OK, here it goes... Big secret to get off my chest... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have nothing to lose anymore here so here it goes.

I do NOT have a high school diploma. I did NOT graduate high school, yet I am going to home school my children. I am going to home school my girls because the moment they were born my instinct took over and has changed my life in ways I cannot even describe. Homeschooling them has been a very passionate decision my dh and I both share. I feel it in my gut. It is the best decision for us right now.

They are near 4 so we are starting before 5 in a row, some math and simple phonics. I can do this part but what about the furure? I am NOT qualified to do this! Am I????

I did not graduate high school because at 16 I was forced from my home (one of many but this time permantly) and was living on my own in an apartment. Iwent to grade 11 and the morning from 8:05 am until 12:00. I has to be at work by 1:00 and I would work until 9, 10 or 11.I was working with my dream job and passion and worked hard to get my licence. I also had another job on the weekends to make ends meet. near the end of grade 12, I was offered a job in one of the most desirable places in my field. I had to choose launching an early career in my passion over finishing high school. I was short 10 credits. I chose my career and I had never regretted it, I only wish I felt more qualified to be my children's teacher.

So there you go. It's out. Now you know. AN dnow hopefully some of you will tell me to either get my girls in school for thier own sake, or to keep going and somewhere along the way get my G.E.D.

I am now going to force myself to hit the submit button. With out checking for errors I might add cuz I may loose my gumption!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 08:15 AM

2 Charmaty.

I do not think a parent needs higher education in order to hs their kids. They need love, concern for their kids and some attention to how their kids learn. Think of all the people who graduated high school, but skipped most of it. You obviously had a strong passion for your career, and that is very admirable.

We give what we have, and you obviously have a lot to offer!

Good luck, and know that we are all learning beside our children.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmarty
I do NOT have a high school diploma. I did NOT graduate high school, yet I am going to home school my children.
Okay by me.

Quote:
I can do this part but what about the furure? I am NOT qualified to do this! Am I????
"This part" is the only important part. Take it one day (or one year, if you like) at a time. When your kids' skills surpass yours you can then proudly look for a mentor for them in that area...or not. My kids know more about some stuff than I do--not because I'm dumb, but because their interests are different from mine and they've run with them. It's okay--my neighbors and friends know more about some things than I do, and I know more about other things than they do. Even school teachers don't know everything.

Quote:
I was working with my dream job and passion and worked hard to get my licence...I was offered a job in one of the most desirable places in my field. I had to choose launching an early career in my passion over finishing high school. I was short 10 credits. I chose my career and I had never regretted it, I only wish I felt more qualified to be my children's teacher.
Did you know that colleges and universities give credit for life experience? I have a friend who didn't finish high school--she now has a PhD. I have a high school diploma and a couple of college degrees, but I'm in no way "qualified" to teach some things (algebra being one of them.) There are lots of options if my kids need to learn it though--I could learn with them, they could take a class, we could find a tutor, or they could teach themselves. A high school diploma doesn't make one qualified for anything, imo.

If the GED is important to you, then go take the test if it'll make you feel better. But I think you'll be just fine without it. Like Mom4tot said, we all learn alongside our kids.

I'd guess most people go through life having never had their dream job--do you really think that reading a textbook, filling out some dittos and taking a multiple-choice test at the end is more worthwhile than "launching an early career in [your] passion?"

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#4 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 09:52 AM

A high school diploma is a piece of paper that often doesn't mean anything.
When you homeschool you're not simply sharing what YOU know- you are also helping your children learn how to look for even more information and, if necessary, other mentors/teachers.
((hugs))

For your own peace of mind, consider getting your GED- maybe sooner rather than later, so you can relax.
#5 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM

go read "The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education"...
#6 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 10:08 AM

So what's you secret??? You love your children and want the best for them?

Coming from somone who dreaded school, that piece of paper just represents that you endured 4 years of endless assignments, people you did not associate with in the future, and 4 years of non-acceptance, since I wan't what I was supposed to be.

Something tells me you have learned more in your years out of school than you did in school. This knowledge will come in handy since you have lived a life.

As others have said you will learn alongside your children. You don't need your GED unless you want it (do you?). In my state you don't even have to have a high school degree to teach your children all you have to do is: "provide a program of study or curriculum which, in the judgment of the division superintendent, includes the standards of learning objectives adopted by the Board of Education in language art and math".

Long story short, you are very qualified. You love your children, you want what is best for them, and you will do what is best for them. And that my friend is what makes you qualified IMO, to teach your children.
#7 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 10:31 AM

I don't either! s I do have a ged and I do feel qualified to homeschool most of the time. Yes I have my doubts once in awhile but it will all work out .
#8 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 10:34 AM

I graduated last spring with an el. ed. degree. As someone that doesn't always see the "brilliance" in myself that others do, I had to really buckle down and force myself to finish. meanwhile, boy child suffered horrendously through first-fourth grade... So, here I am now, ready to report for duty and I am having a baby in the next 24-48 hours. My friends are all calling about their new jobs but most irritating is a job that keeps offering itself to me. As the class sizes were larger than anticpated, Each friend that had this job gets a classroom and the original is open.
Well, it is open now and I have a half a mind to call and say I'll be available. The long and short of that is.....aside from leaving a wee one and babysitting issues, is that I cannot pass the math test for licensing!!! So, you see I really was too dumb for this under taking. And I should let that chapter go and raise babies!!! Right?
#9 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nothing but support here! I say yea for you for following your gut in parenting! As for doubts, I suspect we all have them from time to time regardless of education level.

Good luck and good vibes!
#10 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 11:28 AM

You are more than qualified, mama! You are interested, engaged and dedicated and, for that reason alone if for no other, you are qualified and will do a great job. You've got your babes started out right and have selected truly wonderful materials to help guide your initial steps.

And, truth be told, most homeschoolers I know learn more in the process of educated their kids than they ever learned in school. And here's a confession of my own: I have two master's degrees, as does my husband. These credentials have in no way prepared us for homeschooling. They are useful in their own way, but have nothing to do with our ability to educate our own children. Some states have regs encouraging only degreed parents to homeschool and, for the life of me, I have no idea why.

You will do fine, I promise. Stay confident and engaged and your kids will respond!
#11 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM

#12 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 12:47 PM

My mother did not graduate HS and she home schooled me for a large part of my school life. She did a fine job. I tested with a Genius IQ at age 7 (not sure that is still the case LOL). I was a Presidental Academic Fitness Award winner in the 8th grade. I am now in a private college and have a 3.8 GPA.

There were areas she had trouble in (Math & Science) when it came to teaching, but she found other moms to help at times. Most of the time, the fact she had really taught me to love to read made up for her lack, because I could read about it, and usualy get the info I needed.
#13 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I left school at the start of my sophmore year. I had a new baby, and he was far more important to me than typing class lol. I got my GED eventually, and I have no highschool diploma. It doesn't matter much though. Part of the beauty of homeschooling it that you can learn along side your children. If the knowledge is out there for them, it's also out there for you! Smiles

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#14 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 05:09 PM

You know, I never finished high school either. I did later get a ged, what a joke! I took the test at 18, and would have had a much higher score had I taken it at 13, directly out of 8th grade, that's the level it was at. My son is not yet a year old but we definitely plan to homeschool. No, my husband didn't finish high school either.

I see a lot of people like us, like you and me and some other posters here, who did not do well or finish high school, may or may not have gone on to college, who are very determined to homeschool their own children.

I think it's like this-obviously, public schooling did not meet our needs! SO why would we do that to our kids? Doesn't every generation want better for their children than they had themselves?

You are the most qualified person on this planet to help your kids get the education they want, need, and deserve. Nobody better knows their temperment, their learning styles, their interests, better than you. You don't need to know everything in order to teach them! Even 'official' teachers have an answer book. All you need is the ability to help them find what they're looking for and you'll do just fine. Far better in fact than any one teacher with a classroom to run who can't do special trips to an obscure museum because your kid has an interest, can't taylor things to each individuals level and interest.

I second reading the teenage liberation handbook, it's great.
#15 of 44 Old 09-10-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Other than the most asked question of " what about socilaization?" The second best question I get from family and friends is " Don't you need some kind of education for that?"
I have the answer to the first ? down to a fine art. It was the second ? that wore me down.

Thanks to all of you wonderfully supptive ppl who are all campassionate and understanding in helping me sort through this.
Unschoolinma, SarahNH and other's who feel like the diploma isn't what it really takes to HS our precious children and are proving it I say you go! I am proud of you! And I want to feel proud of me too. I AM proud of my acclomplishments and all I have endured in life. I have had a hard life which has taugh me many many life lessons that I would otherwise not have experienced. And this has gotten me life wise.

Like I have said in a pm, I am still a little worried the message it will send to my girls whem they are entering the High school age, but I think I will cross that bridge when I get there. Until then I will just keep on having the HS hills and vallies that I am sure we all have.

Hey~ NancyJ don't be so hard on your self K? Now pop back in here to let us know if you had a baby girl or boy!!!!!!

Lovemylittles~ I will read it!Thanks!!

Joan~ I really liked your post. And you know I did not know you can get credits for life experience. Heck I could be a doctor!!!!!!!!I wounder if I could just pass University and a masters just on life alone?:LOL!
Thanks!
mom4tot~

So I CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!

Geesh! Looking back my reply has a hint of an afterschool Soecial tone to it!Sorry abou tthat.
#16 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I left high school in the tenth grade and I am going to be home educating our kids. I think the less time that you spend in a school environment the better. Also, having a high school diploma isn't that much of an accomplishment when dh's cousin graduated without learning how to read.

You will do great teaching your kids. Just try not to get sucked into the school mentality. Make learning a part of everyday life.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#17 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 04:49 PM

My SIL did not graduate hs and homeschooled her 5 kids, 4 of whom have now "graduated."

I did complete hs and college, but no way do I know everything I need to know to teach my kids. What I don't know, we can look up in a book, online, at a class we pay for, from another person (adult or teen), at a museum, in nature, or even catch on TV, a video, or at the movies.
#18 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 04:55 PM

You don't need to be a genius or have a bunch of degrees to help others learn. I've never taken a calculus class in my life but I used to tutor calculus.

Do some research and try to find a nice curriculum or home schooling model that speaks to you. Then you can guide your children through it as they learn.

My husband wants to homeschool our children but I'm ambivalent. I enjoyed being homeschooled as a child but my siblings floundered. I will base my decision on my children and how they are adjusting to the situation (since I will probably be the one taking the responsibility for homeschooling if we choose to do so). Like one poster said, one day/week/year at a time.

I actually think my son would enjoy a group activity away from me. He does much better at gymnastics when I'm not around. So does my daughter, actually. I feel kind of unneccessary. I don't think homeschooling precludes out of the home activities though.
My children can still do after school activities like gymnastics and other types of things. I know my son really has an interest in musical instruments and my daughter loves to dance. I need to help them develop those interests and I can't play a musical instrument or dance. We just make it up as we go along for now. It's not like there are dance classes for 2 year olds without mom anyway. Or musical instrument lessons for 3 year olds who aren't quite potty trained.
#19 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 05:06 PM

I also didn't finish high school. I went very sporadically when my father got ill and when he died, I quit altogether. Circumstances at the time were such that it would have been very difficult for me to keep attending, so I dropped out mid-way through my senior year.

I still haven't taken my GED yet, though I have no doubt I will pass it. I just haven't had to for any reason.

We plan to homeschool or unschool our children (haven't decided which) and although I understand your reservations about feeling "qualified", IMO the hs diploma doesn't make you any more or less intelligent, well-read, or creative. You will do fine - and you already have diverse life experience to draw from that your kids will undoubtedly benefit from!
#20 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 PM

(((Charm)))
I'm glad you came to the right decision!!! Way to go sistah!
#21 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 06:04 PM

I think what you are doing is great! I missed the last month of high school due to extreme morning sickness. So now I am not an "official high school graduate" oh well, I don't feel inferior to other people. If you feel like getting a ged, go ahead. If you don't, it wouldn't make any difference as far as being qualified to teach your children. All you need to do is help them learn. There is also a school that will give you a diploma, I think it is called North American Regional School you may want to look into it. They truly do give you some credit based on your life experiences. Or, just study what interests you, along with your children, they should be inspired by your desire to learn more, that piece of paper is so insignifigant.
#22 of 44 Old 09-12-2004, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What exactly do you think you would have learned in those last 10 credits of high school that would make you more qualified to teach your children?
#23 of 44 Old 09-13-2004, 01:22 AM

If anything your lack of a high school diploma indicates you understand the value of self-education. And some carry the misconception that a GED is somehow not as good as a diploma from a school in terms of getting into college, which is nonsense. I have a friend who dropped out, did other things that were obviously more important to him at the time, and is now at Columbia while working for a major tv network. So a GED hasn't hindered him in the least. And Peter Jennings never finished high school, and Quentin Tarantino never went in the first place- he finished eighth grade.
#24 of 44 Old 09-13-2004, 01:25 AM

Based on your original post, you are more articulate with a larger vocabulary and better critical thinking skills than most high school graduates in the USA.

A century ago, the main requirement for teaching a given grade was having completed that grade. Remember Laura Ingalls? So you're good to go at least until high school, and there are so many options for a teenager to self-educate at that level that you'll mostly just need to make sure they're motivated, progressing, and challenged, none of which requires intimate knowledge of the subjects they're studying.

Go for it!!!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#25 of 44 Old 09-16-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas

Your support and kind words make a difference

I am PROUD to announce that we have begun our homeschooling journey. Fueled by the love for my children, as I am positive is your fuel too.
#26 of 44 Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmarty
I am NOT qualified to do this! Am I????
Hi!

The last time I answered a post like this I got into trouble, because (thinking I would make the mama :LOL) I said "buy a fake diploma and put it on the wall."

So I won't say that to you-- but honey, it really IS just a piece of paper. I know soooooooo many people with fancy degrees and they are serious dumb-dumbs. You obviously are not a dumb-dumb.

The best advice I ever heard was: "If you can read, you can homeschool your kids." It's true! But I would add "If your patient and..." to the beginning of that.

Plus, it helps to really LIKE your kids, since they'll be around you most of the day.

So I say, "Don't worry about it."
#27 of 44 Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM

So what makes you think that you are any less intelligent or resourceful than someone employed as a teacher in a school? Who would have your childrens' best interests any closer to the forefront than you?

You have nothing to confess 2 Lucky kids!
#28 of 44 Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You sound like you have gained a LOT of life experience to pass on to your children, and that's worth more than any degree or diploma. I know a lot of highly educated people who have no common sense at all.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#29 of 44 Old 09-16-2004, 08:09 PM

Hey. I have not read all the posts, I need to get Joe in the tub, but I wanted to say one thing to you:

You are AWESOME & completely qualified to homeschool your kids.

If you wanna get your GED in the future, go for it. I am so glad you shared your story with us!

Love, Jenny
#30 of 44 Old 09-18-2004, 10:07 PM

Hi There! Sheri here, homeschooling Mom to a five year old Autistic daughter.

I quit school four credits short and within 3 years I was running the company that I had quit school to work for. I had 28 men who had to answer to me, and every cheque written had to be approved and signed by me.

School is not everything, learning is, if you know how to learn, then you know how to teach!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page