen here and voiced in other ways by other Montessori followers, that turn me off of learning more about it. It begins to sound like a religion or a cult.

I was also offended by the statement "If they grew up stupid and uneducated, that would be my fault, too." Is this saying that homeschoolers taught by imperfect parents are going to grow up stupid and uneducated? I could forgive the "uneducated," but the "stupid" is more difficult to swallow.

I don't see anything wrong with the topic itself -- asking to clarify what homeschooling might have to offer a family who is sold on Montessori isn't wrong. However, it can be asked in a far less challenging manner.

Those were some pretty harsh statements in the original post, and I agree with Joan that it was pretty impressive how politely people responded. I think it's great, because obviously some mothers were able to learn something from the polite explanations, but that doesn't negate the tone in which the first post was written.

[edited only for typos]
#28 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 01:51 PM

Joan,
Don't you think that is because many of us have already gone through the having to explain our choice thing over and over ad nauseum IMO it is not being defensive of the choice but kind of like= enough already!
I never ever had someone I did not know come up to me and ask about how my kids like the public school??? or how I felt about it???? as much as when we started homeschooling all the kids and at times even a trip to the grocery store in the middle of the day can be like open season on hsers. KWIM??? With people just feeling free to ask stuff like ~why aren't your kids in school?
I really welcome the chance to enlighten, just as when I am nursing in public and a pregnant woman approaches me. Not that I know so much about education and child development, but to clear up misconceptions. I hope I am explaining that clearly w/o being offensive to folks.

Yes I agree momma22's initial post could be seen as not a clear ?, but she lays it out---
"But frankly, I don't really see any differences between the two other than actually going to a school vs. staying at home to learn." and says she has been reading about hsing.

I personally don't see how you could read much about homeschooling and not see some key differences immediately, but maybe SHE did not 'get' it and I think this is a great place to ask people who are hsing to clear it up.

The thing I do not understand is -----
"Montessori offers EVERYTHING that attracts families to homeschooling. " That is a general statement of opinion, not factual. And I admit makes me want to scream aloud in frustration as someone who has done both Montessori private school and homeschooled. It is a pretty bold statement and I think that she was very lucky not to get blasted for that. From that statement it is obvious she has either not really read much about homeschooling or does not clearly understand traditional Montessori teaching methods. And I think THAT is why the responses were not stronger.
#29 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanna's Mom
Joan,
Don't you think that is because many of us have already gone through the having to explain our choice thing over and over ad nauseum
I'm not sure I understand what you mean--I hope it didn't sound like I was defending the tone of the "questions" as I was not--I agree with your feeling of "enough already" and with Hydrangea--I too took offense.

I also agree with you about sharing info but my response to people who ask questions about my choices varies greatly depending on if the questioner has an "I'm interested in something..." approach or if she/he is more confrontational.

I guess my observation about the replies comes from this: I've recently been told that I put people off with my bluntness and with the fierceness of some of my beliefs (imagine!) I've tried to temper that. I'm impressed by people who can pull off the whole "you can catch more flies with honey" thing. So, when I'm sitting here steaming, I'm impressed by people who can type out long, intelligent, calm, informative responses. I'm more the "How DARE you!?" type.

#30 of 30 Old 07-27-2002, 04:56 PM

Sorry about that, I meant my post to contain your comment that you were suprised about the responses were not stronger. Sheesh
You know these mothering boards are very nice, I have found majority of people very respectful.
I spent this afternoon thinking about homeschooling and if people who are homeschooling should be doing more if possible to educate the general public about some of the misconceptions.
OT One of the reasons that I encourage and am happy to answer ?s about breastfeeding, is that I can see that if a mom is persuaded to try it, even for a little while, there can be a positive impact on my own children just from the environmental standpoint.
Seems like if more people understood homeschooling in general, it would be accepted more as a 'normal' choice, not the alternative choice when all else fails. And that would have a positive impact on my kids, if our extended family could see it in that kind of way portrayed in the news and events around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page