Does homeschool rock the boat in your worlds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2002, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks so much for the help. everyone here is so kind. i just LOVE this forum. i can't tell you how much better i feel already. i am a new mom at 33 and there are some things i just feel instinctively. knowing all of you makes me feel normal. thank God for you, truly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2002, 04:04 PM

Well, Sweden is in general a very good AP country to raise your kids...but HS is not an option here. I think I read last year that there were maybe 4 kids HS and they all had been granted special permission for extreme cases adn they did not live near a city. By extreme, I mean like health/psychological problems. And those who do get permission have strict follow-ups and have to apply every year. A solid foundation of the Swedish school system is that by law every child should have the same educational opportunities no matter where they live--so instead of letting the kid out in the middle of the countryside HS (not hard to end up out there here), there are buses and village schools and distance learning, etc. That said, dh says that for most of these kids out in the boonies, their schooling is basically HS as they are at home and do everything by computer/video/occasional visits. But, it is not so common. On the other hand, the school we have chosen for our two to attend in the future is a "free school" (read: private) and they are FREE here and you can go to Montessori or Waldorf or whatever and it is free by law (lunches, books, everything). We have chosen a school that encourages a lot of parental involvement and focuses on art, theatre, and music. Not HS but we don't have much choice, do we?
Old 08-21-2002, 10:20 PM

You don't get to choose between building over there or your own house, but it seems you've got lots of choices as far as which kind of education fits your child and your family (which is the point of homeschooling anyway, isn't it?) I figured Sweden must have an amazingly diverse educational system for it to be cumpulsory and no public backlash

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 08-23-2002, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been able to get back on until today. And I have read all your amazing posts.

There are so many encouraging ways to handle the "opposition"--sad to phrase it this way, but in reality...

My mil just found out that we are homeschooling. Thank God she's only talked to my DH so far about it. (Avoidance works best as far as my own dealings with her. )

Again, her argument--and I do mean argument--is the socialization of my DS.

I'm preparing myself for her onslaught. Silence works best for me. But when questioned directly? I get really sulky when she thinks my silence means I don't have a valid reason.

I'm just not throwing my pearls before swine.

So, thanks everyone for your amazing connection here.

This is going to be FUN!! (HS, not the mil factor. )
Old 08-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Banned

I just got the socialization lecture from the father of a good friend. "It is so important for her to socialize", Oh pluh-eeze. Then when I said that even her Preschool teacher thought she was not ready for Public K I got the "but she needs to learn those things now, not next yr". I didn't even bother to say she will be learning "those things" but when she is ready, not when the school demands her to be.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:04 PM

I stand corrected! I checked out the laws more carefully (in part thanks to your sites, Gina) adn it is not actually illegal in Sweden as I have been told, but rather still extremely difficult. Less than 100 families in a country of almost 8.5 million do it and they are monitored closely every year. Now I have a good info site in Swedish so I will check it out some more...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:09 PM

o thats good to hear about sweden, sort of

i musta missed the link about swedens laws, id very much like to know the details of this, if someone could post it. thanks
Old 08-26-2002, 04:50 AM

Gina posted this on another list we are on. Some of the Sweden info is only in Swedish, but there is a contact person and since the site has some English info, he probably could reply in English. If you can't get enought info in English, write me and I can let you know what's in Swedish.
This feels like big news for me, but I need to re-think now. My kids are bilingual and I am a little unsure how the Swedish will go for them if I HS them (I am American, dh Swedish).

USA Regional Homeschooling Laws and Support
http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschool...nal/Region.htm
which has links for the U.S. by state, for Canada by province, AND...
Puerto Rico - Australia - Belgium - Czech Republic - Denmark - France -
Germany
Ireland - Israel - Italy - Netherlands - Norway - Scotland - Sweden -
South Africa
United Kingdom - China - India - Japan - Malaysia - New Zealand -
Singapore

User Tag List