Television as an Educational Tool - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think when letter boxing was mentioned the person meant this http://www.letter-boxing.com/ Similar to geocaching (but more low tech for if you don't have a global positioning thingybob).

That's too bad about the ham radio. I hope to get one some day. My grandpa was into it and I always thought it was cool.

Cynthia, have you asked your kids what they would like to do? Maybe they can come up with some ideas of big projects they could get into.

I admit the lack of a library threw me for a loop! Are there not any at all there or just too far from you?

Babybugmama, my mom read an article recently that said that the brain actually appears to keep growing til the mid 50's! She was bummed to read that because she's in her late 50's so now we joke that she is going downhill but I'm still improving :LOL

I enjoy container gardening. I now have a tiny garden in the ground, but when I was living in apartments I was always able to grow at least cherry tomatoes.
#32 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Heh. Just out of curiosity I googled geocaching and Saudi Arabia. http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/saudi_arabia.shtml I didn't get any hits for letter boxing in Saudi Arabia though. With geocaching you do have to buy the global positioning thingy but you can use the money you would have spent on the satellite.

I *really* want to get into this stuff when my kids are a bit older. It sounds *so* much fun!!!!

edited to add this article describing it http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/6498035.htm

edited again because it's a GPS, global positioning system, not a global positioning thingybob
#33 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 03:48 PM

yes, that is what I meant by letterboxing. similar to geocaching, but free, no need to buy a gps.
If there isnt any letterboxes there, maybe you could plant some and get people interested?

Have you thought about getting them internet penpals? What about Flat Travelers? That is similar to Flat Stanley, but it is for homeschoolers. Here is a link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlatTravelers/
when I searched ot flat travelers on yahoo, I also found a flat travelers homeschool one. The first one I listed was originally for hsers, but has expanded. Here is the other group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flat_t...rs_homeschool/
#34 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Cynthia,
I found this great site with tons of links.
http://www.tv-turnoff.org
Can't find any specific references to adult tv viewing at this second (except health risks such as obesity and back pain) but will keep looking!
I just skimmed over some of "The Plug In Drug" again. Every time I read it I feel more strongly that kids should not watch tv. I know that many kids learn from watching but I still believe that the research shows that the risks are not worth it. There is nothing on tv they can't learn by reading, playing, or interacting with others.
I am not totally against tv. There are a few shows I watch, maybe about 3 hours per week some weeks, but there are so many other things for kids to do. I have seen my 4 yr old in front of the tv at his grandmother's house. I can't stand to watch it. He sits completely focused, without even blinking. It's kind of scary!
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#35 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 PM

Anytime society discovers a new form of media society freaks out. People thought it was going to be the end of the world with the glutenburg (sorry can't spell) press. Electricity, the internet, video games and on and on. What makes TV any different. As I said earlier in this thread I use to be VERY ati TV and have changed the way I feel. I now think that I was the one with the problem not the TV was the problem.

On adults with obesity linked to watching TV. Perhaps it is more likly the sedatary lives that people lead today. If you work in an office job sitting on your butt all day and then go home and sit on your butt and watch TV all night I can understand how that would lead to obesity.
#36 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM

At this point I wouldn't call TV new. We have 50 years of research now showing that it does affect us in negative ways.
Just facts, no judgements.

Suzy

#37 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Anything can be abused, though, IMO. I mean, if a kid sits in his room reading for 10 hours/day he's being still and not getting much else out of life. What if he's reading only comic books? Or the same books over and over? Things in moderation work best, I would say. There is a lot of crap on TV that we do NOT watch or let our kids watch. They probably watch a few hours of TV/week in the winter and none in the summer. I don't see how that small amount (most of which is educational TV) could harm them. Our TV is closed in a cupboard most of the time. They have limited computer time, time with friends, etc. All things in moderation is my motto.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#38 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM

It's not the content that matters, though. Educational or not, the act of watching television changes the way the viewer's brain is working. It's not about parents making sure their kids don't watch crap. It is purely the act of watching that is the problem. Not to mention that they don't need to be sitting still with their eyes glazed over for any length of time. One study found that tv put kids in an "easily manipulated" type of trance. Their brain waves were in a semi sleep/hypnotic state where they were more likely to believe whatever they were watching.
No thanks!

Suzy

#39 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM

Cynthia, Over the years my children have raised bunnies, chickens, chinchillias, sugargliders, and attempted to breed birds. We have found this to be a very educational hobby and a lot of fun too.

We also enjoy watching educational videos and programs on the Discovery and History channels, as well as Animal Planet, PBS, etc. We have also found some interesting radio programs that are broadcast for kids and adults alike on various channels. I don't know what the radio broadcast is like there, but you could check that out. I'm sure that National Geographic and others have audio tapes available for purchase as well as videos and dvds. Another choice might be books on audio tape.

I'm sure you will find the right balance for your family concerning TV.
#40 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&gsmom
At this point I wouldn't call TV new. We have 50 years of research now showing that it does affect us in negative ways.
Just facts, no judgements.

Suzy
Considering the length of time humans have been around I'd say 50 years is VERY new technology. That being said maybe you wouldn't want children to watch TV just because there hasn't been enough research. Every family is going to have to think about what is best for them.

Waldorf education teaches that TV is not appropriate for children at all. Radical unschoolers will tell you that there is not a such thing as limiting a child's TV. Two very different philosophies from two really great approaches to education both proven to work well. Which is right? I think it is really dependent on the families lifestyle, values, and personality.
#41 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass
Electricity, the internet, video games and on and on. What makes TV any different.
I was only referring to the technology you listed. TV is certainly newer by far than the internet and video games. We're not talking about the history of mankind. We're talking about TV and our children. The OP asked for our opinions and information. There are risks to consider that are well documented.

Cynthia,
I hope you find something useful in this. TV is always a hot topic. Those who let their kids watch it get very defensive when you mention any risks. It's funny to me that everyone is always trying to get me to let my boys watch TV. I don't go around preaching to people about it but for some reason, when people find out that we don't let them watch, they want to change our minds. You would think we were depriving them of food, not TV. It's not like it's crucial to their well being.

Suzy

#42 of 48 Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 PM

OT:

Suzy, have you posted on the Mamas of TV Free Children thread in TAO yet?
#43 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 12:00 AM

No. What's TAO?
I usually just check out the homeschool, MD and breastfeeding forums.

#44 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 AM

Oops, I meant FYT. It stands for the Finding Your Tribe forum. We have a tribe there for mamas of TV free children. You should come and join in on the discussion.

TAO = Talk Amongst Ourselves.

Sorry to derail your thread Cynthia.
#45 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 12:29 AM

#46 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Suzy, I find it all useful and a big part of me agrees with the concerns about television (though I'm not so sure about the brain changes hypothesis/theory). It's just that other part of me that has and still does enjoy television so much (though I rarely watch anything) questions if it can be used beneficially for my children.

#47 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 AM

I also find the info useful. Most of my kid's friends (my older kids) have TV's and computers in their rooms, they watch TV to help them get to sleep! I'm really bothered by that but I guess the TV free parents are probably bothered by me letting my kids watch a few hours of TV/week. To each his own, eh? I think if you don't let your kids watch TV you are awesome! I don't have that much strength, though. Sometimes I do use it so I can get something done. Not alot, but occasionally. I wouldn't try to talk TV free people into watching TV, ever!

Anyway, good food for thought here!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#48 of 48 Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 PM

We love Discovery Kids, and the History Channel here!

I would definately "SCRAMBLE" nickelodeon, I hate that channel, other than the preschool programs on nick jr (which I think your kids wouldn't enjoy) it is trash t.v. in my opinion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page