Mothering Forum banner

Is this a waste of money

779 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MarineWife 
#1 ·
My 13yo ds answered the phone the other day and it was someone from a talent agency making random phone calls to recruit people. He got excited about it so I said I would take him. However, I told him that if it was a scam where they get you in there and then tell you that you need to get a portfolio and take classes for this much money and they'd be happy to do it all for you, we probably wouldn't do it. I've been through that before. I asked the girl on the phone if that's what she was doing and she assured me she wasn't. So, we went, had an interview and ds did a little camera screening thing where he had to read from a commercial script. They gave me a pamphlet to read and told me to call back on Tuesday to see if we made the call back list. I looked through the pamphlet when I got home and, after you get through all the hype in the first 7 or 8 pages, you get to the page about taking their workshops, which will cost at least $2000. And, of course, there is no gaurantee that anyone will get a job modeling or in a commercial or anything like that.

My ds is really excited about it. He's always been interested in performing. He won't, however, get involved in any of the local teen theatre groups here. He says he doesn't want to do theatre, only TV. So, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay for my ds to take some of these workshops because he's interested and for his own personal growth regardless of whether he actually gets any work. $2000 is much cheaper than private school, but it is still a lot of money. What do you all think? I've been waiting and wishing for him to find something that he wants to do. Is it worth it even if it is a scam?

See less See more
#2 ·
there are acting workshops and junior theatre programs are that are a LOT cheaper

your ds likes the idea of TV, does he like film?? My older ds made a film with a group over summer in the SOFT program in so cal, he is a certified producer with public tlevision. Check locally with your public tv to see if they offer training and then he could get on air experience free that way one hs group I belong to is auditioning kids for parts right now http://www.kidzhistory.com/ is their site for last film they did I beielve I have contact info if you are anywhere near me to help your ds PLMK by pming also Dar's dd isn't she doing soemthinglike this can't remember brain is fried

I would not go with an agency that solicts over the phone for classes if the goal is to find him actual work or to get training that will apply to future employment. If you have $$$ and he wants to do this for the personal enjoyment factor then go for it- otherwise no it is a scam

Mary

#3 ·
my ds is the cutest 18 mo in the world (lol) and since everyone has said he should be in modelling not only for his looks but for his dimeanor, as well. a friend of mine has 2 children in the business so i seeked her advise. not only did she say, it but the few agencies i have spoken to have as well, that no agency should ask you for money to do work for them. they get their money after you get the jobs when they get a cut from your ds's earnings. these agencies, themselves, said it is ascam if they ask for money up front.

i know he is excited but maybe you should talk to an established talent agency in your area for advise. everyone i ever spoke to was very nice and helpful.

plus maybe you could do a little research yourself to find some well known actors who started out in theatre. this could be a decision maker for him to join a local troupe.

good luck

#4 ·
I really don't know. I wouldn't pay $2000--wouldn't even consider it. But for us it would be a terrible decision financially.

If it were my child, which it isn't, I would suggest that being involved with local theatre would be the "preparation" necessary for TV performing. One thing I would consider are adult theatre classes, such as at a college, which perhaps would seem more serious. Such things would be the first step toward developing dramatic talents. If he began to do this, then you and he might be in a position to seek an agent or audition for work in studios or movie shoots in your area.

I would be very hesitant to do anything like that in which they had to random call to find "customers."

However, if you think you want to give it a chance, see if they will allow you to pay for the first session as a trial so you can see what they are actually doing. It would also give your son a chance to get a feel for it and be more sure of how he likes it. If you spent $2000, how would it be for him to change his mind halfway through? Would you feel able to deal with such a situation well?

On one level, his enthusiasm is priceless. And even if it turns out to be less valuable to developing his interests and a possible career than it seems on the surface, it could be a valuable experience for him to learn about things in this world that are not what they appear to be. Right now, you see all this hype as hype and you have an experience that you compare this to in which you felt ripped off. But hearing about what you've experienced and trying something and going through it are very different. I think a teen doesn't want secondhand worldviews from their parents, and they desire and need to be putting together an independent one that they can experiment with.

I hope these aren't useless comments, since I don't have any real answers. Part of me wants you to do it and to see it turn out that it's just "up his alley." Surely there are businesses like this that are reputable. Oh, another thought--try checking out the business with the Better Business Bureau, or call some professional film studios and ask them what they think, or both.

#5 ·
Ooh, Ooh, is it John Robert Powers? It sure sounds just like them - and it's a SCAM. They've been reported to the BBB, they lie, they pay minor stars to take their classes and then list them as "graduates". Once you take one class, they g after you for the next one, more expensive, because your kid has so much TALENT. Rain went to an orientation, and they fawned all over her and she fell for it, and then felt so awful when we researched a bit. A lot of her theatre friends have had the same experience. STAY AWAY!!!!!

There are *legit* casting companies and agents. If he wants to do TV, he needs a resume and a professional headshot. Then you can submit it to agents and see if they're interested - an agent can never charge you or refer you to anyone who does, legally and ethically. You can also check with local theatre companies, and see if they offer any classes in TV and film -many do.

For an agent to take you, it helps to have something on your resume, and the easiest way to get that is to do some community theatre. Would it be better if he looked at it as a way to get to TV? As a 13 yr old boy, he'd definately get cast - they always need boys. Maybe an adult theatre company would be better than a teen company, so the show would have a mixture of ages? Like we're doing Bye Bye Birdie now, and there are kids, teens, and adults. Also, many local theatre groups will have a email list that sends out audition notices and often some indy film opportunities pop up, as well as some work as a TV extra. This pays little to nothing, but looks good on a resume.

Dar

#7 ·
this is a scam
legit agencies don't charge that much and don't ask for fees up front
they usually take it out of the first job
I agree with the other posters about finding legit classes
You can sometimes find these for homeschoolers through local jr colleges
( sorry I can't remember if you are stateside or overseas right now)

#8 ·
Ok, it's a scam. The company is called World Talent. I had a gut feeling it was a scam since they were cold calling people but my ds got so excited. I told him that if it turned out to be one of those scams where they ask for all kinds of money for classes or training, we couldn't do it. They haven't actually asked for any money yet. We are supposed to call back tomorrow to find out if they want us back. I looked them up on the BBB website and they are listed as a training business (that's not quite the right description) not an agent. They have also had 9 complaints against them since they've been in business in November 2001. That seems really bad to me.

I wish I could get him interested in local community theatre. I am on a local homeschooling message group and constantly get emails about theatre projects. He doesn't think it's cool enough, I guess. I'll have to brainstorm some more about that. I told him that if he really wants to pursue performing we would look into other ways of getting experience.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I knew in my gut it was a scam but wasn't sure what to do because my ds was so excited about it. I didn't want to dash his hopes. *sigh*

#9 ·
Just for the record - legally, a talent agent cannot charge you *any* money up front, or refer you to anyone who can. They do take a percentage of your income, though.

Dar

#10 ·
One possible way to get him interested in community theater or drama classes is that some schools (all the ones in my town, at least) keep a file on hand of registered students who are interested in movie or tv work. Almost all the local casting of children here goes through one of the drama or dance schools. It's free if you're registered for a class, and the school screens the contacts for you.

Ali

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.