How to build confidence? - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > How to build confidence?
boysrus's Avatar boysrus 03:26 AM 08-30-2002
My 5 year old has taught himself to read. But, when he reads out loud, he whispers and reads really fast. How can I help him slow down and speak up without constantgly correcting him? Or should I just let him be until he is ready to speak up?

Also, does anyone have any ideas how to make practicing letters fun?

Mallory's Avatar Mallory 10:39 AM 08-30-2002
I think if he is reading for himself you should just let him go. Is he comprehending what he reads? But maybe if you read books together-you read a page, he reads a page- and you really hammed it up- lots of different voices, speeds, volumes- maybe he would start to think more about how it sounds when he reads. Or if he had another child to read to (or your dog or stuffed animal) he might be slower and louder.

Do you mean writting or names of letters?
Quote:
does anyone have any ideas how to make practicing letters fun?

Linda in Arizona's Avatar Linda in Arizona 01:43 PM 08-30-2002
I used to tutor literacy and one thing that really helped new readers develop fluency was duet reading. You and your son read outloud together, with you running your finger under the words as you read them. You go as a comfortable pace, not slow, not fast. If he stumbles over a word, you just keep reading -- allowing him to join back in. (Obviously, he needs to have the basics down and be able to read most of the words for this to work.) This takes the pressure off of decoding EVERY word. Select passages that very interesting to him and easy to read, but don't ask any comprehension questions or draw attention to parts that are difficult for him. With my adult students I worked up to about 15 mintues at a time, with a young child I would start with something very short -- maybe just 5 minutes. Both of the people I tutored really enjoyed this at the end of the lesson.

It is just something to try and see if you DS enjoys this kind of practice. Different things work for different people
Dar's Avatar Dar 05:25 PM 08-30-2002
There was series of beginning readers out out about 20 years ago that were all plays, and I found that both my students and my daughter really enjoyed them. The reading was in small "chunks", for each characters lines, so it didn't seem overwhelming, and because they were "being" a character, they naturally focused on reading the lines with certain intonations, and loud enough for the "audience". Some we turned into puppet shows, others we just read together... the series I had was a set of books with names like "Bears" and "Boats", put out by Houghton Mifflin and probably available on ebay or used schoolbook sites onlines... but any simple plays would work.

Dar
breathingmom's Avatar breathingmom 09:41 PM 08-30-2002
We purchased a small inexpensive tape recorder and let our ds have fun tape recording himself. He realized how quietly he was reading and learned to slow down too. It was a fun way for him to realize how quiet and fast he was reading.

He also loved learning how to use the tape cassette by himself! It's great to hear all the wonderful ideas!

~Jill
SRHS's Avatar SRHS 05:02 PM 01-17-2003
We did letters int he sand at the beach...could it get any more fun???? if your environment doesn't allow for such, try the dirt or what ever, Zac also like "building" letters iwth LEgos and Tinkertoys. Also have heard wonderful things about Handwriting without Tears (see www.sonlight.com)
LizD's Avatar LizD 08:12 PM 01-17-2003
The Waldorf method of teaching the alphabet is usually a lot of fun for the children, though in the schools it is done in first grade. There's a story and then a picture for every letter. The letter can be found in the picture. When I taught this way in school even the children who were reading fluently enjoyed it. If you are interested there's a lot available on line in terms of books and lesson plans.
Up