Umbrella schools? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving back to Alabama where the hsing requirements are to (1) have a certified teacher tutor him or (2) join a religious umbrella school.

Here's my dilemma. All the local schools require you to be an active member of a evangelical church. I don't mind joining a church. The part I have a problem with is the "active" part. I feel like our attendance and participation would be monitored.

Plus I am concerned that I would be inviting criticism into what I allow my child to read/watch/play. We like lots of stuff that evangelicals hate like Pokemon, Harry Potter, etc. I don't want to tell Tay he can't talk about them, but neither do I want to get into debates with the parents, kwim?

There is an open-minded umbrella school that is far away that would satisfy the requirement but wouldn't provide local support.

What would you do? We have always relied on support groups to make friends with other homeschoolers. Dh thinks we can meet plenty of kids through the YMCA, church and the neighborhood. What do you think?
#2 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 04:43 PM

What type of support are you looking for? (Curriculum support? Legal support? Friendships?) Are there any hs groups around that are not affiliated with a school? Could you create your own support group?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 04:46 PM

Laralou,

There is a Pagan private school that will allow you to use them as an umbrella program (you don't have to use their curriculum, they just keep the records for you) for a very reasonable fee.
http://www.goddessmooncirclesacademy.org/
#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking for more friendship support (we're covered on legal and curriculum issues). I can't find any support groups not affiliated with a specific school. I thought about starting my own, but wondered if everyone was a part of these really active schools, who would come to mine?

That is the appeal of the religious schools- having all those activities we could attend. I am frustrated having to choose between submitting to religious ideals that are not my own or be on our own activity/friendship-wise. Does that make sense?
#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2002, 06:17 PM

I thought this info from www.roserock.org might be of help finding local support:

Alabama:

Local Contacts & Pages:

C.A.R.E. (Central Alabama Resource for home Educators) http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7633/cafsg.html
Facilitator: Suzanne Blickenstaff
Email: Mi4Angels@aol.com
Monthly calendar of events, activities and field trips via email and/or website.

HEART (Home Educators of Alabama Round Table) http://www.educationalfreedom.com/heart/

Alabama Email Lists and People with information:

AHEN-Alabama Home Educators' Network. Right now we are an email list, a web site, an information packet and a small group that gives seminars. We would like to grown into a wonderful web of folks for all of AL hsers.
Website http://members.aol.com/kaekaeb/AHEN/Ahen.htm
Email list -- send a message to majordomo@mylist.net and put "s*bscribe ahen" in the body (without the quotes). You can contact Lisa Bugg at 1-256-882-0208 in Huntsville AL. She also works in the AOL Hsing forum.
#6 of 6 Old 08-12-2002, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page