portfolios/work samples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2002, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have advice on creating portfolios for review by the school department? I have been looking at "The Homeschooler's Guide to Portfolios and Transcripts" by Loretta Heuer. It is a great resource, but her focus is on the middle school and high school years. I am just starting the reporting practice with my first grader; we aren't quite at the "discovering yourself and assessing your own work" stage, yet.

Our state allows the superintendent to request a method of evaluation (and they would like a brief description of what I intend to submit), but the law doesn't spell out the requirements of something like a portfolio.

I hate to sound snide, but how many fingerpaintings and letters to Grandma do I have to include? What do people really expect to see from a six year old, and how much will be "enough"? What is really being evaluated, my child's work or our approach?

I'm wigging out just a bit. Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when they are young they learn soooo much sooo fast...I take a sample of work from each subject, EVERY month and stick it in her portfolio. That along with my homeschool journal has served us well.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 08-12-2002, 04:48 AM

I keep notebooks for history, science and literary arts. (this is the way suggested by The Well Trained Mind) What I do for science and history is have him dictate to me after we read a book what it said. I write it down and include the title of the book and stick it in. I also put a description of any pertinant projects, field trips, read alouds or movies in them. In the literary arts folder I keep a list of book that I have read to him, and also the ones he reads, as well as writing samples, spelling words, and stories he has disctated.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:59 PM

If you have a digital camera you can take photos of your child on 'field trips', lego projects, caring for pets, plants etc and scan narrated or illustrated stories, then dump into a file to sort out as needed if you get in a crunch, we also save the receipt from our trips to the library to show a reading log, I check next to the title w a color pencil to keep track of who read what. Be sure to save your files on computer to disc I would ask someone that has already submitted in your district for specific advice because what is okay to one superintendent may not be to another.
What we have done in the past is to create a scrapbook each year for each child, using a 3 ring binder with clear plastic drop in pages. As the year goes by each month or so we sort through the rubbermaid container in the master bathroom closet (our storage spot) and pick out a couple things that match each subject area, any activity form or a certificate from church goes in there, as well as receipts for classes. This is a great memory book then that the kids like to look at, not just a compilation of stuff to please someone else. I wish you the best of luck!
Mary
mom to 3 wonderful boys 13, 8, and 5 and my darling daughter 2 1/2
Old 08-13-2002, 06:09 AM

For second grade, I had a binder with dividers for Language, Math, Science, History, Art/Music/Misc. I put in any worksheets he did (we do unit studies), flyers from field trips with dates on them, printed pics we took with the digital camera of different activities, copies of letters he wrote, artwork he drew, etc.

We also did separate notebooks on special topics like sharks or certain holidays.

Then I had a separate notebook with our daily activities in them (many many days I had to be creative to find the school in our activities).
Old 08-13-2002, 06:12 AM

I forgot to add that I made a chart for books read that I filled in each time he read a book or I read one to him. General fiction went on a list in the Language section. Anything science related went on a list in Science, and the same with history.

User Tag List