#1 of 5 Old 08-11-2002, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, just one more...

Encouraging Learning Passion in Children
By John Andersen
3/9/01

I endorse the "curriculum" of freely following one's interests.

But when it comes to children, parental involvement is a must. This is because children often won't know they have an interest in something until after their parents bring it to their attention.

Wise parents expose their children to the community, to complex issues, to a broad spectrum of people, to the greatest minds, and so forth. There is a variety of ways they might do this.

http://www.unconventionalideas.com/passion.html
#2 of 5 Old 08-13-2002, 12:02 PM

gilnikche,
Interesting article, did you write it? I hope to do some of these interesting things with our kids as they become of age to sit still and do them.
#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2002, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gardenrn
gilnikche,
Interesting article, did you write it?
No. I did not write it. Kinda wish my familywas like that though. Except I want to live in a rural area.
#4 of 5 Old 08-13-2002, 08:04 PM

Thank you-that was great!
#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2002, 12:42 AM

You guys know I have to take a snippet from the article I like and quote it
Quote:
Rather, the idea is to be active learners, to create your own intellectual stimulation, to sincerely believe you can actually learn something without tests, tuition payments, classroom time, or grades.This "method" is anything but passive and directionless. On the contrary, it's arguably the most demanding of all learning methods and potentially, the most stimulating as well. For it to succeed, parents need to be their children's facilitators, constantly finding ways to harness the endless learning resources of their local community, and ultimately the world around them. Essentially, it's about lighting a fire within yourself and letting it burn brightly enough that your children naturally desire to become engulfed as well.
Kind of long but I loved it. This is how I want my kids to learn. This article said it all. Loved all of the suggestions. Going to put it in my favorite places and go back and read it often.

Thanks gilnicke for the articles they were awesome. I'm emailing the address at the bottom of the page of the articles and letting the webmaster know that I enjoyed them.

Kylix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page