Mirror image writing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a bright 5.5 year old who has pretty much self taught herself reading in the last few months, and is doing really well on that front. We unschool at this point. She is liking to write more and more, but about 5-10% of the time, she will write the entire sentence/page she is writing entirely mirror image. She starts at the right side of the page, and all the letters are formed correcrly, just flipped. She never does it with just one letter, it seems to be some kind of mode her brain clicks on. I don't think she is doing it on purpose. I have just not commented on it at all, because I don't want to give her a hangup or stress about "is this right" (she's a pretty sensitive kid)
I'm not really worried about disorders or anything, I was just wondering if someone could shed light on this phenomenon. Here's an example. I think it is so cute.
!NUF AV STOL VOH !!!TARBALES (Celebrate!!! Have lots of fun !) LOL Except all the letters are flipped. I love phonetic kid spelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 PM

My DD does the exact same thing. If she write from left to right, she forms letters correctly. If she writes from right to left, she flips all of her letters. From what I understand, it is normal. And I am getting very good at reading backwards.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 PM

Abi likes to scatter her letters all over the page. It's like playing word jumble.

Sounds like you have a very creative girl who is able to see things from different perspectives.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 AM

I write in mirror writing quite naturally and always have. As a child, if I wrote from right to left I'd write in mirror writing. I can write with both hands, mirror write with both hands (at least I think I can still do it! :LOL), and I used to be able to write different things with each hand simultaneously (or type with one hand and write something completely different with the other ... both at the same time.) I haven't tried the latter in ages...hmmm... I can also read mirror writing as well as regular writing, can write and read upsidedown, etc.

It's just something that some kids to naturally...I wouldn't worry about it until she absolutely needs to write "correctly". I'd then still encourage her to write in mirror writing, as it's good exercise for the brain! My mom and I used to write notes back and forth in mirror writing, which I thought was a lot of fun!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 11-19-2004, 12:54 AM

Mirror image writing and writing scattered all over the page are developmental phases in writing. I wouldn't mention it to her or worry about it. It will resolve. Both my kids did this, and I worked as a reading aide with kindergardeners for a couple yrs and most of them seem to go through these phases.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:47 AM

Elizabeth does that as well. It's pretty crazy, considering it's an exact mirror image. I mean, if I wanted to do it I'd have to try a couple of times to get the letters perfectly switched. Aren't kids great?

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmomto1
My DD does the exact same thing. If she write from left to right, she forms letters correctly. If she writes from right to left, she flips all of her letters. From what I understand, it is normal. And I am getting very good at reading backwards.
Good to know this is "normal" - my ds sometimes writes words from r-l and when he does, the letters are all backwards, too. I was wondering if it was due to left-handedness or something. He only does it sometimes, and when he starts at the l and goes r, then the letters are correct.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:10 PM

My 5 year-old started writing words this way last year and is now does it with sentences half the time and she mirror writes her numbers. I know I used to do that, too and agree it is very normal. At least I hope so

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 11-19-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsMommy
Good to know this is "normal" - my ds sometimes writes words from r-l and when he does, the letters are all backwards, too. I was wondering if it was due to left-handedness or something. He only does it sometimes, and when he starts at the l and goes r, then the letters are correct.
Funny you should mention left-handedness - my DD is a leftie, too!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 PM

I used to write backwards with my left hand and forwards with my right hand when I was little. My kindergarten and first grade teachers forced me to write with my right hand (to the point of tieing my left arm to my chair). I am very clumsy and accident prone now, which my chiropractor says is a result of being forced into right-handedness. I encourage my DD to use either hand, as she is also showing signs of being ambidextrous like I used to be.

User Tag List