What are the easiest/hardest states to homeschool in? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The law is always more intimidating than it needs to be. Before you move to a new state or consider a new state, get in touch with the homeschoolers in that state. Yahoo groups as well as Finding your Tribe have been great resources for me.
#32 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
forgive me if this is repeated info - i am in a hurry but wanted to share in case it is not repeat stuff:
PA law has a requirement of immunization records (not verbatim - check into the specifics for yourself if you consider HSing here) so that is one thing to consider, if you are a non-vaxing family. as someone else did note you don't have to go on record until the child is 8, so that gives time to address the issue, if it is one for you. the amish don't vax, (and PA has a HUGE amish population), so i am sure there is some way around this. we have been referred to a book entitled: your personal guide to immunization exemptions, by grace girdwain. our chiropractor recommended it as he did not vax and his kids went to regular schools. and he is not an MD, so he didn't write some sort of medical waiver either. he says the book provides state by state info on exemptions. we'll see!
several teacher friends (who do actually support what we are doing with the unschooling concept) say that the teacher's union is very strong in PA and that they have worked hard to make HSing difficult in the union's best interest. that to me says that the rules are unlikely to change in favor of HSers and may even become more unfavorable. just a personal opinion/feeling though.
good luck and thanks for posting because, believe it or not, we are in the SAME boat - moving before long and wanting to find a state that has laws we can live with.

Kate
#33 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 03:39 PM

we have sort of a dual-residency thing (long complicated story- don't ask!) with CT and PA and I forgot to mention CT. CT is very easy and almost funny. if you WANT to, you can file a notice of intent, but you aren't required to. if you DO submit a notice then you do a review with a school board official for about 15 minutes in their office at the end of the year. but you do not have portfolio review if you do not file the notice of intent. there is no testing, no records (if you aren't submitting to review) and the subject matter "criteria" is easy. the general statutes only get specific when it gets to history, as it says "to include a study of town government and history" or something cute like that. other than that, subjects are the things your kids learn anyway - mathmatics, grammar, science, etc. - all vague subject areas like that. CT HSers have groups (as i am sure other states do also) for activities and socialization. the CT HSers site is:
www.cthomeschoolnetwork.org

Kate
#34 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
PA law has a requirement of immunization records (not verbatim - check into the specifics for yourself if you consider HSing here) so that is one thing to consider, if you are a non-vaxing family.
Well, you are allowed to have an exemption and go to public school, so I would assume you would just present your exemption when you declared you were homeschooling.

Quote:
several teacher friends (who do actually support what we are doing with the unschooling concept) say that the teacher's union is very strong in PA and that they have worked hard to make HSing difficult in the union's best interest.
PA does have a very strong public school union, and they are talking about dropping the compulsory education age down to six which will probably just effect the homeschoolers.

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#35 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 PM

I'm in PA, and it's a real pain in the neck here, but certainly doable. There's definately an exemption for vaxing, but you still have to have annual physicals. Last I heard, there were some lawsuits pending; some families were saying that the laws are too restrictive. They are, but if you do the absolute minimum, it's okay. I have no idea how people manage to unschool in PA, but apparently some do.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#36 of 54 Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 PM

Do you think a Naturopath could do the physicals? We are lucky since Michael is just in kindergarten, and most of the hs-ers we know here are pretty much "schooling at home".

Quote:
I have no idea how people manage to unschool in PA, but apparently some do.
I think they lie (really!)

I'm trying to keep track of things so I am in the habit of it when we do actually have to report. I have a friend who does the absolute bare minimum- for attendance, she checks a calendar, her portfolios have the minimum required, etc.

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#37 of 54 Old 11-06-2004, 01:37 AM

Well, NM was very easy. Had to file a letter of intent and that was it. I didnt, and no one ever caught me
WA is easy. It looks difficult on paper, but it isnt. ABout the vax requirements, they have that here too, BUT you keep the vax info on file at your home, in case you put your child in ps. Also, there is a form you can print up from the dept of health in Washington. You check off that you are opposed to vax for personal reasons, and then you list the vax that your child hasnt received. If there is an outbreak your child will stay home from school (!!) and that is it. It is not a state where if you philosophically dont vax, you cant do any shots. You can pick and choose
#38 of 54 Old 11-06-2004, 03:04 PM

This is our first year but Maryland seems reasonable. You file a form of intent to homeschool and have 1-3 (no one i've met has had 3) reviews, the first in person around Jan, the second you mail in work samples in May or June. Testing is optional. You can join an umbrella group for as little as $60 and then you can do peer reviews and never have to meet with anyone from the county. What i'm curious about is the states that let Homeschoolers take some classes in the public schools. I sure wish we had THAT here!

I know the reporting is a pain, but remember that it protects children whose parents may keep them home and not teach them anything. And i'm not talking about unschoolers, i'm talking about neglect.

Good luck!!!
#39 of 54 Old 11-06-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother
I know the reporting is a pain, but remember that it protects children whose parents may keep them home and not teach them anything. And i'm not talking about unschoolers, i'm talking about neglect.
Well, we can debate this but I disagree. Neglect does not happen any more often in states where homeschoolers have complete freedom. If reporting and testing really worked this way then every child in the school system should graduate well educated and literate and that just doesn't happen.

I'm in NJ where we don't have to test or report to anyone so I know I'm spoiled :LOL
#40 of 54 Old 11-06-2004, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie
I'm in CA and personally think it's easy and non-intrusive. We're planning a move to AZ soon and even filing an intent form once kinda rubs me the wrong way--like now I'm in some database of hs'ers or something.
We just moved away from Tucson AZ last summer and it is a wonderful place to homeschool. The intent is no big deal, it is just states that you are responsible for educating your own children and then you and your DH sign it. It is a one time thing. Tucson has 8 homeschooling groups so it is easy to find one to find one you like AND the groups all get together occassionaly for things like spelling bees, science fairs, etc. Once a year they have a "Homeschooling 101" night as a way to provide homeschooling information to any one in the community who is interested. The county superendentant of schools would come to answer legal questions, clarify that special needs kids could still get services through the schools, talk about how great homeschooled kids do on tests, etc. VERY supportive. ( no testing is required)

Also, HSed kids can talk a class at school or play on teams at school if they wish. The homeschooling community was very diverse -- from dresses only Christians to pagan to jews to catholics.

How easy or hard it is to homeschool some place goes way beyond the laws. We are now in Kansas and the laws are easy (we register as a private school, which really meant that we had to come up with a name), but homeschooling here is icky for us right now because we haven't found our nitch.
#41 of 54 Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
If reporting and testing really worked this way then every child in the school system should graduate well educated and literate and that just doesn't happen.
ITA.
Those who do not send their children to PS and do not HS will continue to no matter what the state requires of HS'ers. They will stay under the radar and not report anything. the school system will have no idea the children exist

Quote:
Also, HSed kids can talk a class at school or play on teams at school if they wish
I use to think this was a good idea, but now I am completely against it. HS'ers themsleves will find or form ways to have classes or sports if they desire. I really feel that the PS system, once their foot is in the door, will continue to take more control of HS'ers. I want them out of my childrens education. If I wanted my kids PS educated I would send them to PS. I also don't like the idea of the PS getting tax dollars for a child who is not schooled there 100%. I think it opens the door for them to require all HS'er to require all HS'ers to have some attachment to a school.
#42 of 54 Old 11-07-2004, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_lyn
I really feel that the PS system, once their foot is in the door, will continue to take more control of HS'ers. I want them out of my childrens education. ...
I think it opens the door for them to require all HS'er to require all HS'ers to have some attachment to a school.
I've gone back and forth on this issue a bunch of times. I don't want to have anything to do with public schools, but I don't have a problem with other parents doing things differently from the way I do them.

Although there are lots of oportunities for homeschooled kids, there really are some things, like highschool football or drama, that just aren't going to be available at the same level somewhere else. Although the situation where we lived was very open, very few families choose to take a class or play sports. It was just too much of a hassle. I knew one mom who did (her DD took Drama and loved it) but she said it was a real pain to get her there 5 days a weeks. It really broke up their day. I never actually met anyone who's child played a sport, but it was occassionally mentioned in the papers.

The schools didn't get any money for the homeschoolers and no paper work or testing was required of them.
#43 of 54 Old 11-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

The options do open when there is enough demand for it.
IE in our area HS drama classes are offered through a local performing arts center. From what I understand they are "top notch". The young actress Dakota (something?) studied there. She was in the TV mini series taken, and has been in several motion pictures, just right now I can't think of any.

While sports are a bit more of a problem, there are non PS ways to do that too. Here there is a HS team that plays against private schools.
There are many individual sports or sports non offered in PS that have highly competitive teams in the area. Swimming, gymnastics, Martial arts, etc. There is also sports such as golf and tennis, while offered at the PS, there are also highly competitive non PS competitions out there.
Speaking of Martial arts, that is the option that we have chosen. My children have competed at the national level for 2 years. Many colleges have competitive marital arts programs. A scholarship to one of them is something we are looking into at the moment
#44 of 54 Old 11-07-2004, 05:22 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There are so many non-school options for just about any subject of interest. Recreation departments, YMCA, libraries, museums, Jewish Community Center; all have kids' programs, sometimes homeschool specific (daytime hours). Private classes in art or music, martial arts through independant dojos, etc. I have a grudge against the public schools here (didn't have this attitude in CA, but Georgia is different) so I would never use anything this school offered. But I don't think we are missing anything.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#45 of 54 Old 11-07-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_lyn
The young actress Dakota (something?) studied there. She was in the TV mini series taken, and has been in several motion pictures, just right now I can't think of any.
Dakota Fanning. She was in "The Cat in the Hat," "Man on Fire," and loads of other things. She's a real cutie.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#46 of 54 Old 11-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Banned

I could see her face but couldn't place any movies except that she play the young version of the lead character in Swet Home Alabama. That is when I found out that she was from here. The mom I went to the movie with knew about her from the performing arts center. My friend's son was in the HS class.
#47 of 54 Old 11-08-2004, 03:04 AM

I love homeschooling in texas. I feel very spoiled doing it in austin because we have several wonderful large support groups. here are some of the groups in the dallas area...

(look about half way down the page) http://www.apconnect.org/LocalEd.htm

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/...SupportDFW.htm

(also look about half way down the page. this is off the TAFFIE list, a great resorce list for texas homeschoolers) http://www.jsoft.com/archive/taffie/...l#PrariesLakes

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#48 of 54 Old 11-08-2004, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=mother

Good luck!!! [/QUOTE]

Mother,
I totally disagree with this statement! There are already MANY laws in place to protect children from child abuse and neglect. If a child was being neglected than a friend, neighbor, relative, doctor, clergy, ect could report it. We do not need the goverment watching us to *make sure* children are not getting neglected. IMO all the parents I've met who homeschool do so because they want the best for their children.

BTW, where are you in MD? I am from Maryland and depending on where you are could direct you to resources in your community for homeschoolers.
#49 of 54 Old 11-09-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
Thanks for all the leads so far, and also for the website and book recommendation.
I also have this fear that I will move and then the laws will change on me.
Now I want to compare how the homebirthing communities compare with the homeschooling laws.
I just wanna do what I want with my family without having to worry about the state interfering, is that to much to ask?
i personally find california a good place to be because its, in my opinion, a very forward thinking state with lots of open minded people. mind you, we do have our conservatives here too...they're everywhere unfortunately...but i live in the central valley and we have a LARGE community of attachment parents, homeschoolers, homebirthers....LOTS of non-mainstreamers, and i bump into more and more all the time. so in my opinion, california is a good place to be for many reasons...the people just tend to be very open minded and, lol, there's not many towns without health food stores, LOL. they don't call us a granola state for nothing! LOL!! although i hear that oregon and washington are pretty crunchy as well...and they have much better air then we do here in the central valley. but, well, we have a much cheaper cost of living...it all balances out. depends on what your personal priorities are. some people would probably hate california. i personally love it, there's so much diversity within the state and if i can get my husband to let go of the central valley (he's born and raised here)...there's an infinite amount of possibilities just within this one state....all climates and habitats and just so much to choose from. and as others pointed out, CA hs'ing laws are quite easy.

as far as conservative christian homeschooling groups...we have them here too, but we also have a large secular homeschooling community, so i'm sticking with them, lol.

just thought i'd let ya know how things are out here in california!

tina
mommy to maeven, 4yrs, hospital c-section, and baelin, stillborn homebirth 4/17/04 due to rare genetic bone disorder (no reason to test for this since its rare and no family history...and not related, according to the coroner, to where he was born), EDD #3 7/05
#50 of 54 Old 12-09-2004, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KS
We just moved away from Tucson AZ last summer and it is a wonderful place to homeschool. The intent is no big deal, it is just states that you are responsible for educating your own children and then you and your DH sign it. It is a one time thing. Tucson has 8 homeschooling groups so it is easy to find one to find one you like AND the groups all get together occassionaly for things like spelling bees, science fairs, etc. Once a year they have a "Homeschooling 101" night as a way to provide homeschooling information to any one in the community who is interested. The county superendentant of schools would come to answer legal questions, clarify that special needs kids could still get services through the schools, talk about how great homeschooled kids do on tests, etc. VERY supportive. ( no testing is required)

Also, HSed kids can talk a class at school or play on teams at school if they wish. The homeschooling community was very diverse -- from dresses only Christians to pagan to jews to catholics.
I'm very encouraged to hear this!! (We're really looking forward to our move and I'm getting tired of our monthly meetings with our mentor teacher from the charter school!)

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#51 of 54 Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
AZ has one of the best laws concerning HS. You just file a notice of intent once.
Yes, and you can wait until the child is 8 before you have to do it!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#52 of 54 Old 12-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:
BTW, where are you in MD? I am from Maryland and depending on where you are could direct you to resources in your community for homeschoolers.
Mama_Kass....Do you mind if I step in here I live in Maryland and looking for more resources in my community for homeschoolers. I have an 19 month old son right now. I learning everything I can about homeschool and have specific questions about homeschooling in Maryland.

Thanks.....sorry to interupt.

Sorry, I fogot to state that I Live in Mount Airy Maryland, east of Frederick.
#53 of 54 Old 12-10-2004, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
The only way California could be easier would be if they didn't require anything at all... filing a short form once a year seems pretty good to me, compared to portfolios and testing and that sort of garbage.

Arizona was similarly easy, just notify,but they got the kids' names... California doesn't even get those.

Florida is comparatively difficult, really. I would never submit to an annual testing or portfolio, anyway.

Dar

Dar
California is pretty hard sometimes, because homeschooling isn't technically legal, homeschoolers have to register as private schools. This means you have to keep the same records that private schools are required to keep...and if the state wants to crack down they are fully within their rights to come to your facility and inspect your records. So there is a lot of potential for trouble. I don't keep any records until the fall after my children turn 6yo because that's the age here for complusory education. Because of my Ex I use an online virtual charter school with my dd, but I homeschool independantly with my ds who has a different father.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#54 of 54 Old 12-11-2004, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Kentucky is pretty easy..All you have to do is send a letter of intent to your school. district every year.

Michigan is even easier...You don't have to do anything at all.

Hope this helps..

Love Mylie xx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page