Question for you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
As individual boards Early Childhood Education, Public Schooling, Alternative Education, and Homeschooling get a small amount of posting. A suggestion has been made to combine all of the education boards into one lump Education board, the hope being that this might encourage more discussion and mutual posting amongst those who normally frequent just one of the boards.

I'd like to hear your feelings about this. Does it sound like a good idea? Or not?

#2 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Mosher
Does it sound like a good idea? Or not?
Not.

Personally, I don't see why "Early Childhood Education" couldn't be included in any of those groups, rather than be a separate board, but I think Hsing and Psing need to be separate boards.

Then again, it depends on the goal--if debate is what is wanted, then putting hsing and psing together would lead to that. If support, discussion, and info amoung like-minded people is what is wanted, then I think separate spaces would be needed.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 09:27 AM

I have to agree with Joan.
#4 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 10:12 AM
kel

I agree with Joan, too.

I don't know about the other boards you mentioned, but I think homeschooling definitely should have it's own board - I think there are plenty of posts here!

Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#5 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 10:28 AM

I agree with the others- I would hate for this to become a place for debate rather than support. I'm sure once "aschool" starts again soon the posting will increase. You have to assume that posting will be low during the summer months.
#6 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 10:43 AM

I agree, I think lumping us all together will lead to debates. We all feel so passionately abt our choices. Its nice to have a space to come to with like minded people.
#7 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 12:14 PM

I agree with the other ladies, I would like to homeschooling kept in a forum by itself. Thanks for asking!

~Jill
#8 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 12:55 PM

I agree with Joan too!
#9 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 03:37 PM

I agree with all the other ladies who've posted so far. PS and HS are two totally different choices. I don't think it would lead to very many constructive discussions and debates.

Ali
#10 of 17 Old 08-03-2002, 06:29 PM

I totally agree about NOT lumping Homeschooling with Public schooling! I made the mistake ONLY one time of ever posting on a debate board and it was my last time LOL
I took a look at how many posts there was on the different educational threads and there was close to 4X more posts here in Homeschooling than there was in Public School so the posts are not lacking here! I feel if you lump PS and HS together you are going to cut down the amount of Homeschoolers that post because its true no matter how good our reasons are for Homeschooling they are not good enough for most those that send their children to Public School and quite frankly I do not care to hear anymore why they think they are right and we are wrong! I have never told those that give their reasons for sending their kids to public school that those reasons were wrong (even if I thought it lol) but most wont hesitate for a minute to tell us our reasons are not good enough or are wrong! No thanks I do not care to reply to posts that have PS mixed with HS
If there was MORE PS parents that were atleast acceptive to our reasons and understood we do what we feel is best for our kids, too, then I woudnt mind but thats not the way it is for the most part!!
#11 of 17 Old 08-04-2002, 05:54 PM

I would rather see the ECE with the public school board.
Please, PLease do not lump this homeschool board with the others, this is the only one online I could find that fit me and my needs.
And I read the ece, alternative ed and ps boards and have answered ?s there. I find some of the things there very sad and would like to have the choice not to read through those posts KWIM??
Mary
#12 of 17 Old 08-04-2002, 05:56 PM

I, too, vote to keep HS separate.
#13 of 17 Old 08-04-2002, 08:10 PM

maybe you could combine public school and alternative schools together, so many public districts have alternative choices and people who choose one or the other may benifit from the experiences of both groups of people. Maybe you could call the boards "learning at home" and "learning in schools" which would show the distinction between the groups, but not pigeonhole anyone into one board or the other. For example homeschoolers using a public charter program might have issues pertinant to "learning in schools" while public school families who supplement their children's education could share in "learning at home"

does that make sense?
#14 of 17 Old 08-04-2002, 08:16 PM

I vote that we keep the boards seperate. At least keeping PS and HS seperate. I get enough debate about that in real life. I like to come here for support. I'm afraid the debates would get ugly and defeat the purpose of this board. (and the PS board too)

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-05-2002, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Yes, PS and HS are likely to clash more than occasionally on a joint board and adversarial debate is not our intention. So I think priority numero uno is to have at least 2 separate boards - one for PS one for HS.

rsps I like your suggestion and I like the titles too!

I'll talk it over with Peggy O and then let you know what we decide.

Thanks so much!

#16 of 17 Old 08-06-2002, 03:42 AM

How about just two forums?

-Alternative Education
-Public Education
#17 of 17 Old 08-06-2002, 11:09 AM

I really like the homeschooling board as it is. I think that there are plenty of posts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page