tips for teaching letter writing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds who is 4 1/2 has really become interested in learning how to write. What tips can you give me on the best way to teach him? Should I teach both upper and lower case at the same time or just one at a time? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids went for it with both upper and lower case at once. We made flashcards that featured both for them. My daughter loved to write letters to people! The grandparents, and other friends and relatives got alot of practice letters in the mail lol. We enjoyed writing letters in sand, in pudding on wax paper, and in finger paint too. (Tactile learning) Art can be a terrific way to get the writing flow going. You can show a picture of someone/something/somewhere and the young writer can write down what he "gets" from that pic. It can be silly or a poem or a story..etc. Have fun writing!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 PM

The generally accepted practice is upper and then lower, but there have been agruements against this lately. If was orriginally believed that the upper case letters are larger, easier to draw and to differentiate. Now people are saying that they acctually see lower case more often and are a more practical start. Truthfully, I am kind of with the previous poster that doing both makes sense. Although possibly a little confusing at first, I think it is more practical. You would just have to work on her understanding d and D represent the same sound, but she would have to do that at somepoint if you did them one at a time too.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:07 AM

I use HWOT. My son had motor skills issue when I discover it. I have use this program to teach him and his older sister. His younger one is picking it up.

It teaches capital letters first. My children had a harder time with lower case letters.

User Tag List