Texas homeschoolers, please read and be honest... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Learning at Home and Beyond > Texas homeschoolers, please read and be honest...
Carolinamidwife's Avatar Carolinamidwife 05:03 PM 11-07-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom
DFW is like living inside the ACLU compared to this town.
: I know what you mean... I have had some experience in Arlington... unfortunately!

marisa's Avatar marisa 08:25 PM 11-07-2004
I live in Fort Worth, and I love it. There is that air of cowboy pride around here, but that's just because of our city's history of being a big cattle town. It's also very diverse, and I live in an area with alot of gay couples so I don't find it homophobic. And like other posters said, there are TONS of homeschoolers here.
CerridwenLorelei's Avatar CerridwenLorelei 09:10 PM 11-07-2004
we have several Mansfield families in our hs group willowsmom
kind of like I live elsewhere but spend much time in WFW and SWFW and belong to a group there and not here
teachermom's Avatar teachermom 04:24 AM 11-08-2004
I live in austin. austin area homeschooler (secular/inclusive) has at least 600 members, there is no membership list but that is how many families were on the e-mail loop last time I checked. cheact (the christian-strictly group) has over 1500 members, and there are at least 20 smaller assorted groups in the surrounding area. AAH has chess club, many differant groups who do park days, graduations cermonies, a coupld of dances a year, several co-ops, etc. there are amazing things for homeschoolers to do here from acting classes, art classes, mentorship programs, it just goes on and on.
snugglebutter's Avatar snugglebutter 02:43 PM 11-08-2004
Jenny,

Have you guys considered Richardson? We have only been here since July but it seems fairly diverse. We are in the UTD area.

We moved from Denton - lots of homeschooling, many conservatives - though a lot of diversity with the UNT students. Denton does have a nice birth center, GREAT midwives and even a natural birth friendly hospital.
ManiacMama's Avatar ManiacMama 04:13 PM 11-08-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebutter
Jenny,

Have you guys considered Richardson? We have only been here since July but it seems fairly diverse. We are in the UTD area.

We moved from Denton - lots of homeschooling, many conservatives - though a lot of diversity with the UNT students. Denton does have a nice birth center, GREAT midwives and even a natural birth friendly hospital.
We did look at a house in Richardson, but it seems like we can get more house elsewhere so we concentrated the rest of our search in the southern metro. Denton is one area that we'd like to look at so I'm glad you mentioned it. How far is that driving distance to say Irving or downtown Dallas?

Jenny
snugglebutter's Avatar snugglebutter 11:02 PM 11-08-2004
Depending on where you are actually going you are looking at 45min to an hour, and that's without heavy traffic. Denton is great, but if your Dh is working in Dallas I would consider something closer (at least something south of the Lake Lewisville bridge). That is the main reason we moved. Our cost of living did increase slightly, but Dh is so much happier without that drive that it has been worth it for us. He wants to stay at his current job at least a few more years so it is well worth it for us to be closer.

Well I'm not too much help huh?
ManiacMama's Avatar ManiacMama 12:36 AM 11-09-2004
No, no, that was actually quite helpful. It's one thing to look at a map but another to actually live there and have to drive it.

Does anyone know anything about the atmosphere in the Cedar Hill area? This is another area we are looking at.

Jenny
mom2abm's Avatar mom2abm 01:41 PM 11-09-2004
Ok I have been sitting here trying to decide what to say on this thread......As a conservative Christian who is from Northern Illinois(LOL had to add that in)
the Christian bashing on the mothering site gets on my nerves.
I can understand not wanting to be proseltized(sp?) to but come on lets not lump everyone together. Lets face it you will be moving into the bible belt. There will be churches EVERYWHERE. But Texas is one of the BEST states to homeschool in. Lots of freedom you are considered a private school. There are groups here that are not Christian and do not make you sign a statement of faith. In fact I had joined a group and when sitting talking with the women and they started the Christian/politics bashing thing I suggested that maybe not all of us were on the same page and they just kept going anyway it bugged me. In other words it can be on both sides.(the so called intolerance I mean) But you will find that there are tons that are. But you may also find that there are some really friendly nice people here. This is a major metroplolitian area and there are all kinds of groups for everyone. Join the DFW homeschoolers unschoolers yahoo list and put a post out there to see where some groups are that you would be interested in and see about moving closer to there. I htink that there is a PLano unschoolers group. I know THEA in Ft. Worth(and northern Ft. Worth subburbs) is not Christian there may be Christians that are in the group. THere are choices.

Sarah in Tx.
mom2abm's Avatar mom2abm 01:52 PM 11-09-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMama
No, no, that was actually quite helpful. It's one thing to look at a map but another to actually live there and have to drive it.

Does anyone know anything about the atmosphere in the Cedar Hill area? This is another area we are looking at.

Jenny
My husband goes mountain biking in the state park there. WE went camping there years ago also .But that is about 30-45 minutes from where I live so I do not know much about the homeschooling groups there. There is a homeschool store sort of near there with classes ect. Actually the store is in Duncanville. It is called Home Educators resource. There is also a place called Camp el har or somehting like that. I do not know really anyting about it except that they have classes for homeschoolers I keep seeing it on an e-list I am on and I think it is in that area of the metroplex. It is worth a web search. which I should really be doing before I post this but oh well I am running late. I hope that helps some

Sara in Tx.
CerridwenLorelei's Avatar CerridwenLorelei 02:13 PM 11-09-2004
I have quite a few Christian friends and if you read my posts you will see I said the ones out here give Christians a bad name
I don't think a death threat on someone's answering machine for trying to start a group that is secular or following people and writing license plates #'s then harassing the people they belong to falls under Christian category even though they claim to be
So feel free to correct me if I am wrong and the concepts have changed..but I don't think so

And those of us NOT CC ARE the minority and treated badly quite often by those that are even when we DO NOT be ugly to them and even welcome them into our groups lives etc so maybe that is why you see/feel the bashing?
Most often those of us who are not do not say much unless it gets ugly or uncomfortable

THEA and EXCEL are BOTH inclusive of everyone regardless of religion, politics etc..
Carolinamidwife's Avatar Carolinamidwife 02:36 PM 11-09-2004
Um, yeah... you shouldn't lump everyone together but I think if you are one of the largest group it can be hard to understand how those on the outside feel. It might seem like Christian bashing to you but imagine if the whole world seemed made of atheists and you were trying to find a place to fit in. It's normal to want to seek out others who are like you, kwim? You can't deny that the majority of folks in suburban DFW are Christian, certainly they are not pagan or humanist, etc...
ManiacMama's Avatar ManiacMama 03:08 PM 11-09-2004
I just wanted to clarify I don't have a problem with Christians at all until they start preaching to me about their beliefs (I'm comfortable with mine, thanks!) or show that they are narrow minded. I'm not saying that Christians in general are like this AT ALL, but in my own personal experience this IS the experience I've had with ultra-conservative/fundamentalist type Christians and it's not at all pleasant or comfortable. Since I obviously know that Texas is in the Bible belt, this is why I asked the question. I want to make sure that our new home is a place we can feel included, comfortable and welcome regardless of our beliefs. I think that makes sense, right??

Jenny
mom2abm's Avatar mom2abm 03:12 PM 11-09-2004
I want to first say that I am not mad or anything. I really was not meaning to point fingers at you personally although it probably looked that way. This isn;t the first or last time I am sure that i will read negative comments about Christians as a whole on this board. Lets remember that just becasue someone professes to be a Christian they are not perfect. Now a death threat on someones answering machine sounds like a pyscho to me. That is really creepy. But comparing some emotionally unbablanced person to ALL christians in general(at least that is how it comes across) is just plain frustrating.

<<<And those of us NOT CC ARE the minority and treated badly quite often by those that are even when we DO NOT be ugly to them and even welcome them into our groups lives etc so maybe that is why you see/feel the bashing?
Most often those of us who are not do not say much unless it gets ugly or uncomfortable>>>>>>>

I could have written that only from my point of view.Take out the minority and I could have said that about one of the so called inclusive groups I attended. I suppose it goes both ways the only difference is if you "say " you are a Christian than people expect you to be perfect and when you are not well there goes those hypocritical Christians again thinknign they are better than everyone else.

All I am saying is lets not lump people together. I do not look at the moms who were being very rude and critical of Christian homeschoolers and republicans in general as speaking for ALL NON CHRISTIANS ALL DEMOCRATS. Again not ssaying you were but more often than not that is how it is portrayed.
I am saying all of this not in anger or anything but more in just wantign to have I guess a different viewpoint expressed. Not ALL evangelical Christians are mean thoughtless self rightous people.

By the way as someone who has extended breastfed(I am talking in terms of years not months with all three of my kids) carried them all in a sling for over a year a piece, homeschool, make my own bread ha ha ha, ect. ect. I have been subjected to people who didn't agree so I guess I have some understanding of being on the so called other side. I usually think of those people as being ignorant of the facts on the subject. I am NOT calling anyone here ignorant please do not misunderstand me but that is just what I think.

I have found more likeness to my AP stlye of parenting meeting other christain homeschoolers than the typical mainstream secular mom out there. OS I guess it has worked for me.

I hope that you have heard my thoughts on this and the intent behind them as nothing personal just thoughts that have been building since being on these boards since there inception. I have even met personally peggy Omara and although there are many things I may not agree with her on there are many many that i do and I really appreciate the magazine A LOT over the last 14 years.

So lets be inclusive of EVERYONE even Evangelical right winged Christians and think about how what we are saying is coming across to them. Lets face it there are MNAY of the human race who act like jerks whatever their religious affiliation is. Christains do not have the market cornered.

Sarah in Tx

mom2abm's Avatar mom2abm 03:49 PM 11-09-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMama
I just wanted to clarify I don't have a problem with Christians at all until they start preaching to me about their beliefs (I'm comfortable with mine, thanks!) or show that they are narrow minded. I'm not saying that Christians in general are like this AT ALL, but in my own personal experience this IS the experience I've had with ultra-conservative/fundamentalist type Christians and it's not at all pleasant or comfortable. Since I obviously know that Texas is in the Bible belt, this is why I asked the question. I want to make sure that our new home is a place we can feel included, comfortable and welcome regardless of our beliefs. I think that makes sense, right??

Jenny
I think that you would feel welcome here for sure. I am sorry for hijacking your thread. I just feel strongly about the subject. I would also agree that there are a lot of transplants here from other parts of the country I am one of them and there are all kinds of people that live here. I htink that you could find your niche and feel right at home. I feel that there is somehtign for everyone. Check out that DFW homescholers yahoo list that I told you about and read the archives. It will have some info on where some of the groups are.

Sarah In Tx.
CerridwenLorelei's Avatar CerridwenLorelei 06:38 PM 11-09-2004
homeschoolers list
I went yesterday to go set up my new addy with it and yahoo said it didn't exist anymore...

Sarah yes I think it was pyscho too but since it was the vp of the local group well..
That is really creepy. But comparing some emotionally unbablanced person to ALL christians in general(at least that is how it comes across) is just plain frustrating."

Umm NO I was NOT and did Not intend for that to come across that way -it was just one more point in a sore spot with me

and no one here ever said ALL were like that ManiacMama, Myself etc are ALL SPEAKING FROM OUR EXPERIENCE
Referring to Sheena's Post *WE * are the minority like it or not and as such it makes it harder for us to find groups etc
There are FOUR secular groups listed in my THSC handbook four out of eight pages.... and while most of us do have Christian friends and I even have one *Gasp* UCC friend we are not welcome usually .....

I don't give a flip what you are -as long as I don't have to be told that I am evil, going to hell, that I am using the wrong curricula because it is not Abeka or Bob Jones and my children will fry ( thanks but my kids are not MY religion they will choose their own paths someday)
I don't even ask what someone is -it is often after they ask "are you using bju/abeka/AO " and you say no that they often start in with you

Sarah I think I may know you and if so I am sorry you had that particular experience but it is usually the opposite...
TwinMom's Avatar TwinMom 07:19 PM 11-09-2004
I live in Plano and belong to a homeschooling group that is completely secular; it's based in McKinney. I know that there are many homeschooling groups around, but most of them require you to sign a statement of faith. : I have found many AP friends in the area, though I had to look online for them. As for being worried about race, I guess it depends on where you live, but in my area (NW Plano, nice subdivision) there are probably more Asians than Caucasians. When I go to our neighborhood park in the evening, it's not uncommon for Alec to be one of two (or the only) Caucasian child among the 20 that are there.

Don't be afraid, come play with us!
mom2abm's Avatar mom2abm 09:06 PM 11-09-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
homeschoolers list
I went yesterday to go set up my new addy with it and yahoo said it didn't exist anymore...

Sarah yes I think it was pyscho too but since it was the vp of the local group well..
That is really creepy. But comparing some emotionally unbablanced person to ALL christians in general(at least that is how it comes across) is just plain frustrating."

Umm NO I was NOT and did Not intend for that to come across that way -it was just one more point in a sore spot with me

and no one here ever said ALL were like that ManiacMama, Myself etc are ALL SPEAKING FROM OUR EXPERIENCE
Referring to Sheena's Post *WE * are the minority like it or not and as such it makes it harder for us to find groups etc
There are FOUR secular groups listed in my THSC handbook four out of eight pages.... and while most of us do have Christian friends and I even have one *Gasp* UCC friend we are not welcome usually .....

I don't give a flip what you are -as long as I don't have to be told that I am evil, going to hell, that I am using the wrong curricula because it is not Abeka or Bob Jones and my children will fry ( thanks but my kids are not MY religion they will choose their own paths someday)
I don't even ask what someone is -it is often after they ask "are you using bju/abeka/AO " and you say no that they often start in with you

Sarah I think I may know you and if so I am sorry you had that particular experience but it is usually the opposite...
Here is the e-mail addy for the DFW-hs list.
[email protected]

Well i hear you. I am very conservative and I have met some families that are way to legalistic even for me. I am not quite sure how one can show love if you are told you are going to burn in hell. That may work for some people but not most. That way of handling things just turns people off. WE homeschoolers are an independent lot and usually do not like to be told we have to do anything........well at least that would be me and a lot of the poeple I know. Oh and apparantly I am using the wrong currciculum as well!!ha ha ha Now that debate is a whole nother subject right??!!!!LOL BUt then I knwo a whole lot of other CHrisitan families that do not use those ccurriculums either. Oh you now what I lied my daughter is using Bob Jnes for life science ROFLOL I guess I am ok now!!LOL ( please take that for the humor it was meant to invoke)

I am not sure where to go with this. I guess hopefully we have all felt heard..

can you e-mail me privatly to let me know where you think you knwo me from??? I am curious.

Thanks!
Sarah in Tx.
CerridwenLorelei's Avatar CerridwenLorelei 12:27 AM 11-10-2004
I got your humour and so is the following sentence : You don't do total BJU why you heathen you -NOT LOL
AO has some nice stuff in its lifepaks ....

Hs'ers as a whole are a pretty independent lot aren't we

Yeah the whole burn in hell thing gets old

Esp when they find out the Eclectic Pagan they are preaching at is married to an Eclectic Christian of sorts LOL
1  2

Up