HC when the baby comes - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > HC when the baby comes
SquirelNutkin's Avatar SquirelNutkin 11:34 AM 08-10-2002
Hi-
I am due in 6 weeks, and my daugheter will turn 3 when I give birth.
I have been pretty tired this pregnancy- and we also moved into a fixer up house, starting a business, and my mother had surgery-
So, we really have done nothing for her education. Some days, I can hardly get us to a musuem or the zoo. Since we moved, she really hasnt been playing with her toys, just piling them up all together. But lots of reading.

Anyhow, so I am having some time now for reflection. She does seem like she needs some more stimulus, and I want to be more stimulating!

Does anyone have ideas for when the baby comes?
I have some time in the next 6 weeks to get ready and plan some projects, etc.
What did you need when you had a second child (as far as education./ entertainment) goes?

Thanks
brenda

SagMom's Avatar SagMom 01:23 PM 08-10-2002
Brenda, while you may feel like you've "done nothing for her education," I doubt she's learned nothing. Surely she's learned something about the human body since her mom is having a baby and her grandma had surgery...and I'll bet she's learned about moving and home improvement...and maybe she's picked up some understanding about the work it takes to start a business--not bad.

On to your question though. My oldest was 3 when his sister was born. Nursing time for the baby was reading time for us--he's bring a stack of books to me and sit next to me and I'd read while the baby nursed. That was a nice, quiet time. He liked craft projects so we had lots of those on hand, art supplies, clay, jigsaw puzzles, legos, blocks, card games like Old Maid and Go Fish, etc. We also had a few videos (I am NOT big on tv/vcr's) that my mother had sent--they were live-action videos, I think the producer was "Levine." One was all about construction vehicles, another showed the airport and planes, one was called "Where the Garbage Goes." He really loved them because he got a close-up look at things that he wouldn't normally get to see close up, and he learned a lot about how these things work and different professions.

He also liked "The Anti-coloring Book." Rather than being just pics to color in, a page may have the outline of a cereal box and the child is asked to design the package for a brand-new cereal. There are several different volumes. (More imaginative than regular coloring books.)

He also always joined me in cooking and baking, bathing the baby and other everyday activities.
Up