Homeschooling robs children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://homeschooling.about.com/gi/dy...91204052.shtml

All I have to say is what a bloody moron!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm speechless.

This is for Margaret She obviously doesn't know anything about homeschooling. She definately has some issues. Before I go I'll just say :. She's a misinformed, angry, mean spirited
#3 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM

Quote:
There are other losses, such as never being "on the team," never cheering for "our school," never being in a class where the interaction of ideas is more important than the text, or doing any of the myriad of things that make up the process of "belonging," from the first day of school to the 50th class reunion. There is far more to an education than a curriculum -- it includes summer break, Friday nights and graduation.

Am I the only one who had a really crappy experience in school? You couldn't PAY me to attend any of my reunions. I also remember pep rallies as being a dehumanizing experience... like I was being programmed to give cheers robotically for something I cared very little about.

Quote:
A recent Harvard study following home-schooled children over many years found that these children did not do better at the college level than traditionally educated children.

What Harvard study? Did the children do worse, or the same as their traditionally schooled peers? Because as long as it's about the same, what's the big deal?
#4 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 06:24 PM

i second that remark by heavenly!

i vividly remember my school experience. couldn't pay me to do it again. if you aren't in the in crowd, or on the football team or a cheer leader, or wear the latest fashions, forget it, your life is over!

i do admit there are some schools out there that have their stuff together, but it is a rare site. i personally worked in a school for 3 years in AZ. that experience is what made me to decide that when i do have children, i will not be subjecting them to the "system"

and now that i have a child, my feelings are even more stronger!
#5 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I find it strange that we send our young men and women to help assure that children can go to school in Afghanistan, yet we allow parents in Michigan to keep their children at home.
That is illogical. What does some parents chosing to homeschool have to do with children in other countries being prevented from going to school. It's not like homeschoolers want to deny public education to people who want it.

Quote:
One of the best and brightest moves that our Founding Fathers made was to make it possible for all children in America, not just the rich, to be educated.
She needs a history lesson. The Founding Fathers had nothing to do with the institution of public schools. Thomas Jefferson tried to get a public school system started, but he was unable to succeed.

Quote:
Many a child of abusive parents has an observant teacher to thank for a rescue, some for their very lives. To whom can these children turn when they are kept at home?
It isn't fair to link homeschooling families with notions of abuse. Occurrence of child abuse has nothing to do with whether the family homeschools. And if teachers are such a super safe-guard against abuse, then why are so many American children the victims of child abuse?

Quote:
If parents wish to be involved in the education of their children, there are many opportunities to be part of the school day. Volunteer to be a lunch or recess monitor.
Is she serious? Yeah, I'll work as a *lunch monitor* and that'll solve all the problems associated with public schools.
#6 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 06:46 PM

Thats all I can say about that right now!

Jennifer

Super Crunchy natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-Circing, non vaxxing cloth diapering, Student midwife and Mama to Hannah 14 Abby 9 and Liam 1
#7 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The role of a parent is vital in a child's education. However, without all four of the pillars provided by home, school, church and community working together, we have a precarious foundation for the next generation. The public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America. We need to cherish it and nurture it.
So, I guess we'll all be at church on Sunday, too, then, so as to allow for all four pillars, huh?

Quote:
All I have to say is what a bloody moron!
Most definitely! What a loon.

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#8 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:02 PM

That's sick. Where were my saviours?? What a crock of %^$#

Sorry.

I am gonna go find my life now. :LOL

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#9 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Well, I'm sure she is a "star product" of the public school system. Why would I want to send my child to a school that isn't able to recieve the kind of funding which would ensure my child would get the kind of attention he needs? My brother could not read until he was in the third grade because the teachers simply had too many students to devote very much time with him and my mother just blindly trusted the public school systems. My child's education is *very* important to me, that's why I am determined to devote however much time he needs to get that education.

I guess according to her, if my child doesn't attend church, they are automatically immoral, horrible human beings.

Public school may be the right answer for some families. It's not for mine. And, I'm not being selfish in choosing to homeschool. I'm taking a vested interest in my child's future. My right as a mother!
#10 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Yep, I hs to boost my ego.

The author said, "There is far more to an education than a curriculum." ...which is why many hs'ers don't use one!

If my kids are so deprived, then how come every single one of their school friends tells them how lucky they are to be able to hs? Mine have the option of going to school if they want, but guess what...?
#11 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Quote:
However, without all four of the pillars provided by home, school, church and community working together, we have a precarious foundation for the next generation.
Wow, as atheists and homeschoolers, my children are doubly doomed! Oh well, too late now. They're just too freaky to fit in anywhere ever for the rest of their lives! Might as well torture them by keeping them homeschooled.
#12 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:22 PM

:

Oh, it must be nice to be confident enough to put your ignorance on display like that. Or is that ignorant enough to put your confidence on display?

Quote:
never being in a class where the interaction of ideas is more important than the text
Yup, I want to waste 50 hours for that maybe 10 mintutes where I can voice my *ideas* rather than follow a text INSTEAD of being in a situation where ideas are (almost) always more important than a text.

Quote:
There is far more to an education than a curriculum -- it includes summer break, Friday nights and graduation.
That's an arguement *for* schooling? All of those things are celebrations of GETTING AWAY FROM traditional schooling. Hmmm, think I'll go hit myself in the head with a hammer for a while so I can celebrate when it stops.

Quote:
A recent Harvard study following home-schooled children over many years found that these children did not do better at the college level than traditionally educated children.
So they performed the same *academically*? (or not statistically signicantly better?) How about their self-esteem, how about their resourcefullness, their drive, their ability to communicate with all people (not just ones of the exact same age and approximate socio-economic group)? How about a citation, or do they not teach that concept in school?

Quote:
The public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America.
Is *that* what they teach? Hmmm, I thought it was the Constitution. Shows how the schools have failed me, I guess!

#13 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:35 PM

Stop Tired, stop!!

#14 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 PM

It's ppl like that that perpetuate the myths of homeschooling. Cuz this lady obviously doesn't know what the fudge she is talking about.

I am livid from reading that article. Angry at her pure ignorance and at the arrogance with which she spouts it.

Though Tiredx2, your post helped some. :LOL

Kylix
#15 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:51 PM

A person on one of my e-mail lists Googled, and found this article on Harvard and homeschooling:
http://larknews.com/september15_2003...ary.php?page=1

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#16 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
A person on one of my e-mail lists Googled, and found this article on Harvard and homeschooling:
Lark News is satirical, like the Landover Baptist site. It's not a real news source.
#17 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
article on Harvard and homeschooling:
: That is ridiculous. I don't want my kids to "fit in" by being able to have 'meaningless conversation' (not exact quote) 'jumping in the sac.' What are they thinking?

It so depends on the kid and not the way they're being schooled. My 6 yo is not shy but a bit more reserved. My 3 1/2 yo is such a little social butterfly.

Oh, and we're not an all white, evangelistic family either.

What's with all the negativity in the media WRT Homeschooling? :
#18 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause
Lark News is satirical, like the Landover Baptist site. It's not a real news source.
So none of that is true about Harvard then? Thank goodness!
#19 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:06 PM

I was believing that article until I got to:

Quote:
The most daring component pushes homeschoolers to experiment sexually.
"It's pretty well known that Harvard, like most secular colleges, wants kids to have intercourse by sophomore year, to get a feel of what life's about," says Kushner. "Homeschoolers are much slower to catch on to what their sub-culture deems sinful activity, and that puts them at a social disadvantage. To put it bluntly, they need to loosen up and hop in the sack."
Hey, no wonder so many homeschooled kids want to go to Harvard! :LOL

#20 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:10 PM

The public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America.

:

Heh. Woo! <wiping tears from my eyes>

Public-schooled children have no say in what kind of education they are forced to receive, or how their time is spent. There is nothing even remotely democratic about our school system, so how exactly can it be the cornerstone of democracy?
#21 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Hey, no wonder so many homeschooled kids want to go to Harvard! :LOL
:LOL Reading it again I'm cracking up. I was just so riled up after that other article. : Now that other one really should be a joke. :

I was a little : the first time I read it and thought, "well, at least they're admitting that homeschooled kids are geniuses!" :LOL
#22 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 08:20 PM

Jeez, I don't have my ego invested in being "everything" to my child, but if it comes to a choice I'd rather be everything than have his peer group be everything. (Yep, the guys who commented on his Winnie the Pooh lunchbox in pre-school. : )
#23 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who the heck is this lady? I mean, I see that she is Margaret "Peggy" whatever but is this a letter to the editor, do people pay her to write this crap, or what? This was one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Too annoyed to say anything else
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#24 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 10:40 PM

"Peggy" will freak out when she finds out many homeschooled children aren't attending church either!

"Peggy" obviously doesn't know what she is talking about.
#25 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 PM

I am just now picking my jaw up off of the ground after reading the Harvard article. :

Then I saw further posts saying that it is a joke. Thank Heavens!

#26 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 11:05 PM

:LOL Joan
#27 of 54 Old 09-14-2004, 11:12 PM

What Harvard article?

Also anyone else use to skip pep rallies to get high?
#28 of 54 Old 09-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Dar

I did.

This woman clearly knows nothing about the history of education in America, either. She writes "One of the best and brightest moves that our Founding Fathers made was to make it possible for all children in America, not just the rich, to be educated" but the Founding Fathers did nothing at all regarding public education, and most of them were fully or partially homeschooled. Compulsory education is a result of the industrial revolution, not democracy or the founding fathers.

The idea that learning can only be achieved through instruction by a trained teacher would be considered laughable by most of these Founding Fathers.

The author still seems to think of homeschoolers as social rejects locked in a closet. My daughter spent 3 hours today hanging at the park with friends, then an hour and a half at ballet, then 3 hours at rehearsal. I did feed her in between... but she met a hugely diverse group of people, was not under my "control", and felt like a part of three distinct groups. Meanwhile, I lived my life, thankyouverymuch...

And it is *very* unprofesional to mention a study in an article withour specific cites that would allow the reader to find the study.

What a maroon. Anyone want to write a letter to the editor? Especially someone living in Michigan...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#29 of 54 Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily
She needs a history lesson. The Founding Fathers had nothing to do with the institution of public schools. Thomas Jefferson tried to get a public school system started, but he was unable to succeed.
True! And then it's worth noting that even though Jefferson was a big supporter of public education, he was against compulsory attendance. He just strongly believed that the option should be there for those who want it.

Ms. Boyce is obviously one of those sheeple who can't imagine a life not regulated and monitored by Big Brother. Sad, isn't it?

FWIW, I've seen this article posted on half-a-dozen or more homeschooling boards, and everyone is outraged. I'm hoping someone less lazy than me will write a rebuttal to this piece of swill.
#30 of 54 Old 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Or write to Ms. Boyce, herself?

Look what SuperPages turned up:

Peggy Boyce
275 North St
Saugatuck, MI 49453

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page